• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Camping in Alaska

Jason76

Novice Camper
Any ideas for summer camping there? What would be the best spots? Anyway, I'm sure the camping is free. However, though, because of the isolation, do you think it's tougher to get along with other campers? What precautions need to be taken?

rz3300

Explorer
Well I am not sure I could do this without an extensive amount of planning. It just has the feeling of that place where even reading up on it is not enough, and the land might have its own secrets that only the experienced know. Or not, that is just the feel I get from Alaska.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Your best bet is to contact an agency of the Alaskan Government or check out the web for camp sites in Alaska. You might be a able to get public land camp sites, but then it might be best to stay with the state parks and explore future possibilities.

CHECK WITH: Alaska Department of Natural Resources - Division of Parks and Recreation. They have all the information that you need.

rz3300

Explorer
Well that sounds pretty intense without really even knowing all that much of the details. I would almost guarantee that whatever sights you can see up there would be worth any of the risk that comes with the territory. It is a vast area so I would be curious to learn about all the different places you could visit.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I once was offered a cruise to Alaska. There were 2 packages to choose from, 1 is the winter package to experience the cold Alaska and the other 1 is the summer package. The cruise has a stopover of 4 days in the Alaska port and the tourists are given the privilege of land tour. Based on the literature of the flyer, it is not an ordinary place so camping outdoors would need a seasoned guide. There was a warning about dangerous animals and that really scared me. Well, the cruise was very expensive so it was nearly impossible for us to avail of that.

Jason76

Novice Camper
I think Alaska would be like the Wild West, to be honest. I'm not sure what grip law enforcement has on the more isolated spots. In that case, I don't know if just average campers, lacking the right skills, should try it.

The cruise has a stopover of 4 days in the Alaska port and the tourists are given the privilege of land tour.
I'd want to experience both.