• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Buck 857 El Morro Knife (USA)

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
@FootPathOne, we have a lot we could talk about, maybe not so appropriate for this forum. I'm sorry things go the way they do sometimes, especially when good people are sacrificed. Yes indeed, a lot could be said.

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
My experience with the Grylls Knife has been positive. It does what the manufacturers said that it would do. I wasn't interested in the little whistle or the survival instructions that came with it. It does have a knife sharpener attached, the fire starter is fine and the blade is sharp. I've used it to cut down small trees, cut up wood for the fire place. When I do wear in into the wilderness I have my own whistle attached and a glow tab so I can immediately find it in the dark.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL3qpaEWhIchxLe9-xV1iZaksB4hQ36VTxqajDZzxiRb1OhzfTqA.jpg
You can convert it into a spear.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaYXpdEcE1FUnBnlkFudtLy9w-iJh9Oe1rUnVEyDNxTz3771gY.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpIe8vJbP0Yb72OHu8T7HjLb4vnB_nJEEwEfjqacGYSImiPI2-.jpg
The base is a hammer

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
It's like any piece of equipment - it's what we are use to and like the most. Though these last few years I find myself comparing more and more; looking elsewhere for something better and always looking for a sale in anything I purchase.

It's stunningly amazing what one can purchase today. Name it - solar power and communication systems, synthetic materials right out of space, canoes weighing a feather, protective clothing that you have to check yourself to make sure you are wearing something. From snow shoes to running shoes there has been a revolution in every part of the outdoor industry. All waiting to be purchased from the likes of us. :dead:

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
My experience with the Grylls Knife has been positive. It does what the manufacturers said that it would do. I wasn't interested in the little whistle or the survival instructions that came with it. It does have a knife sharpener attached, the fire starter is fine and the blade is sharp. I've used it to cut down small trees, cut up wood for the fire place. When I do wear in into the wilderness I have my own whistle attached and a glow tab so I can immediately find it in the dark.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL3qpaEWhIchxLe9-xV1iZaksB4hQ36VTxqajDZzxiRb1OhzfTqA.jpg
You can convert it into a spear.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaYXpdEcE1FUnBnlkFudtLy9w-iJh9Oe1rUnVEyDNxTz3771gY.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpIe8vJbP0Yb72OHu8T7HjLb4vnB_nJEEwEfjqacGYSImiPI2-.jpg
The base is a hammer
Perfect! I too am a believer in using one tool for multiple applications, so it is good to read that the BG knife allows for several tasks. Plus, I'm going to borrow your idea about the glow tab, especially if I need to reach for the knife immediately at night while in my hammock or tent. Fumbling adds nano seconds to time that you may not have :)

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
It's like any piece of equipment - it's what we are use to and like the most. Though these last few years I find myself comparing more and more; looking elsewhere for something better and always looking for a sale in anything I purchase.

It's stunningly amazing what one can purchase today. Name it - solar power and communication systems, synthetic materials right out of space, canoes weighing a feather, protective clothing that you have to check yourself to make sure you are wearing something. From snow shoes to running shoes there has been a revolution in every part of the outdoor industry. All waiting to be purchased from the likes of us. :dead:
You just listed the reason why I frequently go back to reading the book by Horace Kephart: "The Book of Camping & Woodcraft" (keeps me grounded - no pun intended - and real). We have to admit one thing. Marketing is a powerful industry. I'm content with my fixed income because it curtails the rapid growth of useless stuff :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Perfect! I too am a believer in using one tool for multiple applications, so it is good to read that the BG knife allows for several tasks. Plus, I'm going to borrow your idea about the glow tab, especially if I need to reach for the knife immediately at night while in my hammock or tent. Fumbling adds nano seconds to time that you may not have :)
----->

A shot of flashlight will keep them bright all night. I also use them on my tent zippers, especially on the inside.

upload_2017-3-25_14-23-46.jpeg

Manufactured by MSR. And because I'm forever falling over my guy-lines at night I use these too >
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlvIJcnCzqu0TxtAxu2gD1FezJgUrXCasgqRBnntki3wBWIhCsag.jpg
They reflect flashlights very well. :)

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
Oooh yeah! The thing-a-ma-gig, do-hicky, whatch-ya-call-it! Lost mine years ago :)
5b4c044e171e15a12a755a8ea1e9c923.jpg
Fine loop complete. Another Camping Babble success story. Thanks for this 'little' great tip.

Bibsoutdoors

Niiice! It's even color coordinated, wow! The loop helps if your hand is wider than the handle, plus prevents the sharpy thing from becoming a projectile, whose owner can guard against the puncturing of body parts on self or others.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
REI?! Here I come tonight :)
-----> :peeking:
Personally I found them a tad expensive. But they really do work. I have one on my hatchet - great for night time when it's fallen to the ground. Stay away from the battery operated ones. Why? because you need to buy batteries - an added expense that is not necessary.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Nice collection you've got there, Benchmade makes great knives. I have a Benchmade 710 and a couple of Spydercos that I really love.
I just took a look at the Benchmade 710, I like that blade, I find them extremely beneficial and helpful. They don't give those away either do they! Nice thing about that knife, it's more than just a camping knife.
1bac55f063e47f8c1b6d232b880e6d9a.jpg
mine is getting pretty beat up but it's like a Timex, takes a beating and keeps on slicing and dicing.

Bibsoutdoors