• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Ok.... Who's Hibernating?

killeroy154

Survivalist
It's supposed to be in the low 20s and maybe teens tonight. Clear sky and great view of the stars. I asked around here at work if any one wanted to do a one night camping river trip, and they looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head. Of course it is a bit cold
45efacf16e05a2ba9f39f797e272023d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...in our neck of the woods the temperature will fall to - 18 C in the wee hours of the morning. That's 0.4 American. Tomorrow it drops to a whopping -9.4 American. That's even cold for this part of the country. Let me see now - oh ya, about my winter camping plans. The good thing is we have snow on the ground. Yep, that sure sounds like winter camping.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Ooh boy that's cold. Worst I remember was winter of 77. We were out of school for a solid month. It wasn't really the snow that kept us out, it was the ice on the roads. We get more problems with ice then snow here. Snow has enough time to melt a little and then the temperature drops suddenly, and then it freezes. I've seen it start raining then start freezing on everything 15 minutes later. When my parents moved back to Michigan, after us kids grew up and moved out, Dad loved the snowy winters. He retired and had a part time job at a lumber store. Mom would worry about him sometimes cause he would drive the back roads home from work to check out trout streams and such. These back roads they didn't plow in the winter. and he sure didn't like cell phones. I miss the snowy winters that I remember.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...it's magical in our neck of the woods today. The snow is gently falling and the trees are all white. I remember a few years ago when I was out and we had a snow fall followed by a mist that made everything white. When the sun came out everything glistened.

upload_2017-12-23_12-1-54.jpeg
What the back of my camp looked like at Everton in 2016

upload_2017-12-23_12-5-27.jpeg
What it looked like camping down by the Speed River

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
It has been around -9 here for a week. i got new boots to keep my feet warm and new gloves for when I have to shovel snow up I am still freezing. What will I do when the temps drop lower.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGnlEVSgiCGFfzEA42snB0vQPdt1XL7DuREOIjlpHEbPte46dm.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I was listening in to Canoe FM Haliburton - the place that I canoe in the summer. They are experiencing - 32 C. [- 25.6 American] It reminded me of my home town Thunder Bay. Those temperatures would be normal around this time of year through to the third week in February. :dead:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Wondering since your temps drop more than us in Pa, how do you keep your pipes from freezing and car batteries from going dead? Handy tips are welcome here! lol

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
The temperatures have been low of recent date, more than usual. We do have our problems. One street over a water main broke and the crews were on the scene to manage the situation. Special attention is given to citizens when a COLD WEATHER ALERT is issued. These means we pay attention to our Street People, schools and organizations are cognizant of their clientele and by-and-large we dress up warmer and take the advice about keeping our vehicles prepared. There are other jurisdictions in the country that have it a lot worse but seem to survive. Apparently it is 44F in Alaska at the moment - I guess they sent us the real cold stuff.

upload_2018-1-2_19-38-29.jpeg
upload_2018-1-2_19-38-49.jpeg

killeroy154

Survivalist
I could handle 44°F. It hasn't gotten above low 30s but a couple of times in over 2 weeks now. 3 degrees right now, and no snow! That sucks.

We drove to one of the historical homes in our town and looked at the old Mill dam and creek. We remembered standing on this dam about 34 years ago about this time when it was froze up then.
4a5701312d328546ecb8d791981c4a7e.jpg
7331062e8005c1424361751fd613ea99.jpg

killeroy154

Survivalist
Yep, supposed to warm enough tomorrow to rain. Instead of some nice fluffy snow we get freezing rain. In these mountains with crooked roads it gets really dangerous and nasty when it does that.
216662188b5d023bc69846af61e8a9b3.jpg