• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Happy camper

to7update

Novice Camper
Hi guys, really glad to be a part of this community as I've camped a lot back in the days and I loved it! I am looking forward to learn about camping in different parts of the world and to share my own stories, I do have a few good ones. :) I am starting to introduce camping to my kids and how they love it, don't all kids love camping?

killeroy154

Survivalist
Hello to7update, and welcome. I think most kids love camping as long as they have no bad experiences. I wish I would have taken my daughters more when they were younger. We used to go every summer when I was growing up. Mom and Dad loved it. I guess when you get older and are stuggling to make ends meet while starting a family and your life, things get pushed aside because of other priorities.

I love being outside, and enjoy hearing other people's stories. Love to hear more of your ventures.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I think your kids will have a great time, the only thing I can think of is if your kids are far apart in age then they might feel bored on a camping trip in which case they can invite some friends along. Camping is a great experience for everyone, I wish my family had been more into it growing up.

to7update

Novice Camper
Thanks for the welcome. :)

My kids are still small, just 7 and 9, so they don't get bored, quite the opposite, they feel all the excitement of sleeping in a tent, making a fire and exploring the wild. My younger kid is a little scared of the dark at this time, so he's not the biggest explorer at night haha, but I am guessing this fear will go away with time.

I suppose this interest of them in camping will last until they are 12-13 years old, after that they will have other interests...

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...not necessarily - it's hard to give up the canoeing experience if you have learned well as a youth. It becomes a part of your make up. :) Not only is it character building - it can be a way of life like athletics and academics etc.

to7update

Novice Camper
You have a good point there, it all depends on the activities we propose to them. If we are talking about canoeing, kayaks or other activities more "radical", that just might engage them to continue outdoors activities, and that is far better than many other activities out there.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
You have a good point there, it all depends on the activities we propose to them. If we are talking about canoeing, kayaks or other activities more "radical", that just might engage them to continue outdoors activities, and that is far better than many other activities out there.[/QUOT
--------------------------------- > :)
...what I find most in my experience is when parents talk about camping and children/youth they really mean that the are camping and simply brought the children/youth along. No...No...teach them to make campfires on their own, do basic cooking with the idea they will get better, use equipment properly, let them take canoe classes and such and let them be an integral part of the scene. It's not encouragement - IT'S DOING AND LEARNING.

When it comes to adults it's all about adults - there really isn't any intention of getting children/youth truly involved.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I took my youngest daughter and her friend camping when they were teenagers. Good lord! Boys boys boys.

What's the matter with being being afraid of the dark?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
..."Who's afraid of the Dark?" It's all in the conditioning that starts from a very early age. It is fostered by the fears taught by others and they stay with us - especially when one finds themselves alone. Really...what are you afraid of ---> and why?

upload_2016-12-28_14-54-49.jpeg

to7update

Novice Camper
Yeah, putting them in touch with nature, teach them to do the fire, to cook there, to prepare stuff with woods, survivalist stuff, or just radical sports haha. Either cases, bringing them along and not engaging them in activities is just a bad idea.