• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Hello!

3CATTS

Novice Camper
I am really happy to have come across this forum. I have only been lurking for about a day and decided to join up. My family and I have been camping for many years, both tent and car camping. We are now moving on to backpacking, starting with short trips in Michigan.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I am really happy to have come across this forum. I have only been lurking for about a day and decided to join up. My family and I have been camping for many years, both tent and car camping. We are now moving on to backpacking, starting with short trips in Michigan.
===================== > :)
...you are faster than I am. Welcome again. I've had limited camping experience with backpacking because when I can I'm canoe camping. Yep...the summer is just about planned starting on May 22nd actually.

3CATTS

Novice Camper
We have two trips in the planning stage and I have been blocking out weekends on the calendar for short trips and hikes. So far I am the only one with appropriate gear for backpacking so I'll probably do some solo trips while the girls get their gear together.

Two years ago, we bought a big old aluminum canoe off of craigslist. It had been used for many years by a family that took it through many boundary water trips and throughout Michigan. I hope to one day take it out to honor it's legacy. The problem is that paddling tends to start fights, so it seems like short river trips are better for now. ;)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
We have two trips in the planning stage and I have been blocking out weekends on the calendar for short trips and hikes. So far I am the only one with appropriate gear for backpacking so I'll probably do some solo trips while the girls get their gear together.

Two years ago, we bought a big old aluminum canoe off of craigslist. It had been used for many years by a family that took it through many boundary water trips and throughout Michigan. I hope to one day take it out to honor it's legacy. The problem is that paddling tends to start fights, so it seems like short river trips are better for now. ;)
================== >
An aluminum canoe? The first thought that comes to mind is a Grumman? I have an ultra light kevlar sixteen foot Souris River Prospector that does me just fine. If any of my colleagues want to be in the stern that's okay with me.

:bear: Baden Bear here, "Don't let him fool ya - his canoe, his position."

3CATTS

Novice Camper
================== >
An aluminum canoe? The first thought that comes to mind is a Grumman? I have an ultra light kevlar sixteen foot Souris River Prospector that does me just fine. If any of my colleagues want to be in the stern that's okay with me.

:bear: Baden Bear here, "Don't let him fool ya - his canoe, his position."
Close. Its a Michicraft. I'm a bigger guy and we all fit in it with enough weight left over for fishing gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

killeroy154

Survivalist
Hello and welcome 3CATTS, I grew up around Gaylord MI right below the UP and ended up in Tn. It's pretty country up there and I miss the natural lakes. The aluminum canoes will last a life time. I have a couple of canoes and enjoy both of them. In fact I am wanting another one. My wife goes out with me on day paddles when it's nice outside. She has excellent balance, but when she tries to pull the front of the canoe sideways with her paddle is a killer. I keep wanting to switch ends and I sit in the bow for awhile cause it may be good for both of us.

Anyhow glad to have ya and look forward to hearing your exploits.

3CATTS

Novice Camper
Hello and welcome 3CATTS, I grew up around Gaylord MI right below the UP and ended up in Tn. It's pretty country up there and I miss the natural lakes. The aluminum canoes will last a life time. I have a couple of canoes and enjoy both of them. In fact I am wanting another one. My wife goes out with me on day paddles when it's nice outside. She has excellent balance, but when she tries to pull the front of the canoe sideways with her paddle is a killer. I keep wanting to switch ends and I sit in the bow for awhile cause it may be good for both of us.

Anyhow glad to have ya and look forward to hearing your exploits.
Ha, I hear you on the canoe. We were just up to Boyne this last weekend to snowboard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk