• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Remember Those Hiking Boots

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Another question on purchasing hiking boots. It seems when ever I go searching for a proper water-proof hiking boot I am noticing that the wide sizes always sell out first. So the question in my mind is do you buy your regular shoe size or is it wiser to buy a wider boot? Like instead of a B width should a person buy a C/D width.

Some say that the extra room allows for extra thick socks or any foot swelling, but what are your opinions on this subject?

upload_2016-2-3_21-29-12.jpeg

killeroy154

Survivalist
Hello 2sweed, I have extra wide feet, so I always have problems finding a 13 extra wide in most outdoor stores around here also. I am beginning to wonder if shoe manufacturers just avoid producing many of them because of the extra material that it takes. I have to wear steel toed shoes here at work, and it's a pain in the rear finding extra wide. I have looked on the Internet at some sites, and when I select the extra wide on some of em, it shows being unavailable. I recently purchased a pair of hikers because they were my size and on sale. All the other brands on sale had no extra wide, and most of the others that were not on sale didn't have any either. But what few that had EW cost a premium.

I guess if I was going to do some major hiking like several days out at a time. I would start months ahead and hit the internet, and expect to have to return what doesn't fit (maybe several times), and expect to pay a premium price.

The wider the shoe the more material especially the foot bed and sole, and maybe different tooling and fixtures that are not as versatile as a reg size fixtures. Maybe the wide width are not as profitable to produce? These are just my theories. I work for an automotive parts manufacturer company, and every aspect is scrutinized and explored for cost savings. Right down to reducing an 8 hour shift to 7.75 because we don't get paid for our 20 min lunch.

I could go on but I won't. Like I said just my theories.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Back in 08 when things slowed at work, I had 3 days off a week, it was great. My wife and I would drive about 2 hrs to the smoky mtn national park, and do day hikes. I had a new pair of inexpensive hiking shoes that I had worn very little. We took off one morning for mount lecont which is about 11 miles round trip. It is a fairly strenuous hike, and of course I carried the pack with water and lunch and stuff. Going up wasn't bad, but coming down I destroyed those cheap shoes. I ripped the seam out on one foot and punched through the heel on the other foot. Never again will I buy cheap. Lesson learnd.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Thanks for sharing killeroy 154. I am finding if and when wide is available it is not in my size or it is way way too expensive. It seems even top producers of any kind of shoe do not keep very many in stock. When I do their surveys I always complain about lack of available stock. So many are made in China and the sizing is a mess. I have thought about buying a hiking boot in the men size equal to my ladies size to have more room in hiking boot for comfort, but hope others will weigh in on topic as well.

killeroy154

Survivalist
My wife buys in the men's section also. She said sometimes there is a better selection. She has trouble finding the cross trainers that she wears to the gym, she works out about 3 days a week. I got a little worried a few years ago cause she was taking a kickboxing class and enjoyed it. EW I don't or wouldn't cheat on her, she'd probably messed up.

I probably wear sandals 8 months out of the year, it's little warmer down here. I try to keep my feet and toes in good shape, which reminds me of a story. Many years ago when my 2 daughters were little, they painted my toenails while I was snoozing on the couch....they did a pretty job to. Oohaah. I probably said to much. Glad y'all don't know who I am.

killeroy154

Survivalist
My wife buys in the men's section also. She said sometimes there is a better selection. She has trouble finding the cross trainers that she wears to the gym, she works out about 3 days a week. I got a little worried a few years ago cause she was taking a kickboxing class and enjoyed it. EW I don't or wouldn't cheat on her, she'd probably mess me up.

I probably wear sandals 8 months out of the year, it's little warmer down here. I try to keep my feet and toes in good shape, which reminds me of a story. Many years ago when my 2 daughters were little, they painted my toenails while I was snoozing on the couch....they did a pretty job to. Oohaah. I probably said to much. Glad y'all don't know who I am.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I have a wider size to accommodate proper hiking socks. I often use my hikers in the winter too and the size permits winter socks to be worn. I use a waterproof spray on the boots to help keep the wetness and mud off - though you can purchase good boots that have a water resistant material.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR7NL2TPONZZcDzwIxG_BvP5hmJyJFJfOUeYxlSzrkw4eN9jNP.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I am adding another question to this. Should I wear part wool socks in the summer time to protect my feet from chafing or dampness, or is it better to wear cotton socks?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...good question. I tend to stay with hiker socks which frequently have a mixture of both. At one time we didn't have any choice but we do today. They don't have to be expensive either - I'm always appalled at the prices I see in the big box outdoor stores charging. I'm into reading labels and who manufactures the same and make my decision based on that information. I hope that is helpful.