• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

boy/girl scouts

Libragirl67

Many of us have had the experience of being either a girlscout or a boyscout. So now that you are an adult, how much of your scouting has helped you in your camping adventures? Do you put any of it into practice?

TABL

Explorer
My children are scouts. I was a Girl Scout, but barely. Two years?
My kids are awesome though! The boys can start fires, know how to do it, make shelter, etc. They also know lots of tricks.
They go camping with Scouts and it's pretty cool. My daughter loves the winter camping too.

From being a Scout Leader, I learned lots of cool recipes to cook over a campfire (though my kids didn't like many we tried...)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I was a Girl Scout, although the most of what we did was girl stuff to earn badges. My brother was a Boy scout and I thought he had the best of times going camping with the scouts and learning all the neat camping chores like setting up tents and survival gear use. All the things I wanted to do at that time but never got the chance to do so until I was older and went camping with family and friends.

sea_goin_dude

Novice Camper
I was in cub and boy scouts when younger. One camp trip especially got my attention. We were in the scouts at FT BENNING GA. They gave us some land just for scouts and we camped there several times. On this one campout we got all set for the night and about dark it started raining I'm talking raining so hard you could not see. The rains lasted maybe 20 or 30 minutes then stopped for 10 or 15 so we could bail some of the guys out who put their tents in low places, then back in tents for next rain. It did this all night and EVERYTHING WAS WET BUT WE ALL HAD A GOOD TIME and were ready to go next time. ONE note scoutmasters at FT BENNING seemed to always be second LT'S who were trying to pick up a few points. BUT on this particular trip with all the rain OUT LT slept in his RAMBLER CLASSIC. TOUGH guy. Oh well as i said we had a great time and finally dried out after couple of days and were ready for the next time. It's all fun.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...as many already know I was expelled as a Cub Scout. I can still still hear Akala's stern words ringing in my ears as I left the hall. "I never want to see you again - ever."

Anyway - years later I became an awarded Leader and eventually a national trainer.

Madman4800

Survivalist
I was a Scout as a boy. Now my boys are in Scouts and I am one of several leaders. I use what I've learned in Scouts not just for camping but everyday life. There is much more to Scouting then just camping. I think everyone should give Scouting a try. And for the girls there is Venture Scouts that is coed. They do a lot of the same things that Boy Scouts do. In fact my son just got back from National Jamboree in WV were there were Venture Scouts.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I was a Scout as a boy. Now my boys are in Scouts and I am one of several leaders. I use what I've learned in Scouts not just for camping but everyday life. There is much more to Scouting then just camping. I think everyone should give Scouting a try. And for the girls there is Venture Scouts that is coed. They do a lot of the same things that Boy Scouts do. In fact my son just got back from National Jamboree in WV were there were Venture Scouts.
-----> Most were aware of the Jamboree - if people weren't you sure were after your President's address. :)

Madman4800

Survivalist
-----> Most were aware of the Jamboree - if people weren't you sure were after your President's address. :)
At least the BSA apologized. I can't understand what Trump was thinking and I don't think I want to know. It would probably just make my head hurt.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk