• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Chinese researchers link obesity to bacteria

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Researchers in Shanghai found that mice bred to be resistant to obesity even when fed high-fat foods became excessively overweight when injected with a kind of human bacteria and subjected to a rich diet. The bacterium—known as enterobacter—had been linked with obesity after being found in high quantities in the gut of a morbidly obese human volunteer, said the report, written by researchers at Shanghai's Jiaotong University.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-12-china-link-obesity-bacteria.html#jCp

Personally I think think that there is probably some link from that bacteria, however I don't believe it would cause anything significant enough to prevent a determined person from successfully maintaining a healthy weight.

Esperahol

...Correlation is not causation, but then again I don't think we have correlation here. Just because these bacteria were found in the gut of an obese human doesn't mean the bacteria cause or even contribute to obesity. Being resistant is not the same as being immune to a condition - therefore simply feeding the mice a rich diet may well have been enough to turn them fat. I am seriously calling shenanigans here.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Norrwen said:
Well, I better stay away from that bacteria. I hope it's not near me...
I don't think its something you can help, some people just have it apparently or perhaps it is related to something hormonal.

ACSAPA

That's interesting but people who are overweight and go on a diet and start a fitness program lose weight, regardless of bacteria. The animals in the study were fed a "rich diet" after being injected with the bacteria. I don't think they would have gained weight without the rich diet even with the bacteria.

For people who legitimately have this problem, I feel bad for them. But I hope that other people don't start using bacteria as an excuse to inhale 2 Big Macs and a sheet cake while watching a Here Comes Honey Boo Boo marathon.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
ACSAPA said:
That's interesting but people who are overweight and go on a diet and start a fitness program lose weight, regardless of bacteria. The animals in the study were fed a "rich diet" after being injected with the bacteria. I don't think they would have gained weight without the rich diet even with the bacteria.
Well, in reality I think that although it can make a difference it is still possible for someone with this condition to be in excellent shape. This somewhat just confirms what people have considered common knowledge about people's body types. For some it may be harder or easier to put on fat or muscle but like you said that's no excuse.

ACSAPA said:
But I hope that other people don't start using bacteria as an excuse to inhale 2 Big Macs and a sheet cake while watching a Here Comes Honey Boo Boo marathon.
Haha, that's just sad. :s

AurelioLeo

I can say it is how much you portion yourself out. In the United States a lot of American people at the dinner table like to help themselves to "seconds" or even "thirds". They will eat a huge meal at the end of the day and shortly after they go to bed and retain all those calories. If they would make breakfast their biggest meal they have all day to burn that off.

Libragirl67

I have never understood how people can rationalize their weight issues. This is not rocket science we are trying to equate here. This is very simple. If you eat a high fat diet and do little to no exercise then you gain weight. This is very cut and dry. There are so many pills and fads that are so silly. And people even go as far as to have gastric bypass surgery. People eat at McDonalds on a regular basis and wonder why their butt gets so big. It is crazy how our society thinks.

Esperahol

Libragirl67 said:
I have never understood how people can rationalize their weight issues. This is not rocket science we are trying to equate here. This is very simple. If you eat a high fat diet and do little to no exercise then you gain weight. This is very cut and dry. There are so many pills and fads that are so silly. And people even go as far as to have gastric bypass surgery. People eat at McDonalds on a regular basis and wonder why their butt gets so big. It is crazy how our society thinks.
It isn't exactly as simple as you make it. It's easy to say - eat less and be skinny. However, you have HFC in everything which is the food equivalent of crack as the research has proven. You have economics influencing what is sold in stores and how food is both grown and prepared. You have the issues of population genetics versus the specter of modern child-rearing where a 13 yr. old can be stolen off a school bus and imprisoned for a decade or more being horribly traumatized. You also have children who grow bigger at faster rates, as well as a tendency to capitalize on that by sexual activity at a younger stage.

That said... some people have actual brain damage or genetic issues or health concerns that do in fact require the need for gastric bypass surgery. It's not generally considered a cosmetic surgery for people who do like Big Macs. It's insulting to make that assumption.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Esperahol said:
It isn't exactly as simple as you make it. It's easy to say - eat less and be skinny. However, you have HFC in everything which is the food equivalent of crack as the research has proven. You have economics influencing what is sold in stores and how food is both grown and prepared. You have the issues of population genetics versus the specter of modern child-rearing where a 13 yr. old can be stolen off a school bus and imprisoned for a decade or more being horribly traumatized. You also have children who grow bigger at faster rates, as well as a tendency to capitalize on that by sexual activity at a younger stage.

That said... some people have actual brain damage or genetic issues or health concerns that do in fact require the need for gastric bypass surgery. It's not generally considered a cosmetic surgery for people who do like Big Macs. It's insulting to make that assumption.
I have to disagree with pretty much everything you wrote but I'm glad you are not disagreeing that if you eat less (calories) you will lose weight.

1) While its true that with the food that is available in stores it is easy to eat poorly, however to suggest that fat people have someone other than themselves to blame because the food is addictive is absurd. Even if that were true that is addictive, comparing it to crack is ridiculous. There is temptations all around us to do things which aren't beneficial in the long term but that's why you need to have will power. Also it doesn't explain why the majority of people maintain a healthy weight while some are fat or even obese.

2) Are you referring to child abductions when you mention a 13 year old being stolen from a bus and imprisoned? To me this is irrelevant because this is far from a normal occurrence and because I don't see what it has to do with obesity or food consumption.

3) Again, brain damage or health problems are outliers and do not make up the majority of cases of people with weight problems. Even if this were the case it is not an excuse to be over weight. Sure, it makes it more difficult when your bodies internal mechanisms do not work and you are constantly hungry and craving food but that doesn't mean you can't live a healthy life style. There are many tools available online now that can help you track caloric intake and can be very helpful in showing you how much you are really eating.