• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Restaurant on the river boat

Alexandoy

Pathfinder
Have you experienced dining on a river boat? In the province of Bohol, there is the river called Loboc that is legendary. But the present attraction are the river boats that serve meals. It's actually a floating restaurant and not just floating because the boat travels along the river. That means you are on a sight-seeing trip while dining on the good food which are mostly native. Maybe when I go there, I can post pictures of those boats.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...yep - I've had the pleasure -

upload_2017-7-22_11-7-6.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_11-7-25.jpeg
upload_2017-7-22_11-8-24.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_11-8-0.jpeg

I live on the Grand.
upload_2017-7-22_11-10-31.jpeg
upload_2017-7-22_11-10-59.jpeg
upload_2017-7-22_11-11-16.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_11-11-50.jpeg
upload_2017-7-22_11-12-15.jpeg
upload_2017-7-22_11-13-35.jpeg

We had a major flood in 1974 the prompted a massive flood control project.

upload_2017-7-22_11-14-42.jpeg
upload_2017-7-22_11-17-25.jpeg

One of our finest on duty that day.

rz3300

Explorer
I have seen quite the variety when it comes to floating eating options lately, and I have to say that I like it. I think maybe I am just more suited to eat at them these days but for whatever reason they are appearing more frequently.

killeroy154

Survivalist
We went on a dinner boat ride in Knoxville TN. It was ok. I enjoyed being on the river more than the meal. When I purchased my tandem canoe a few years back, my wife and I picked it up at the store and took it straight to that part of the river for its maiden paddling. It was Monday after Easter Sunday. We used to stay on the Delta Queen when it was docked in Chattanooga.
25aa90a26b8a3d50d32e5d1ff8db0af6.jpg
That was great.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...now that's what you call real classy @killeroy154 - and something I'd love to do. The closest I ever got to something like that was the Muskoka Segwun.

upload_2017-7-22_23-31-27.jpeg

And then again there is my canoe - I've had lunch aboard that craft many times - usually after the portage. :)

killeroy154

Survivalist
We dream of taking a river boat cruise down the Mississippi River to Louisiana. Sitting on the deck of a river boat drinking a colored substance with a little umbrella sticking out of the glass, watching the river bank slip by and hearing the soft sipping of the paddle wheel propelling us along. It was great staying on the old Delta Queen. Except for the modern, small which we were fine with, bathroom and air conditioning, most of it was original wood work. The Delta Queen was built in the 20s, served in WW2 in the California Delta as a recovery hospital, and then was purchased, brought though the Panama Canal and into the Mississippi River. It ran up and down the rivers of the Ohio, Tennessee, and Missouri rivers. It was deemed unsafe to take passengers out in 2008 because of the all wood structure being a fire hazard. So it ended up in Chattanooga as a floating hotel, and it was great staying on it. It has been sold and taken to Louisiana to be restored and citizens have been pressuring the government to release it from its restrictions. Maybe one of these days, I'll be on it again cruising the river.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Oh yes, I have ate lunch in my canoe while drifting the river before. We would tie our boats together and eat lunch while drifting the lazy parts of a river, and of course poke jokes at each other. But when we finished the slow drift and hit the rough water and shoals, it was break lose and fishing time.

rz3300

Explorer
I have always had those sorts of fantasies of a perfect life operating something like this. I am sure there is a lot of work involved, of course, but man the rewards of being out there daily would certainly be nice.