• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Eyes swelling since last trip

missyify

Survivalist
I noticed on our last trip that I kept waking up with swollen eyes. Not much in the way of other symptoms, except I had been experiencing vertigo on and off before so I don't think that was related.

My husband unpacked the air mattress in the tent before he noticed it was pretty moldy (he threw it out). We also have a camping pillow that appeared to be fine and was used.

That was about 4 weeks ago.

We got home and the bedroom was really humid since we raised the temp while we were gone. Symptoms got worse... I cleaned the room thinking maybe something was moldy but I couldn't find anything... Unless the ac (window unit) has mold inside.

Started experiencing sinus symptoms and was treated for an infection but none of it got better. My dr tried to say makeup but I don't wear it. It's been over a year since I have. He didn't seem to believe me. He tried to put me on steroids... I wasn't having it, especially since he doesn't even know what's wrong.

Symptoms eased after washing pillows, but haven't gone away.

Does anyone have any insight on something I might be missing, perhaps linked to our trip? My grandma was trying to say I was bit, but I doubt that would cause even swelling around both eyes that varies day to day.

My best guess is mold right now. I've never been allergic, though. Now I have to see the ophthalmologist and a bunch of crap... I have a feeling it's not gonna be that simple.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Sounds like an allergic reaction to something. Could be from the mold, and your body is still fighting it.
I never had any problems with allergies till I was in my early 40,s. I know this past summer has been rough on my allergies.
I wish you well. I realy have no idea.

missyify

Survivalist
Sounds like an allergic reaction to something. Could be from the mold, and your body is still fighting it.
I never had any problems with allergies till I was in my early 40,s. I know this past summer has been rough on my allergies.
I wish you well. I realy have no idea.
Thanks. I needed some outside opinions because everyone thinks I'm crazy to suspect allergies. Dust has been bothering me lately. I was just cleaning out the laundry room today and even with a mask, I was sneezing and sniffling. I only find it odd my children seem unaffected... Especially my sons.

I'm pretty sure the swelling isn't related to the dust, though.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

killeroy154

Survivalist
I don't want to mislead you in any way, or give advice. I never had a problem with allergies until I thought I had a cold that wouldn't go away. My wife suggested it was allergies. I didn't believe it. I went down to the local drug store, and purchased the off brand of allergy stuff, allegra, and after a couple of days the symptoms went away. Symptoms are sometimes different per person I think. I was ok with a little sniffle or sneeze, but when the roof of my mouth and my eyes start itching along with my sinusitis being screwed up, no thanks. I rubbed my eye so bad one day it swelled shut.

I don't think the non-prescription allergy medicines have enough in them to hurt you, if taken as it says. I take the one little pill per day, and most times that's all I need. Sometimes I can go with out it for a couple of weeks usually in the winter. I haven't been to a doctor for it either. Nothing against doctors I have the highest respect for them, but what I spent out of pocket this year for the normal routine tests for a 51 year old, I could have bought some serious camping gear or better yet another canoe.

missyify

Survivalist
I don't want to mislead you in any way, or give advice. I never had a problem with allergies until I thought I had a cold that wouldn't go away. My wife suggested it was allergies. I didn't believe it. I went down to the local drug store, and purchased the off brand of allergy stuff, allegra, and after a couple of days the symptoms went away. Symptoms are sometimes different per person I think. I was ok with a little sniffle or sneeze, but when the roof of my mouth and my eyes start itching along with my sinusitis being screwed up, no thanks. I rubbed my eye so bad one day it swelled shut.

I don't think the non-prescription allergy medicines have enough in them to hurt you, if taken as it says. I take the one little pill per day, and most times that's all I need. Sometimes I can go with out it for a couple of weeks usually in the winter. I haven't been to a doctor for it either. Nothing against doctors I have the highest respect for them, but what I spent out of pocket this year for the normal routine tests for a 51 year old, I could have bought some serious camping gear or better yet another canoe.
I think I'm going to try claritin. It was in my prescriptions, but the pharmacy said uhh that's OTC.

I've kind of lost some faith in doctors over the way my boys were treated. Especially my littlest with the topical steroids and the drs leaving out important details like how to avoid withdrawal from overuse. And I've already been on one course of unnecessary antibiotics because they didn't do a simple blood test to see if I did have an infection...

