• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Boy Scouts ban obese kids from outing

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Personally I don't see how any of the things they are doing wouldn't be possible if the kid was overweight. I've known plenty of overweight people growing up and they generally had no problems doing the same activities. Sure, they may not be able to run as fast or jump as high or have as much stamina but I can't see that as making them a liability and besides denying an overweight person exercise just compounds the problem does it not?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/health/boy-scouts-bmi/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Seems to me it would be one of the best things for these kids to get outside and learn new skills and enjoy the great outdoors. Would no doubt lose some weight once they got into the outdoor adventures of camping and fishing, and hiking. It is a real shame that the boy scouts are changing their membership rules and motto's.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well they are claiming it for safety of the overweight child and the well being of the other kids. A BMI of 40 is a lot more than just a little overweight... Here's a picture to get an idea:

news%5CBMI2.jpg

I don't enjoy that rule. The outdoors is great for anybody, especially for someone who needs more physical activity in their life.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
If the child is morbidly obese then I can understand to a point their concerns about this person being fit enough to do the various outings and projects. But instead of totally banning these kids it would be better to require statements from a doctor saying if the child has high risk health concerns or if the exercise would do him good and if it is safe for the child to be attending boy scouts and camping.

I am against this ideas of banning people without do cause.

Madman4800

Survivalist
Our troop welcomes all. We have um all shapes, sizes, colors. All kids need to be watched for different reasons and saying an obese kid cant do something is like saying a dyslexic kid cant read a book. Any Scout troop that follows a rule like that should absolutely be ashamed of the selves.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...let me see now - how does the leadership shape up? Can they climb the walls, hike the trails, ride the bikes, canoe, water ski and participate in a host of other physical activity? My observation is that the best groups are the ones that have sound leadership AND physically fit Scouters. The least active are the ones led by overweight Leaders. This comes from a past Accredited National Trainer. So maybe we should check it from the top down?

upload_2017-7-29_15-13-19.jpeg
Whatdaya mean?

:bear: Baden Bear here, "OOPS! Dancer stepped over the line. Ya see, he said, "I'll only going to share/comment on Camp Issues and not get involved in the other stuff." "Guess he broke his own rule."