• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle Larva

gracer

Explorer
Hi guys! :)

I just want to share about something I've just learned from a local show here in my area which featured the coconut rhinoceros beetle larva locally known by the term "uok" as a very edible food for people who are exploring the outdoors. They can be found in dead coconut trunks or inside bamboo trunks and can be eaten raw or cooked depending on a person's preference. They are usually fried with soy sauce, pepper and some chili. One should remove the head first before sipping the contents of the body.

Another version of this worm is called bamboo worms which turn into grass moths. They can be a good source of protein and iron so they're a good alternative to protein rich food.

uok+group+2.JPG

Photo courtesy of redhiker.blogspot.com

This picture comes from a blog I just read where the writer has shared his experience eating them while hiking.

gracer

Explorer
Basing on the article I've read, it tastes fruity and juicy with some essence of peanut when eaten raw and when you grill it, it somehow tastes like juicy lychee with a gummy texture. I think for me I'd prefer grilling it instead of eating it raw though. Others would cook it like how they cook their regular dishes but frying it is one of the basic ways of cooking it. :)