• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Jerky recipes?

Onatah

Novice Camper
Anyone have some good jerky recipes that are tried and true?
I don't like it overly dry. I like it with some 'chew' to it and nice smoky flavor.
I want to try making some in the very near future. I raise meat rabbits and it's a great thing to use the belly flap for, I'm told. It's also deer season and we are hunters.

Would be nice to save that $20/lb. price tag our local jerky place charges and make up a bunch of my own for taking to horse camp so I have something of protein value in my saddle bags.

I don't have a smoker.

DeepFryer

Novice Camper
Hello,

I would recommend making it in your oven, so you would be dehydrating the meat.

a recipe I use is as follows:
  • 1/4-1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar (more sugar if you like it sweet)
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed or garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • black pepper to taste
  • chili flakes to taste
As for the smoke you can add liquid smoke but I would recommend that you would not do that.

Put tooth picks between each piece of meat and have them hang from your oven rack with a cookie sheet under neath to catch any drippings, set your oven to 150-175 and it takes about 8-10 hours depending on the thickness of the meat.

good luck,

-deep fryer

Onatah

Novice Camper
Thank you so much for that recipe @DeepFryer. I hope to be able to try this jerky recipe sometime. Venison jerky and rabbit jerky on the way! I'll be sure to post photos.

The toothpick trick is great advice! I tried a long time ago to make jerky. It was an epic fail and one of the reasons was because the jerky stuck to my cookie sheets. I didn't want to grease up the sheets because greasy jerky just isn't right. Literally smacked my forehead when I read that part of your recipe. Thanks!

ashley0323

Novice Camper
I have also been wondering this, but since I do not own a smoker or dehydrator it makes it difficult to try recipes. Did you end up trying that recipe? How did it turn out?