• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dogs and Camping

BMWPOWER

Staff member
Not necessarily.

If you are prepared to do a little work. Dogs can be fabulous camping companions as well as fun.

I can identify with the really active stuff.
Reese goes absolutely nuts when he gets into the car. I've done just about every thing possible and tried every psychological trick in the book - fail...ure.

So...what do I do? Since I am travelling some distance to get to a base camp the vet gives me a sedative to give to him. Now instead of jumping up and down and moaning and groaning - he just sits looking out the window. My buds tell me that I'm the only guy they know who's dog is on drugs.

But it works and saves him and me. When we get to where we are going his back to normal and usually heads down the lake for a cold drink [of water].

I can share more if you like.
He had a pretty bad first car experience when it was the first time I was bringing him home. I think that got to him, from then on every time he sees a car, he backs away. When you forcefully put him inside he just starts puking on the seat and floor, even when the car is not in motion.

we really cant take him anywhere

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
He had a pretty bad first car experience when it was the first time I was bringing him home. I think that got to him, from then on every time he sees a car, he backs away. When you forcefully put him inside he just starts puking on the seat and floor, even when the car is not in motion.

we really cant take him anywhere
A bit sad - we always think of our dogs ready and willing to follow us over the hill.

How old is the dog? Is it worth starting at 101? That's what I had to do.

Though my circumstance is a bit different I consulted the on line pros to get some ideas. As you know they didn't really work. My dog loves the car - it was his behaviour that I had trouble with. So...in came the medication for the long trips.
:(:beaver: sort of a dog look

I'm really sorry to hear that; :( it is an experience that I have never had in all my years of camping and canoeing. I sort of hope that my dog would warn me of night creatures, [if need be] but have never regarded him as a watch/guard dog. He is a fabulous companion and loves the water as much as I do.

2ztcdid.jpg

Meet Reese. [again]
We just got back from a short canoe trip and he is still wearing his protective vest. [Designed to keep bugs, twigs and forest branches at bay.]

What kind of dog do you have?

My dog is an American Blue Pitbull Terrier. He's so adorable, playful and fun to have around. He's not only a watch dog, but he's a companion and family breed dog. My dog Spike guards and protects my home in case of any intruders trying to invade my home.

Here's a picture of Spike

images.jpg

Last edited:

BMWPOWER

Staff member
A bit sad - we always think of our dogs ready and willing to follow us over the hill.

How old is the dog? Is it worth starting at 101? That's what I had to do.

Though my circumstance is a bit different I consulted the on line pros to get some ideas. As you know they didn't really work. My dog loves the car - it was his behaviour that I had trouble with. So...in came the medication for the long trips.
:(:beaver: sort of a dog look
he is 5 years old

campforums

Founder
Staff member
@BMWPOWER, any luck on training your dog :p

There are some obedience classes you can take your dog to which can be helpful if you don't know where to start.