• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Being prepared?

JessiFox

Novice Camper
I'm very new to camping, in fact the only times I ever have I was a young child and didn't really have much responsibility regarding the whole thing. Now I'm interested in taking my own son, and I'm wondering what are some basic things you'd suggest in terms of preparedness?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Well...depending on how old your son is. If he is younger you might want to start him off camping in the backyard, if you have one. If not, try a conservation park near by and make it a weekender. Even one night out could be a good start.

For young campers [and adults too] it is the fear of the unknown. It's interesting how what they have heard and what they have seen on television contributes to the fear factor. Dumb stories of bears and wolves and the like don't help the process. I DO NOT ENCOURAGE ANY STORY OR SUGGESTION that can cause fear [in anyone] when it comes to camping.

Anyway. A feeling of security is important [probably for you too]. That's when it is wise to team up with others for your first experience. It helps with supervision and you can share equipment and costs to keep the expenses down.

Having youngsters share in some of the decision making helps them have ownership and builds excitement. For example, "What kind of food do you think we should bring?" "I think we better go shopping so you can pick out a flashlight." "What do you think, should teddy come along on our trip too?"

I'll stop here and give you sometime to think of some specific questions.

I, along with other Camp Babblers would be happy to share our experience. :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well...depending on how old your son is. If he is younger you might want to start him off camping in the backyard, if you have one. If not, try a conservation park near by and make it a weekender. Even one night out could be a good start.
Yep, that is how I started out. I remember having a fold up tent and setting it up in the backyard in the afternoons. It wasn't the best tent and it was pretty small (even for a little kid) but it sparked my interest in camping. And then when I went to summer camp, I know for the youngest campers they camp on the premises whereas for the older campers they take them off to different areas by canoe.

Anyway. A feeling of security is important [probably for you too]. That's when it is wise to team up with others for your first experience. It helps with supervision and you can share equipment and costs to keep the expenses down.
Yes, you probably spend a lot of time looking after your son if he is young especially and if you go camping there are a lot of extra jobs to do like setting up the tents, tending to the fire, etc. that might mean requiring extra help for supervision. Especially with all the ways you can hurt yourself when you are camping.

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
Oh yeah!!! Camping in the backyard was the best!! My parent thought it was a bit dangerous for my friends and I who were only 11 at the time to camp on our own, so they let us camp out in the back yard. You get to set up the tent, hang out with the friends, and still have modern plumbing. We even had a small barbecue pit where we just cooked hotdogs and rice. It might not be the a real camping trip but it does get you ready for a night away from electricity.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
But to an 11 year old - out in a tent with buds, away from Mom and Dad can be the start of future adventures for sure. And like you say - if you really need to - all the conveniences are readily available.

JessiFox

Novice Camper
My son is 10, so perhaps starting small is the way to go...I like your suggestion of giving some choices and responsibilities as well, that's something we employ with pretty much everything from cooking & meal planning to trips and it definitely helps his interest and sense of independence about things. I think we all have some great back yard camping memories, and sometimes even just that bit of freedom without mom and dad goes a long way :).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
If you can start with good camping ideas and techniques - it assures camping success in the future. You might want to take a trip to your local library and look up some good books. There might even be an age level video. Whatever you do - have fun - because that it what it is suppose to be. :thumbsup: