• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dutch Oven Cooking In A Campfire

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
In the old days or on western movies on TV, there was always someone using a dutch oven to make biscuits or cornbread, stew or chili. A dutch oven makes camping extra fun and provides more types of foods then just the regular flair. If buying a dutch oven for use in camping make sure you get a cast iron one with legs. The legs provide support to allow hot coals to be placed underneath the pot and the lid is also used as a cooking surface inside and a place to stack more hot coals on the top of lid. So now you will learn the art of cooking with a dutch oven.
How To Make Pizza!

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Cowboy Smoked Beef Stew

As you can see many of these are used with Charcoal Briquettes, however the process is the same if you use live coals on the edge of your camp fire or use the tripod over the fire to cook your food.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Deer Roast In Brown Gravy

Made me a bit nervous when he poured the oil in the pot. I think I would add the oil before putting it on the hot coals in middle of campfire. Sure makes me hungry though. What are your thoughts on this subject? Have you cooked using a dutch oven?

killeroy154

Survivalist
I would say that the Dutch oven is the most under-utilized piece of camping cook ware. I haven't used mine but maybe a couple of times in the past several years. Love the videos, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Here is another way to cook with dutch ovens and create a good breakfast meal. Again this method calls for using charcoal, but could easily be adapted to campfire coals. Enjoy!

All of the cooking was not included in this video, however, I wanted to show mainly his set up for cooking in use of hog feeder pans to put the hot coals in the bottom and setting dutch ovens on top of those coals. That could be really handy on a windy cold day when camping. What is your thoughts on this way of cooking?

killeroy154

Survivalist
Hello and welcome crashmonster, would like to see your pictures. Ever since I done an update, several months ago, I have to post pictures differently on my droid phone. I used to pull pics from the gallery selection but now I have to use attachment, go figure.

2sweed sure makes my mouth water with the cooking advice. I'm going camping in a couple of weeks, so maybe I need to break out the old cast iron dutch.

Please stay in touch, it's been a little lately.

Roy

crashmonster

Novice Camper
Hello and welcome crashmonster, would like to see your pictures. Ever since I done an update, several months ago, I have to post pictures differently on my droid phone. I used to pull pics from the gallery selection but now I have to use attachment, go figure.

2sweed sure makes my mouth water with the cooking advice. I'm going camping in a couple of weeks, so maybe I need to break out the old cast iron dutch.

Please stay in touch, it's been a little lately.

Roy
Thank you for the advice. It seems to work that way.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Glad to see everyone getting the pictures on line - great stuff.

I can be a bit thick (as some might know) and it took me a tad to get it into my head that the Dutch was an oven. Oven you say? That means I can bake anything right? So now I don't use briquettes I just hang it right over the coals or fire. I have glass cover so I can look right in and see how things are shaping up. Apple pies, Shepherd pies, roast chicken and pork chops and all that comes in between is easily done to perfection.

I now have a complete cast iron set that includes the oven, pot, fry pan and pancake pan - it's all good stuff. I also have the bake pans and utensils as well.

I've been toying with the idea of using the cast iron set for all my cooking needs at Mew Lake this year and use the standard propane stove as the back up. That means I will use and open fire to do all my cooking. Sounds interesting.

If you don't have a glass lid - check out Value Village or similar store.

When I bake I use a pie pan and make sure I have a trivet underneath the pan to prevent burning.

Attachments

killeroy154

Survivalist
Was that a picture of corn bread? Nothing makes better corn bread then a cast iron skillet. The trick is to preheat the cast iron then pour in the batter. The Dutch oven I have has a cast iron lid that can be turned up-side down and used as a frying pan. I just put the whole thing in the coals after burning the wood. I use a very large pair of pliers to lift it and the lid.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...corn bread it is. You can bake just about anything as you know. I was looking at your pic and thinking to myself I need to invest in one of those fire grills. The one in the picture looks like a Camp Chef Lumberjack over fire grill and I know where to purchase them. When the day is looking a bit better I think I will go shopping for the same.

crashmonster

Novice Camper
I've made Sheppards pie in the Dutch, well, not officially Shepherds pie, I used hamburger instead of lamb. I guess that would be closer to being a cottage pie. It was awesome. Also, more like a bean pot, not a leggy dutch. Ehhhh, here I go, rambling on again......

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I've made Sheppards pie in the Dutch, well, not officially Shepherds pie, I used hamburger instead of lamb. I guess that would be closer to being a cottage pie. It was awesome. Also, more like a bean pot, not a leggy dutch. Ehhhh, here I go, rambling on again......

-----> Go ahead and ramble OR babble as we call it - we could use a lot more. One thing about the true blue camper types is - we can do what we want. There is no need to fall into the conventional terminology. We call call things the way we like. :)

upload_2018-4-16_11-9-20.jpeg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Here's another one <----->

Using the Oven

Another Throw in Meal
1 cup of water
Small cabbage cut up
Medium onion cut up
Sausages cut up
A little bit of pepper/salt
A tad of sugar
A Cup or two of Chicken/vegetable broth
Cook and simmer

It's mighty good and simple to do.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
This Dutch oven type of cooking is interesting because of the stones that were placed on the lid. Perhaps it will add to the heat inside the pot? I have posted in another thread a similar cooking style but it's an improvised oven. Anyway, with the mention of cast iron that gave me the idea how heavy the Dutch oven will be. It is good for family camping in campsites that have parking. But you cannot bring that along to camping trips that needed a hike of a distance because it will be too heavy to carry.