• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Best Type of Tent For Long Camping Trips

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Oh, I am just a avid reader of non-fiction and I like to study in person the things I read about and write about. I like including video's because I think seeing things helps to educate other than just adding plain information, I know it helps me. A pro, naw! :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Oh, I am just a avid reader of non-fiction and I like to study in person the things I read about and write about. I like including video's because I think seeing things helps to educate other than just adding plain information, I know it helps me. A pro, naw! :)
I don't know about that...the stuff you write about looks mighty good. That's probably why you get so many likes. :happy:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
o_Oo_O Well, thank you for your kind words. We both get this award. :)

sign.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
When you go backpacking what tent do you use?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
When you go backpacking what tent do you use?
I have more than one - Eagle's Camp Scout Bivy Tent [with full added fly], a Coleman Hooligan, an Ozark Trail Tent, a MEC Volt 3 and a Cabela's Bivy. The best ones are the Hooligan and the MEC Volt 3. I haven't used the Cabela's Bivy for some time - I feel like I'm sleeping in a coffin.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I was looking at that Eagle Camp Scout Tent and wondered does it have room for a tall person. It looks to be a fair size, and says it sleeps 2, but I did not know if that mean't two children or adults.

eagle.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I was looking at that Eagle Camp Scout Tent and wondered does it have room for a tall person. It looks to be a fair size, and says it sleeps 2, but I did not know if that mean't two children or adults.

View attachment 45
Actually it is small and no way would you get two men in there; possibly two boys. And it is is useless without a full fly. I like it personally because it takes up little space in my pack compared to some. When I'm inside the best is that I can kneel - the height is about 3 or 4 feet. But...it does take my bed and mattress and the small wrap up ground table that I have. The dog can stretch out fine - but the space is small.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Well in looking over the other tents on Cabela's site I like a couple of the dome tents and like the Trekker. I was trying to figure out if it has zipper window flaps on the inside or just the rain fly on the top. Have you ever seen on of these tents?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Well in looking over the other tents on Cabela's site I like a couple of the dome tents and like the Trekker. I was trying to figure out if it has zipper window flaps on the inside or just the rain fly on the top. Have you ever seen on of these tents?
I believe that they have zippers - I don't think that there are any good tents that don't. Some will have valcro. The description should have that information.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I have a way of reading the reviews and one person said the seams were not made well in the Trekker, so I am a bit put off my that review. Still looking in hopes of getting a tent closer to what I need and what works in our weather. :(

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I have a way of reading the reviews and one person said the seams were not made well in the Trekker, so I am a bit put off my that review. Still looking in hopes of getting a tent closer to what I need and what works in our weather. :(
Selecting a piece of equipment is not easy if you are a serious camper.

Most manufactures suggest that a seam [water based] sealer be used [in the inside]. When I'm reading customer reviews I read several because I come across amateurs who don't have a lot of experience who criticize out of ignorance. The Trekker still has
a good reputation for the kind of tent that it is. Tents are like cars - no one vehicle has the things that we want at the price we want to pay.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
You are right. No tent is going to have everything I want and maybe I am getting too fussy. But as a woman, I want a good well built tent that will last me many years. Not a tent who's seams are bad straight from the box, or one with too much screen venting in the top. Our weather in Pa, is often cold and damp. Not always from rain, but more so from thick fog almost every night. We do have those hot humid nights in August, but then it goes back to cool weather soon after. I need at least a three season tent that offers more protection from the elements and yet has windows to provide cross ventilation on humid nights.
I hope to find one that is easy to set up as well. Does that explain why I question so much before buying?? :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
You are right. No tent is going to have everything I want and maybe I am getting too fussy. But as a woman, I want a good well built tent that will last me many years. Not a tent who's seams are bad straight from the box, or one with too much screen venting in the top. Our weather in Pa, is often cold and damp. Not always from rain, but more so from thick fog almost every night. We do have those hot humid nights in August, but then it goes back to cool weather soon after. I need at least a three season tent that offers more protection from the elements and yet has windows to provide cross ventilation on humid nights.
I hope to find one that is easy to set up as well. Does that explain why I question so much before buying?? :)
I can appreciate that. There was a time that I would buy a tent - because it looked great. I'm a little more educated now and I guess I have a few more bucks too that enable me to be a bit picky.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
One thing I find amusing in reading about the different tents is when they say they can be opened from the inside and outside. Dah! I certainly hope so. If your zipped inside you need to get out and if your zipped out you need to get in. If I can get in, but can not shut the tent or if I can get out but not be able to close up the tent, then I might as well have a tarp over a stick. Sometimes the descriptions border on goofy. :rolleyes:o_Oo_O

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
One thing I find amusing in reading about the different tents is when they say they can be opened from the inside and outside. Dah! I certainly hope so. If your zipped inside you need to get out and if your zipped out you need to get in. If I can get in, but can not shut the tent or if I can get out but not be able to close up the tent, then I might as well have a tarp over a stick. Sometimes the descriptions border on goofy. :rolleyes:o_Oo_O
Speaking of tents L.L. Bean has a 20% off sale. [In celebration of your Memorial Day.]

It is interesting to see people who can't get out of their tent immediately - absolute panic. :woot:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I will go over and check out their sale. You mentioned something in your comment about the Eagle Camp Scout Biey Tent, being no good without the full fly. Does it not come with that, or maybe I am looking at the wrong tent as it looks to be one piece with no added fly. It look like a good backpacking tent although I am med tall, but could curl up to fit inside. And I am looking at the Eagle Camp Dome Tents with room for 4 people. Looks like it might be easy to set up and take down. A starter tent for now. :):happy:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
It is interesting to see people who can't get out of their tent immediately - absolute panic.

You would panic too if you had to go and the zipper on your tent or pants, would not open. That is a true emergency! :arghh::happy:

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I will go over and check out their sale. You mentioned something in your comment about the Eagle Camp Scout Biey Tent, being no good without the full fly. Does it not come with that, or maybe I am looking at the wrong tent as it looks to be one piece with no added fly. It look like a good backpacking tent although I am med tall, but could curl up to fit inside. And I am looking at the Eagle Camp Dome Tents with room for 4 people. Looks like it might be easy to set up and take down. A starter tent for now. :):happy:
The Eagle Scout Bivy does not come with a fly and actually it is very small. Definitely a back packers tent. On a scale from 1 to 10....probably a 3.