• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Where do you shop for your camping attire?

The Blacksmith

Novice Camper
I'm a member at REI. They are a little pricey but there are always sales going on.
I bought a folding canvas chair for my three year old daughter. It has become her everyday use chair.
If you are a member, you can get just about anything replaced if it breaks.
Nice store and friendly staff.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'm a member at REI. They are a little pricey but there are always sales going on.
I bought a folding canvas chair for my three year old daughter. It has become her everyday use chair.
If you are a member, you can get just about anything replaced if it breaks.
Nice store and friendly staff.
_________________________________________________________________________ :)

I shop for top notch equipment in any place that has the lowest price or the best sale. MEC, [CCM] Cabela's, [CCM], SAIL, [CCM] Bass Pro, Venture Guide, Gear Locker; I really don't care - but you better offer me something than the regular price or there is no sale.

CCM = Card Carrying Member

:bear: Man, he's tough.

Camp6

Novice Camper
I usually buy my camping equipment on campmor.com. They sell almost every product that you will need for camping including camping gear, apparel, footwear, and travel items. You can also buy them on amazon.com.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I usually buy my camping equipment on campmor.com. They sell almost every product that you will need for camping including camping gear, apparel, footwear, and travel items. You can also buy them on amazon.com.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

Interesting site - you might want to look at Cabela's as a comparison.

For sales try Sierra Trading Post. I just got two pairs of Whitewood XC Ski boots Nordic Norm (wife and self) for $85US (total - including shipping). Outstanding boots and cheaper than any brand I've seen anywhere. Sierra Trading Post - We Are All Explorers. Most of their stuff seems to be closeouts so all sizes may not be available in all colors. Typically their closeout prices start at 70% or so off original retail. Then, you can pick up a coupon code and save another 25 or 30%. Whitewoods 301 Nordic Ski Boots (For Men and Women) - Save 43%

kncollins2013

Novice Camper
Where do you normally shop for your camping apparel? We normally shop at Cabelas when we get out of town, otherwise we shop online.
I always hit up thrift stores for flannels, t-shirts, tank-tops, shorts and pants. I don't really see the point in buying $80 shirts when you can get them for $3 at a local Goodwill or thrift store. On the other hand though, shoes are important and I don't mind spending a little extra on them; especially if you are planning on hiking.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I always hit up thrift stores for flannels, t-shirts, tank-tops, shorts and pants. I don't really see the point in buying $80 shirts when you can get them for $3 at a local Goodwill or thrift store. On the other hand though, shoes are important and I don't mind spending a little extra on them; especially if you are planning on hiking.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

Excellent - I do the same and get some really good bargains.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for REI. Some have mentioned that it can be pricey, which is certainly true. But members get access to their "garage sales," where they sell overstock, discontinued colors, returns, etc. for unbelievable bargains. I just got back from the spring sale with a north face jacket for $15, usually $130. They have also won me over with their customer service. I have terrible ankles and so only certain hiking boots work for me, and they tend to be fairly expensive. After two backpacking trips, one of the lace hooks on my boot broke off, making the pair essentially useless. I was not looking forward to the cost of replacing those boots, but I took them into REI and they gave me a new pair, free of charge. That kind of service will win my loyalty!

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
That's it isn't it? I'm the same - I want quality at the very best prices and therefore in my situation I have no loyalties. Beside all that there are so many new supply stores that are opening the competition is fierce to get my bucks. And as everybody knows - I'm cheap. :)

Welcome to the Babble MyLimitDoesNotExist

SashaS

Novice Camper
I know that this may not be applicable to most people on this forum, but I figured its worth sharing. Here we have a store known as Cape Union Mart, they supply camping, hiking and outdoor gear and I've loved shopping there. They always seem to stock all sorts of interesting and wonderful gadgets that I haven't seen anywhere else. Their prices are reasonable and they also have a great selection of outdoor clothing. Other than that, I sometimes buy from our local online retailer, Takealot.com.

Shipping from international places is laughably expensive here. To put that into perspective, I once paid over $900 for a $200 laptop that I bought from eBay and there was a $6000 car I wanted to buy, but shipping cost $8500, so that's out of the equation, leaving my only choice to be retailers. I recently bought an awesome K-Way Venture 50 hiking backpack from Cape Union Mart for the equivalent of about $52 from their 40% off sale and its things like these that keep me coming back. Camping is reasonably popular here so there are a great variety of brands to choose from.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I know that this may not be applicable to most people on this forum, but I figured its worth sharing. Here we have a store known as Cape Union Mart, they supply camping, hiking and outdoor gear and I've loved shopping there. They always seem to stock all sorts of interesting and wonderful gadgets that I haven't seen anywhere else. Their prices are reasonable and they also have a great selection of outdoor clothing. Other than that, I sometimes buy from our local online retailer, Takealot.com.

Shipping from international places is laughably expensive here. To put that into perspective, I once paid over $900 for a $200 laptop that I bought from eBay and there was a $6000 car I wanted to buy, but shipping cost $8500, so that's out of the equation, leaving my only choice to be retailers. I recently bought an awesome K-Way Venture 50 hiking backpack from Cape Union Mart for the equivalent of about $52 from their 40% off sale and its things like these that keep me coming back. Camping is reasonably popular here so there are a great variety of brands to choose from.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :)

I checked out the Mart - interesting place.

rz3300

Explorer
We actually recently got a Duluth Trading Store here close to town so I am kind of excited to see what they have to offer. Before that, and still today, it is usually a Cabellas or another store like that, or various little stores.