• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Moose Galore

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Moose Galore

Journal Summary Tuesday May 23rd to Monday June 12th

IMG_1143.jpg

Beaver Dam on Whisky Rapids River

I waited uncomplainingly - fourteen long-lasting days before the temperature ascended the *20 degree mark giving me a taste of summer heat. Three evenings the thermometer plummeted to *3 degrees. The three season Alaknak, my superior sleeping bag, a tent heater, hot water bottle, fall coat, skier’s toque, gloves and faithful rain gear greatly contributed to my physical well-being and helped sustain my morale. It rained twelve days, two being rigorous thunderstorms that could have easily turned my tent into a floating barge. And then there were the black flies.

IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg

When I surveyed my site I noted the terrain and made provision for a major rain storm.

The water fail short of my kitchen by 1/2 foot and five feet from the front of my tent.
Planned that well I must say.

I read more books in two weeks than I have in two years; History, Communications, Religion, Social Work and general interest. The CBC kept me informed about the latest tweet from President Trump and a funky little volunteer run radio station 88.7 Hunter’s Bay introduced me to all kinds of intriguing music and interesting dialogue. CD’s and comedy DVD’s entertained me during the storms.

upload_2017-6-12_19-27-24.png
upload_2017-6-12_19-28-57.jpeg

I made much of the good days; taking pictures of moose, observing a bear (albeit for less than a moment), enjoying crackling camp fires, cooking meals, and following a daily routine of taking care of self. I hit the trails and took in the sights when I could. I made friends with a reluctant chipmunk who started our relationship with considerable trepidation. By the end of my stay he would scurry up my pant leg and sit comfortably in my lap to munch on a peanut from a shell. I relished the mid and high 20’s that enabled me to slip into shorts and T.

IMG_1157.jpg

There were plenty of moose about.
These two just walked through my camp site and onto the dirt road.

I took contentment in being alone and used time to meditate, plan, think and set goals for the immediate future. There were periods of extended silence when only moderate breezes filtered by the trees could be heard. There were choirs of birds chanting their best and one evening a Great Horned Owl announced his presence by his distinguishable hoot. Chirping frogs from a distant bog croaked in unison all night and would occasionally stop instantly and after a moment of silence begin again.

IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1146.jpg

Spring Flowers

Indeed I derived satisfaction watching the moon mature to completeness; I toasted my Camping Babble Colleagues and drank my Monasterio de las Vinas Spanish wine.
It was 27 degrees C with clear skies when I left Algonquin. This trip had a great variety of circumstances that I haven’t experience in some time. It was an serious and great start to the camping season.

*03 C = 37 F, *20 C = 70 F *27 C = 80.6 F

IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg

Incredibly quiet and truly majestic

IMG_1090.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg

I had good meals and managed to do some baking.

IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1114.jpg

Bed sitting room...err I mean tent and a happy trail.

IMG_1113.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
IMG_1147.jpg

I put my "Happy Flag" out when the temperature finally hit 70

IMG_1086.jpg

I finally saw the Canisbay Bear

IMG_1084.jpg

It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to returning to Tea Lake
and all the other places that I have booked this year.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Welcome Home Northern Dancer!

What a fantastic group of pictures! Journal summary read like a really good book. Oh, we're to start?

Whiskey Rapids River... I'd sell my mother to be at that place, so beautiful! Rain, it's part of the deal, but sometimes you have to wonder how many hands you have to play before a new dealer makes an appearance.

You were hoping for moose and it looks like you got your wish and then some. They are so much fun to watch slumber along. Hilarious to watch run, nice score on the photos you took. Nice photos as well.

Your home set up is nearly 'motelish' (not a word) in nature. Nice job in keeping it clean with all that rain. Very nice and cozy arrangement as well. I sure like the table you built, looks nice and appears to be very functional. I also like that spread on your bed, that looks very nice!

Excuse my ignorance, but is that your camp flag (on the left of the picture?) You probably won't care for this statement, the neatest smiley I've ever seen was the one with a bullet hole in its forehead and blood trickling down...maybe my sense of humor is a bubble or two off the median.

Temps sound cool to hot. Was the humidity high? I know it can make cool feel cold and warm feel hot. Maybe the humidity blew out with the rain?

Congratulations on all the reading you got done. May not have been the main purpose for being out there, but nice non-the-less. I've never watched a movie from start to end when I've been camping, but I think that has more to do with watching "reruns" instead of something I've not seen before.

I look forward to hearing more of your story as time progresses. Initial impression is you had a very nice time, I'm glad for that!

Welcome home.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Thank you Bibsoutdoors, good to hear you voice - err...you know what I mean.

The trip was really different - the weather was really peculiar. From a Fall Coat to Summer Shorts in a manner of a few days. But I had a great time.

