• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

When Your Up The Creek Without A Paddle

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I hope this shows up and am testing the link. However, should it fail I will give a explanation of what to do when you lose your paddles. This two young men managed to use their quick wit and strength to easily get back to the shoreline.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
Well, okay, that IS pretty ingenious of them. I wonder how they managed to both lose their paddles at the same time when they were out in the river ? That part was not very good thinking. I don't know if just one person would be able to "jump the boat" along like these two guys did or not, but it was definitely a novel idea.

Kind of like clicking the starter on an old manual-shift car to jump it along for a little ways when it won't start, i guess. Usually, you can use the remaining paddle to get close enough to the lost one to retreive it; but if you only had one paddle to start with, then maybe the jumping idea would work.

Great video, @2sweed ! !

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
That could be a deadly thing to happen. And it must not happen. Can you imagine being five days away from base camp and trying to do that manoeuvre - sorry, it isn't going to work. There is always a spare canoe paddle in each canoe (that's the law in this neck of the woods).

The only possible way to lose all your paddles is by a major disaster. The only other situation would be people who are green horn amateurs and I admit I've seen lots of those.

I had a canoe chum back some who use to whittle a paddle out of pine - he was really good at it.

I never learned that skill - might be something for me to try this summer.:)

killeroy154

Survivalist
That's like "canoe bobbing". I read in Canoeroots Magazine where some people make a game similar to this. It is a 2 person 1 canoe game where each person would stand up on their end of the canoe, and get the canoe bobbing and try to get their opponent to lose their balance and fall in.

So those 2 were doing "Canoe Scooting" ha I just named it. They were wearing life jackets, so they weren't total idijits. I wouldn't do it with a light weight expensive canoe either.

So many wonderful places
So little time