• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

MRE

AurelioLeo

Who takes MREs along with them on their camping trips? MRE stands for Meal, Ready to eat and was a field ration developed for the U.S. military. If you do bring them along with you on your camping trips what are your favorite ones?

R. Zimm

I have used them as emergency food but I do not like them much for a couple of reasons. One is that I need gluten free food and I have never seen an MRE that was gluten free. Second is the high salt content.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
R. Zimm said:
I have used them as emergency food but I do not like them much for a couple of reasons. One is that I need gluten free food and I have never seen an MRE that was gluten free. Second is the high salt content.
Does MRE mean some specific kind of food? Why can't you just make your own, made up of foods that aren't high in salt and gluten? Maybe put in some protein bars, dried fruits, juice boxes, etc.

AurelioLeo

In 2004, D'Andrea Brothers LLC licensed "HOOAH!" for commercial sales, and the company started marketing the bar to the public in 2004.The energy bar is now named "Soldier Fuel" instead of HOOAH!, and provides 270 to 280 calories, 10 grams of protein, 8 or 9 grams of fat and 40 grams to 42 grams of carbohydrates. Now that's an energy bar you want to keep in your pack while hiking or camping out in the bush.