• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you plan to camp weeks in advance?

CherylTorrie

Novice Camper
My family and friends are always asking me how I can wait to the last minute to pack and go camping. Most of them would have to make reservations, make an equipment and food list, schedule their time and arrange for the mail to be stopped :0 weeks or even months before going camping. Me I just wing it. I always have my equipment stored in a neat organized way in it's closet and I don't need special food when I camp, I just take what ever I have here or stop to get more. I may or may not make reservations, depending on the time of year, but I usually just go thinking that I will luck into a good site. Mostly I camp when the mood strikes me and I have time off of my 9-5 job. Do you plan every trip or just go?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Love your style @CherylTorrie - an independent - a person of means - a determined individual - a weekend warrior...etc. :)

Well...can you believe? The first canoe trip in June 2016 is already planned. Yep...menus and such are also planned. What kind of tent are we taking? I'll make that decision as I get closer to the day.

I'm hoping to have another Lab trained or partly trained by then. I really really miss Reese.

CherylTorrie

Novice Camper
Ahhh, I hope you find a Lab that is easy to train and happy to be loved. Oh wait, all labs are. :) I send hugs to you as you heart heals. I still miss Dakota after 5 years, perhaps he and Reece are playing now.
PS yes I believe you are a planner. :)
Dakota.jpg

actadh

Explorer
I will solo tent camp on the spur of the moment. Most of my stuff lives in the trunk of my car.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Sort of, I sort of decide I want to go camping a long long time in advance but then it often gets delayed or all the actual planning will happen at the last minute

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
True...life gets in the way. But I have found the more I plan the better it is - that goes for financial, life and other social stuff as well. I can't afford to leave my camping possibilities to whim - there is a possibility that things will not happen.

CherylTorrie

Novice Camper
Sort of, I sort of decide I want to go camping a long long time in advance but then it often gets delayed or all the actual planning will happen at the last minute
So, you plan to go, want to go, and actually rush around at the last minute when it looks likes it's finally going to happen. :) That sounds like me when I get asked out on a date. ;)

killeroy154

Survivalist
I try to plan ahead because of vacation scheduling at work and making sure mama is happy while I am away (she don't realy care for camping). My friend and I were getting ready to go, so I had everything in the basement ready to throw in and go, but somehow I forgot my 0 degree bag sitting on table with every other useless stuff I bring. I was very upset and cold the first night. If it wasn't for the old wool army blankets I would have froze.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...that's what planning is all about. :) I'm a great one for check off lists. Everything goes on the veranda and is checked off before being packed.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Over the years I've seen a lot of funny stuff - like the group that forgot their food; one group didn't bring their tents and so on. The funniest was a group who left a leader behind who was paying for lunch. Apparently he was delayed and then went to the "can". They canoed to their first site early evening before anyone realized that a fearless leader was missing.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg9vnF8WhNlXJFYOxQWYQ5a4IUclb80ZYQxheCE3cvo1UJAFwbow.jpg
Let me see now...