I saw eight moose in total; four of them actually walk through a portion of my camp site - I didn't even have to look for them.

Yep - that's the flag a fly. It goes up first and comes down last.

How are you doing these days?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I don't mean to put everyone on this forum through my grief again, but for you I'll share, I'll try my best to make this the last time fella's!
20161004_181817.jpg

Snoop passed away Memorial Day evening. To tell you the truth...I've just been in a funky, crappy mood since. I cant believe how empty my days are now and how little motivation I feel to do anything. But I've promised myself to pull my head out and get back to normal. Not what you expected when you asked I know, sorry to be such a wet blanket.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...I can appreciate your circumstance. I tried three dogs after Reese died and it just didn't work out. He was on every trip and hike that I was on and was my constant companion.

IMG_0105.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Surprisingly I didn't fully appreciate the grieving cycle - for me. I thought I could pick up another dog and move forward - not so. These creatures who move into our hearts are more than that. Sometimes there are closer to us that our closer friends.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
When you get bored and after you get done answering 50,000 questions, tell me about your Goal Zero...basically everything. Size of your unit, charge times, how long it lasted in general before the next charging session, what drew the most powerful from it...everything! Giggle!

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
When you get bored and after you get done answering 50,000 questions, tell me about your Goal Zero...basically everything. Size of your unit, charge times, how long it lasted in general before the next charging session, what drew the most powerful from it...everything! Giggle!
-----> This is the one that I'm currently using for my needs. Though note - this type of battery is no longer made by the company. I use this system principally for lighting and watching DVD's. Though it could be used for other applications I limit myself to the two mentioned. Charging has never been a problem. It does very well with direct sunshine and you could plug it into you car battery too. I would go to the Goal Zero site to explore the various options and applications. Each of the devices will be able to do accomplish certain things.

Never buy until you are satisfied and never buy until it is on sale. :)
1319321_915_main.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
-----> This is the one that I'm currently using for my needs. Though note - this type of battery is no longer made by the company. I use this system principally for lighting and watching DVD's. Though it could be used for other applications I limit myself to the two mentioned. Charging has never been a problem. It does very well with direct sunshine and you could plug it into you car battery too. I would go to the Goal Zero site to explore the various options and applications. Each of the devices will be able to do accomplish certain things.

Never buy until you are satisfied and never buy until it is on sale. :)
1319321_915_main.jpg
Your solar panel is bigger than the two I have I believe. Mine are mostly set up for backpacking.
20161020_113354.jpg
20161020_113315.jpg
20161020_113354.jpg
20161020_113315.jpg
20161020_113425.jpg

We do use it to run my wife's CPAP machine also, so it's important we het it recharged when necessary.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Hey Dancers back! Welcome back and glad you had a good time despite all the rain. Great pictures to. Tea lake, we'll I guess I missed that one. Bibsoutdoors, George_Mainwarin, and I were playing a where's Waldo game about you, I guessed Canisbay lake. Oh well. Glad your back.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Hey Dancers back! Welcome back and glad you had a good time despite all the rain. Great pictures to. Tea lake, we'll I guess I missed that one. Bibsoutdoors, George_Mainwarin, and I were playing a where's Waldo game about you, I guessed Canisbay lake. Oh well. Glad your back.
You still win Killeroy! Ha ha!

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
ND,
That new Yeti 400 Lithium looks to be a really nice outfit, I've been eyeing that since it came out. The price tag of $700.00(?) has me sitting back on my heels. These things seldom go on sale here and when they do it seems it's more of a discontinued clearance sale. The Yeti 400 nickel metal hydride it's replacing is on sale now and still for more than I care to pay for it. How come you guys get all the good sales?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
-----> You guessed right. The next time I'm in Algonquin will be a Tea Lake - a little bit more "widernessy".

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
ND,
That new Yeti 400 Lithium looks to be a really nice outfit, I've been eyeing that since it came out. The price tag of $700.00(?) has me sitting back on my heels. These things seldom go on sale here and when they do it seems it's more of a discontinued clearance sale. The Yeti 400 nickel metal hydride it's replacing is on sale now and still for more than I care to pay for it. How come you guys get all the good sales?
-----> With my battery slowly dying I've been looking at these too. I'll probably buy it on a whim some afternoon when I get one of those "buy camping equipment" attacks that I sometimes get. :) THOUGH, honestly speaking -as this is a big ticket item I would wait for the sales and certainly compare prices.

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
I’m speechless with the revelation of the moose. They are big animals and I know they are wild. It’s fortunate that you were able to capture them with your camera. When I was younger, we went to a campsite by the water dam where there were plenty of wild monkeys hopping from tree to tree.They make a lot of noises so you cannot miss them. Unfortunately, there was no digital technology yet. I could captured them just like what you did with those moose. And having wild animals in the campsite means it is a good campsite that is nature-friendly.