• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Exploring on the arsenal near the rock quarry.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
Today, my daughter (Indiana Robin, the Explorer) took me on a hike back into the woods and along a steep (at least for me) trail along the edge of the little lake that was hidden back in the trees and rocks. One whole side of the lake, actually more like a pond, but beautiful clear water, was a sheer rock cliff, and the water was running out of the side of the cliff and down the rocks into the water. where the water came out, part of the rocks looked like ice-sickles, except it was actually rock that had crusted over with minerals from the water. Some of the rocks were kind of a yellowish, like maybe they had some sulphur traces in the water.

The side of the lake that we were on, you could see that the shoreline just dropped right off into a black depth, and it would be anyone's guess just how deep it actually was. It is definitely a place where I want to go next spring and take the fishing poles along. Maybe even the little inflatable kayaks, and then we could actually get out into the lake and fish.

Some places the trail was so steep along the side of the lake, it was almost straight up the hillside and straight down to the water on the other. I was using my walking stick, and hanging on to the trees as we went along. (@2sweed, this is where I needed that rope to tie around my waist like we discussed in the other thread) Anyway, it was a nice sunshiny day, and we had a great time.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
Today, we have snow here in Alabama. We have about a half inch, which is nothing when you live in an area that has snow in the winter. However, when we get snow here, no one is prepared for it, and the road department has no waay to deal with any snow at all; so everything simply shuts down. Northerners would laugh to think of schools, and also many work places, being closed for the day due to a half inch of snow.
One other interesting thing that they always do here in the south, is that everyone rushes to the grocery stores and stocks up on bread, milk, and eggs. All of the shelves for these items will be empty in every store.
When I lived in idaho, I don't remember ever seeing that happen, even when we had a blizzard coming in.

MacGyver

Survivalist
One other interesting thing that they always do here in the south, is that everyone rushes to the grocery stores and stocks up on bread, milk, and eggs. All of the shelves for these items will be empty in every store.
When I lived in idaho, I don't remember ever seeing that happen, even when we had a blizzard coming in.
Well they must be smarter in Idaho than they are here in Maryland. We get snow every year and the people herestill rush to the store to buy bread, milk and toilet paper. Last year, I remember seeing a guy line the entire bottom of the shopping cart with 1/2 pints of milk because the gallon, half gallons and quarts were all sold out. In my mind, I was wondering how long he thought he was going to be stuck in the house. Even at it's worst, I think the longest we've ever been truly socked in has been a couple of days - and that was when we got 3 feet of snow in 2 days.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Those are some beautiful photos and I especially like your walking stick. Is that something you just picked up along the way?

I am sure I have asked you this before but I probably forgot but are these trails near to your home? I am fortunate that I live in the city but that there are still a variety of decent hiking trails nearby that go throughout. Obviously not as good as going out into the wilderness but still great for what it is.