• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Free Camping Sites in Canadian Rockies or on Coastal Route

cort

I plan to come up from the States and go through Canada - the Northern Rockies probably. In the U.S. I can usually find dispersed camping sites in National Forest or BLM land - no fees charged.

Is there anything like that in Canada?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I plan to come up from the States and go through Canada - the Northern Rockies probably. In the U.S. I can usually find dispersed camping sites in National Forest or BLM land - no fees charged.

Is there anything like that in Canada?

That's a tricky question @cort. We have tonnes of Crown Land everywhere and you can probably look up Provincial Crown Land. For example - Camping on Ontario Crown Land to get more information. The fees are little [because you are not a citizen] and you still have to comply with the Laws of the Land.

But you know something? With the dollar rate US bucks go a lot further here - I'd be looking at a National or Provincial Park. Everything is on line and you can let your fingers do the walkin to get the information that you need.

cort

I will check it out - do you guys have park passes up there by the way - month long - six month long? - something like that?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I will check it out - do you guys have park passes up there by the way - month long - six month long? - something like that?
:)

You will find much the same in Canada as the United States - though I'm not sure how Quebec works.
I'll check out some sites for you and send you the information in a few days.

:bear: If you are a hunter and planning to bring guns into this country you need to do exactly what our laws specify. We are a lot more strict than the US and our law is a lot different.

cort

Thanks - no worries about guns....or hunting...I "hunt" plants not animals. :)

Thanks for letting me know, though.

Appreciate the help :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well, a lot of the smaller, more remote, or less popular areas which are still great camping sites do not have visitor's centres like the main ones do. So I don't think anyone would track you down if you didn't pay... With that being said, if you are going through British Columbia a good resource would the BC parks web page: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/fees/

For the popular camp sites you will generally find that there is a fire pit prepared and an area where branches have been cleared for a tent and maybe even some logs for seating. This is just from so many people using the common area. If you go off into the crown land like @Northern Dancer suggested then you might have to hunt a bit more to find a nice spot and it will be more remote but also you won't need to pay any fees.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Well, a lot of the smaller, more remote, or less popular areas which are still great camping sites do not have visitor's centres like the main ones do. So I don't think anyone would track you down if you didn't pay... With that being said, if you are going through British Columbia a good resource would the BC parks web page: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/fees/

For the popular camp sites you will generally find that there is a fire pit prepared and an area where branches have been cleared for a tent and maybe even some logs for seating. This is just from so many people using the common area. If you go off into the crown land like @Northern Dancer suggested then you might have to hunt a bit more to find a nice spot and it will be more remote but also you won't need to pay any fees.
Actually...non citizens will have to pay a fee - but certainly not very much. You have to be over 18 as well.

Faust

Explorer
As well, check and adhere to any fire bans in the area's you plan to camp in.

BC is like a tinder box in the summer..