However the good ones are definitely worth it. Finally found a good pediatrician and I'm going to transfer my younger son over to my older son's allergist.

killeroy154

Survivalist
The Claritan has citrozenhydrocloride, and the allegra has lortadine. The Claritan doesn't work for me, but everyone is different. I would get small pack and try it. If one doesn't work then try the other brand. If after 4 days you don't get relief, then maybe time to seek out ole doc. I think most doctors mean well and do their best, but they are under a lot of rules from insurance companies, and the stress of trying to properly diagnosis and treat the delicate and complicated human body. Also yes their are some that are quacks.

I live in the Tennessee valley nestled in the Appalachian mountains. I have heard it said that this area is one of the top rated areas for allergies and asthma. The valley lays mostly south west to north east, with the small end running just into Virginia. It works like a funnel. The natural air currents flow from the south west in the summer pushing pollens and pollution into the valley. In the winter time the natural wind current pushes south toward the Midwest then sweeps into the valley.

Allergies suck.

missyify

Survivalist
The Claritan has citrozenhydrocloride, and the allegra has lortadine. The Claritan doesn't work for me, but everyone is different. I would get small pack and try it. If one doesn't work then try the other brand. If after 4 days you don't get relief, then maybe time to seek out ole doc. I think most doctors mean well and do their best, but they are under a lot of rules from insurance companies, and the stress of trying to properly diagnosis and treat the delicate and complicated human body. Also yes their are some that are quacks.

I live in the Tennessee valley nestled in the Appalachian mountains. I have heard it said that this area is one of the top rated areas for allergies and asthma. The valley lays mostly south west to north east, with the small end running just into Virginia. It works like a funnel. The natural air currents flow from the south west in the summer pushing pollens and pollution into the valley. In the winter time the natural wind current pushes south toward the Midwest then sweeps into the valley.

Allergies suck.
I tried it and it seemed to help... We'll see how it goes over a few days. With my son I've noticed a kind of desensitization with antihistamines where they stop working after continued use for a period of time. Hopefully I get my issues figured out because, if it is an allergy, it's definitely of the indoor variety.

I have my follow up on the 8th as well as my ophthalmologist appointment... I doubt the ophthalmologist will find much, but I'll still go ahead with it just in case.

We've had a time with drs lately. I dunno why... Like I said, really like our kids new pediatrician and my older son's allergist. Our new dr is ok. I just can't stand the condescending types. My younger son's allergist is like that. For example fussing at her nurse about another patient who couldn't afford Zyrtec in front of me. Then talking down to me like I haven't the slightest idea about my son's condition. Anyway, I don't want to go down that road tonight lol. Just gonna switch him over and forget about it since the other allergist is amazing.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...interesting conversation. I have two allergies - nicotine and penicillin. The penicillin is easily managed but the nicotine is more difficult. I have had to leave public places because I started to have breathing problems. This is from a guy who use to smoke - go figure.

In my many seminars on camping I attended I also took in a session on "Things to keep in mind..." I had a space to fill so I took "Things to keep in mind...when out in the wilderness". It covered the dangerous of mouse droppings and droppings of animals. It also covered mould, mildew, vapour, spores, water issues; spider and flea bites, lime disease and everything in between. I learned that new diseases are being discovered just about every month and they are given number I.D.'s until they become more prevalent.

Once my dog started to get bald on his leg - yep...he picked up a parasite. But-a-las, a mere 50 bucks took care it it. :(

It sort of makes one nervous planning an ordinary camp trip.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFo8NHQT3rufZlKXlXi4ClexS9ioBj_a7ovGv2OegdsK4sQKaupQ.jpg
:)

ashley0323

Novice Camper
It could of been some kind of allergy. Also, consider how the weather was, and see if it could be pollen related. Being outside in warmer conditions will do this sometimes if someone has a pollen allergy, my kids do anyways.

missyify

Survivalist
Well it still hasn't gone away, it just fluctuates. Ophthalmologist was worried about my retina since I'm seeing a black spot but it looked fine. I have to follow up next week.

Antihistamines help a little but they're giving me headaches to the point I function better without. I'm trying to tweak the timing on doses to see if impact of the side effects can be minimized.

Ophthalmologist prescribed an antibiotic and steroid eye drop... I wasn't too happy about that but I'll give it a shot for a few days and see if it even helps.

Blood work came back clean except for my A1C which is another story lol.