• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Looking for Tent advice.

WilB

Novice Camper
Been lurking here a while. Im looking for tent advice. I wondered about those tents that are suspended via ratchet straps from trees? Are they durable?

What about traditionsl tents? something to keep dry in if it rains?

Should a winter camping tent be a dedicated unit? I want to try that also.

I prefer something that is compact as many will be atv camping trips.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...First of all - WELCOME again!

...let me see - not that I want to boast or anything but I have nine tents in my inventory including tents I use for winter camping. I am a four season camper.

So where do we start? :)

This is my general guide...

What I'm I using it for?
How often will I use it?
Under what circumstance?
How much I'm I prepared to pay?

You have to think about your age, physical condition and comfort level. If you are stationary you can do just about anything. If you are canoeing or ATV camping then you might have to looking into a specific species err...I mean tent. Do you plan to use the tent or share with a buddy? Size then becomes important.

The first tent you are talking about is it this one?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa8lzgMwCLbnxv9hrYlEzRZpVfH-ybFC9mDJ957S8KIKh5lpmUKg.jpg
This the Tentsile tent.

"Tentsile Tree Tents were conceived as tree houses that you can take anywhere. Our Tree Tents offer an incredible new way for you and your friends to experience a whole new level of Freedom. Separated from wet, lumpy, bumpy, uneven ground and with increased protection from snakes, bugs and other creepies, our range offers the opportunity to camp in places no one has ever camped before." Check them out online THEN CHECK the CONSUMER REPORTS.

I'll stop here - ask me questions. I'm happy to continue the discussion. :)

killeroy154

Survivalist
Hello WilB, and welcome. I have yet to hear from anyone that has used one of those, flying saucer tents. Like Dancer says it's all about what type of tent camping you want to do. For example, I go where the fishing is and I seldom travel more than a couple hundred miles from my home here in east Tennessee. I may go for one night or maybe 4, and i will go in winter or summer, but spring and fall are my favorite times. weather in this area is pretty mild, so the common inexpensive discount store tents do me fine. If I were to go backpacking or to extreme cold areas, then I would need better and more specialized equipment and training. This site has some very knowledgeable people with great advice.

I love camping because it is not competitive. Roy

katskamper

Novice Camper
i just spent 4 hours looking at tents.
gee, i only have 4, 2 i bought, 2 hand-me-downs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...a good point killeroy154 a tent doesn't have to be expensive. Most of my tents are at the higher end of the scale because of my activity. But not all...:), I wouldn't want to discourage any camper.

...and then there is hammock camping - some are mighty fine products - it all depends on what you hanker for.

katskamper

Novice Camper
seriously, scroll thru ebay. i looked at over 700 tents! most american tents are made of light weight nylon.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...true @katskamper there are a lot of tents out there - some good ones and some bad ones - it all comes down to preference.

IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0475.jpg

...but for me and I look for durability, style, longevity, space and comfort. :)
:bear: Baden Bear here... "If Northern Dancer held on to every tent he ever had he would be able to open a tent store par excellence!" "This guy has had just about every type imaginable." "From canvas to whatever and just about every size and shape."

katskamper

Novice Camper
willB
i just spent 4 hours looking at tents. here is my shopping advice based on 25 years experience with commercial nylon tents.

sleeve top roofs with criss-cross fiberglass poles are sturdier than clip top roofs. clip-tops sag, and if one clip/loop rips out, it really sags& might collapse. tension is created by rainfly.
square shape takes the wind better than long rectangular.
tarp floors are more durable than nylon floors, which require an under tarp.
the straighter the wall, the drier you stay in a rainstorm.
tip out storm windows are great, but NONE of the current tents -under $500-have them.
whatever you buy, IMMEDIATELY order spare parts. 2 leg poles minimum.
if you are backpacking- go small.
if you are relax camping- get one you can stand up in. your back- knees will thank you!

my big old tent is 2 rooms 15x15 ft. clip roof that sags, tarp floors. good for winter camping- no windows along long side of room
newer tent was made by jeep 10 yrs ago, discontinued. 12x15
loop roof, nylon floor, tip out windows & floor vents.
it was originally a 2 room tent, but i cut the inner wall out to make one big room.
after looking at 500 tents, i decided to buy fixer upper parts & keep the jeep tent.

katskamper

Novice Camper
and if you rally want to go big or stay home, get a Shelter Logic 10x20 party tent. i use it for group camping or when i take my chuck wagon/ kitchen trailer.
actually i have 2 of these, & they are solid frames. worth the money. with a small heater they can do cold weather.
(northern tools)

142940cdf4dcdd880746edb357e1c670.jpg