• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Recent Violence Uprisings

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Has the recent violence of shootings and all out brawls made you a bit worried about going off on a camping trip or visiting a national park or museum or events?
While in our area these things are not a concern as yet, but it still makes one think about the what-ifs and how to keep your family safe should you be in the area of such a dangerous event.

I don't think I have ever seen such hate and contempt of other people if you don't share their values or skin color. While I know a lot of this is caused by people paid as activists to cause trouble it seems more people would have better sense to realize good change happens through peaceful conversation, not through hurting other people or shootings or burning flags or hateful speech.

Wiki-how has a really good step-by-step plan to show you what to do:
How to Survive a Riot

But does this cause you any concern about going on vacations?

campforums

Founder
Staff member
It seems to me like camping would the opposite type of activity that would attract that sort of behaviour. Usually that kind of stuff happens when there is a higher density of people around I think.

missyify

Survivalist
I'm not really worried about that... I will read up; "never say never". I know it's good to be prepared but if I worried about it, I'd never leave my house lol.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer

Explorer
Our camping trips are usually in the mountains so I don't really worry about any riots happening there. I'm worried about violent wild animals most of the time though that's why I always keep my guard up and I make sure that we have some weapons with us whenever we go out into the wild. Since I easily wake up to any kind of sound, even the distinct sounds, I would usually serve as the guard in the family. Whenever I hear something suspicious I would wake my husband up so we would both be alert just in case something is up.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Our camping trips are usually in the mountains so I don't really worry about any riots happening there. I'm worried about violent wild animals most of the time though that's why I always keep my guard up and I make sure that we have some weapons with us whenever we go out into the wild. Since I easily wake up to any kind of sound, even the distinct sounds, I would usually serve as the guard in the family. Whenever I hear something suspicious I would wake my husband up so we would both be alert just in case something is up.
-------------------------------------------> :shifty:

...interesting thoughts. The only thing that I worry about is the weather.

gracer

Explorer
-------------------------------------------> :shifty:

...interesting thoughts. The only thing that I worry about is the weather.
Thank you. :) Speaking of weather, we only have two seasons in the Philippines (summer and rainy season) so we usually go camping only in the summer season. The rainy season here could last for 6-7 months with several stormy days that usually lasts for days so most campers are advised to avoid camping during these times.

missyify

Survivalist
Thank you. :) Speaking of weather, we only have two seasons in the Philippines (summer and rainy season) so we usually go camping only in the summer season. The rainy season here could last for 6-7 months with several stormy days that usually lasts for days so most campers are advised to avoid camping during these times.
That reminds me of Hawaii except the rainy season wasn't even that bad- at least on Oahu.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer

Explorer
@missyify Yeah, we pretty much have a similar climate as Hawaii because our country is located near the Islands surrounding it. Being in a tropical area really makes us more prone to more storms. At the moment, it has been raining non-stop here for almost 2 weeks straight so camping is a big no-no for my family during this season. :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...in our neck of the woods the temperatures have been higher than usual. The hottest summer we have seen in awhile. Water rationing is in effect in some municipalities.

Not a big fan of crowds or traffic jams, but deal with them regardless.

If in unfamiliar surroundings ALWAYS have a means of communication if possible, an escape and evade plan and if your with family ALWAYS have a rally point in the event of separation.

Common sense goes a long way, if I feel uneasy or unsafe, I relocate to a safer area and re-evaluate my priorities.

When camping, not worried about riots but a small group of campground drunks can be just as dangerous.

There are other dangers to be concerned for and to be prepared for in the event one rears its ugly head.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...must be an American thing? :)

When I'm armed it means that I have a cast iron frying pan in one hand and a spatula in the other and I'm putting it on a open fire to cook up a Yukon breakfast.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Thanks Dancer. Yes pull up a log and I'll arm my self with the maple syrup while we whoop up some pancakes in your iron skillet.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Now your all making me hungry for pancakes and syrup, made over a glowing campfire. I would need an expert cook as mine always stick in the pan.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Now your all making me hungry for pancakes and syrup, made over a glowing campfire. I would need an expert cook as mine always stick in the pan.
----------------------------- > :)
...not an expert - just an experienced guy who delights in demonstrating his skill. Once your pour the famous French Canadian pure maple syrup on those pancakes it will not make any difference if they were stuck - sooo good!

:bear: Baden Bear here, "The Province of Quebec produced 7,989,000 gallons of the stuff in 2010 (last statistic).

killeroy154

Survivalist
Oh that sounds great. We only get the watered down stuff here in these parts of the south. Maple syrup, yumm [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
O'Gosh, my mouth is watering just thinking of all those warm pancakes covered with French Canadian pure maple syrup. Yum....!

upload_2017-1-1_21-13-8.jpeg