• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Praying for rain

Hobbit

Novice Camper
I don't want it to rain while pitching my tent or when I'm preparing a BBQ. But when we've turned in for the night, after a day of getting dirty and hot, I just love it when I can hear a gentle haze of rain against the tent.
Even better when the weathers right so when you wake up everything has dried out.

Does anyone else love listening to the rain on the tent canvas?

I think I'm going to ave to find a long Youtube video of rain tonight to sleep to

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...that's a tricky question. I don't usually have to pray for rain - it just comes naturally. Admittedly - there is something romantic about the patter of rain drops pounding on the tent - when you are warm, cozy and dry. I don't use canvas but do use a new super material that allows me to do the same with all the assurances that I will remain dry. :)

:thumbsup: QUESTION ? - I hear a lot about stealth camping or wild camping. I always thought that odd because in this neck of the woods there is no necessity to do that. So...I'm missing something in my understanding.

Hobbit

Novice Camper

:thumbsup: QUESTION ? - I hear a lot about stealth camping or wild camping. I always thought that odd because in this neck of the woods there is no necessity to do that. So...I'm missing something in my understanding.
Stealth camping doesn't ring a bell with me.
Is this something to do with hiding or camouflaging your tent?

Sorry I'm sounding stupid, but is wild camping where you don't use a camp site?

If wild camping is not using a camp site, then I see the attraction as you have the freedom to pick the view you get to wake up to :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Not really, I don't like stepping in mud when I wake up and get out of my tent in the morning. Perfect weather for me is clear blue skies the whole day through.

killeroy154

Survivalist
I grew up in an old house in the sticks, and it had a tin roof and very little insulation. I loved it when it rained. I would sleep like a baby. Dad redid the roof after he was up there fixing leaks, and fell through which scared mom when his feet came through the kitchen ceiling. A 2 by 4 rafter caught him, not realy in a good spot, I never heard so many cuss words. Anyhow he put asphalt roof on and it was never the same after that.

Stealth camping, hmm yes that is what my nephew and I are probably going to have to do next month. We have been wanting to do this fishing trip down a local river, but there is no where to spend the night. All land adjoining the river is private property, farm land with lots of woods. The river is navigational waters, but the laws about land adjoining is very sketchy to say the least. About halfway point is a couple of miles of adjoining land that sort of belongs to us tax payers, government property. They started to build a nuclear plant on it in the 80s, and stopped after millions of dollars were spent on it.? It is a secluded area and I don't think it will be an issue. I would rather pay some farmer to let me camp in his field or woods.

Oh well, you will know I got in trouble if you start seeing posts asking for donations to help with my legal fees, and costs of getting out of federal prison.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hobbit

Novice Camper
I never realised is was so legally confusing with camping in the UK: v-g Wild Camping - Legal Issues

I just always made sure I was not blocking public rights of way, not on private land, out of site (but that was more for my benefit), left an area as I found it and never started any open fires.
I've never had an issue so far, but where I am there always seems to be tents dotted around during the nicer weather seasons.

I think I'm going to print off some of the laws to keep on me in case an argument should ever arise while camping :)

SashaS

Novice Camper
With regards to weather preferences, I personally love the rain and to me its more depressing seeing blue skies than it is seeing overcast skies. This is mainly due to the fact that all my best childhood memories involved sitting inside with a warm cup of coffee and listening to the rain hit the plethora of trees that surrounded my parent's house. Its something I still enjoy doing today. I don't mind the rain while camping, as long as it doesn't make the terrain around you a pool of mud, some light rain hitting the tent is something I would enjoy. I have never actually experienced it because I usually go when the weather is good to avoid the pool of mud scenario, but I hope to experience it one day.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...and the storm?

I've managed to get caught up in a storm or two over the years. The skies become instantly black, the atmosphere is a grey mist, there is a chill in the air, all is quiet including the chirping of the birds, dead silence - then

BOOM!
The first crash of lightning streaks across the sky in deafening thunder. And then it comes - slices of violent rain crisscrossing the terrain that blinds you by the unswerving pore. Your tent trembles. The crashes of lightning smash the ground and in the distant a mighty pine collapses in fear. In an instant it is over. Silence comes again. Only the sound of the thick droplets of moisture letting go of the soaked leaves and branches disturbs the peace.
The sun peaks out behind the drifting clouds - it is over
it's time to make supper.

IMG_0671.jpg

The Famous Canoe Lake in the Middle of a Storm