• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dutch Oven Pork Chops...

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
upload_2018-3-16_17-34-27.jpeg

DUTCH OVEN PORK CHOPS AND POTATOES

This recipe came to my attention so I gave it a try. [Getting Ready for the Season of Delights - summer camping that is.]

Prep time is 15 minutes. Cook time 1 hour. Total time is 1 hour and 15 minutes.

This is a throw it in, one oven dish that is delicious and easy to do right at the campsite. Serves 4 or if you half it, the way I did, it serves 2. Okay...one then.

This is what you need to serve 4 ----->
4 Pork Chops.
2 Table spoons of olive oil.
2 Table spoons of butter [okay...margarine if you want].
2 Cups seasoned bread crumbs.
3/4 Cup water that you will divide.
3 Medium potatoes, cubed - I use white potatoes and didn't bother to peel.
1 Large Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup. [Any choice.]
Salt and Pepper to taste.

This is how you do it ----->
Heat the Dutch oven on the campfire.
Add the olive oil.
Season your pork chops with salt and pepper.
When the oil is hot, lightly brown the pork chops (both sides).
Melt the butter/margarine in a separate pan.
In a bowl mix together butter/margarine, bread crumbs and a 1/4 cup of water.
Spoon that mixture over the pork chops and turn to coat.
Place the cubed potatoes on top of your pork chop mixture.
Cover the entire thing with the cream of mushroom soup mixed with the remaining 1/2 cup water.

If you are using coals they go on top and under the Dutch oven.
350 Degrees Fahrenheit for a 12 inch Dutch oven = 20 briquettes meaning 2/3rds of top and the rest on the bottom.

In my case I use a glass top on my Dutch oven (see through) and I cook over the fire.
I also use a cooking tray inside my Dutch oven - so I can take the meal to the table and serve. A lot less mess - Mom would be proud.

Cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour or when done.

IT'S REALLY GREAT

upload_2018-3-16_18-2-25.png
upload_2018-3-16_17-44-31.jpeg + upload_2018-3-16_17-45-38.jpeg +
upload_2018-3-16_17-46-34.jpeg + upload_2018-3-16_17-49-15.jpeg +
upload_2018-3-16_17-50-13.jpeg
+ upload_2018-3-16_17-51-3.jpeg +

upload_2018-3-16_17-55-28.jpeg

Remember you prepackage everything you can before going off to camp so you only bring what you need.

TELL ME HOW YOU MADE OUT or add any suggestions that you might have. :)

Attachments

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I tried this recipe again and I chucked the bread crumbs and just used potatoes and the cream of mushroom soup. Turned out great. Then I tried chicken breast with potato and used two small cans of cream of chicken soup and added just 1/2 cup of milk. Same difference - both are quick delicious meals with little preparation required.

MickiO

Novice Camper
Hi sounds Delish What is the seasoned bread crumbs made with or is that store bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Bread crumbs come in a variety of packages and some are not seasoned - we just do our own thing because we can. OR you can buy those packages of meat crumbs and certainly you can make your own out of crackers. You can use rubs or marinate. Check your bake isle of your favourite store or the spice rack. Actually I found that I enjoyed the chops and chicken without the bread crumbs. Like I say its your choice.

upload_2018-4-2_11-28-24.jpeg upload_2018-4-2_11-35-46.jpeg
upload_2018-4-2_11-36-34.jpeg

upload_2018-4-2_11-39-13.jpeg
...and on it goes. :)

Attachments

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I like the first photo above because it is a symbol of traditional camping. I have noticed the modern campers now who have those gadgets. I'm not talking about the phones and tablets. The gadgets are portable electric fan, emergency lamp, cooler, and some even bring a cot for their comfort inside the tent. Perhaps there is a paradigm shift in the style of camping that I couldn't come to terms with. Gone are the days when campers could endure the weather and the hunger when they run out of food. I miss those camping days of yore.