• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Buck 857 El Morro Knife (USA)

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist

I just watched the video on the 710. I'm impressed! Read that it was discontinued :-(
This one had no serrated blade. I guess they sell them both ways. Discontinued you say, you would think I was trying to buy one, that would be more my luck. I see there are some in E-bay for sale, as long as you're careful on that site might be ok to purchase from them. I just can't believe the prices now. I have to wonder if the bushcrafting, prepping explosion hasn't "driven"the prices up. Hard to say. Just blows my mind as to the cost. I guess we are living in the times of a financial free flow! As usual I'm at the top of the mountain as all the money flows downwards...grumble, grumble, grumble!

Bibsoutdoors

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
This one had no serrated blade. I guess they sell them both ways. Discontinued you say, you would think I was trying to buy one, that would be more my luck. I see there are some in E-bay for sale, as long as you're careful on that site might be ok to purchase from them. I just can't believe the prices now. I have to wonder if the bushcrafting, prepping explosion hasn't "driven"the prices up. Hard to say. Just blows my mind as to the cost. I guess we are living in the times of a financial free flow! As usual I'm at the top of the mountain as all the money flows downwards...grumble, grumble, grumble!

Bibsoutdoors
You are correct. Popularity has contributed to increased prices (learned this in Microeconomics). Send me the coordinates of your mountain top so I can camp at mid-slope (joke). Hey, think of it as a personal way of stimulating the economy :)

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
You made a great selection. In fact most attendees, at the NJ bushcraft event I posted earlier, carried the Benchmade Knives. Appears to be very popular among the hardcore outdoor enthusiasts.

Glad to read about the positive experiences you had with Buck Knives, and "THANK YOU" for your many years of community service. Buck Knives are easy to find in my area, and are affordably priced.

I was looking at the Benchmade Knives at REI last Monday, but once I saw the over $100 price tag I immediately did an about face. I repeated to myself as I quickly walked out of the store: "a want, not a need", "a want, not a need", "a want, not a need", ... :)

View attachment 2394

The Bravo Squad Leader by Bark River Knives is on my wish list (should a wealthy relative ask - hey, you never know!).
I did forget to mention and I've done this for years and years. I go into places like REI and others, handle an object to see if it's what I want then I go on line to purchase it where I can get the best deal, after all, I worked too hard to collect my nickels just to throw my money away. Many people don't like that I do this and my feeling is this, forget fancy promotions - sales and the like. Give me your best deal, and I will shop around to make sure I've got the best deal, then I'll buy from you. Small town loyalty is years gone and out dated.

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
I did forget to mention and I've done this for years and years. I go into places like REI and others, handle an object to see if it's what I want then I go on line to purchase it where I can get the best deal, after all, I worked too hard to collect my nickels just to throw my money away. Many people don't like that I do this and my feeling is this, forget fancy promotions - sales and the like. Give me your best deal, and I will shop around to make sure I've got the best deal, then I'll buy from you. Small town loyalty is years gone and out dated.
I'm sort of the same way with purchases. I usually have a price range in my head once I know the ballpark cost. I'm in an area where people are still struggling financially, so I don't mind paying slightly more in price to purchase from the "mom and pop shops". In fact, as an example, there was a homeless person sleeping in a trash dumpster a few days ago in our HOA community. One of the residents was walking their dog when they happen to notice some movement in the container. The police were called and they discovered it was a homeless person sleeping inside.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I'm sort of the same way with purchases. I usually have a price range in my head once I know the ballpark cost. I'm in an area where people are still struggling financially, so I don't mind paying slightly more in price to purchase from the "mom and pop shops". In fact, as an example, there was a homeless person sleeping in a trash dumpster a few days ago in our HOA community. One of the residents was walking their dog when they happen to notice some movement in the container. The police were called and they discovered it was a homeless person sleeping inside.
I feel compassion for homeless people that don't wish to live that way, my home is such that I guess I'm sheltered from seeing the homeless. I do understand what you are saying about your willingness to spend more to help those around you.

I just don't feel REI, Cabela's, LL Bean, Gander Mountain along with many others deserve the same compassion. For example, I go into REI to purchase a backpack, at the end of the year they send me a dividend check. Take it off the price to begin with and forget the dividend check, I'll buy from you, browse and possibly spend more. Instead I find the exact same product on line for $$ less. I'm going with the online seller. Gander Mountain gives us money back when we spend money at their store??? Knock it off, I'll buy more from you if you are competitive with those on line and stop the gimmicks. Now I know online has less overhead than brick and mortar and presumably sell for less right off the bat. Or do they? I purchased Goal Zero products, not from Goal Zero (who can only be found on line) but from an on line retailer that had exactly the same items for @ $135.00 less.
4109b5c08a560007a5d145a5f64a62f2.jpg
I cannot and will not buy from anyone who will so blatantly steal from me. Take notice, North Face, Patagonia, Columbia, Outdoor Research just to name a fraction of companies that do the same thing as Goal Zero does.

I set a high school goal to retire from work when I hit age 45. I made it. But to do so I had to scrimp and save every penny I could to put into investments. (When you don't make much more than minimum wage, this is difficult.) I only tell you that so I can say this; maybe I'm still living the life of the penny pinching miser. Maybe I'm being unrealistic but it always comes back to it being my money and that was money hard to come by. If I'm alone in my feelings, then I would predict stores will do ok without the likes of me. If I'm not alone, then it's past time to give us the lowest possible price.

Do they think because it's not a necessity and frivolous camping gear they can up the price? Soak the fools buying it? I think they tread on dangerous ground, but as I've said in the past, [emoji243] [emoji90] , I'm full of it.

Bibsoutdoors

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
That was certainly an interesting thread @Bibsoutdoors! A man after my own heart. How many times have I said - "check around for better prices", "never purchase unless on sale", "check out the competition - they might have something better", "read the independent consumers reports". Sounds like a rant doesn't it?

We have all seen manufacturers spend tonnes of money promoting crappy product lines rather than spending equal amounts of money to improve their products. There have been some classic examples. Any one seen a Ford Pinto lately?

Every one knows my attitude towards words like "best". THERE IS NO BEST! :)

And frivolous purchases and mundane, useless and silly equipment? Ya - I got the Ass Award on that one. More money than brains. But, in all fairness, after therapy, I improved considerably.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSV8kctUw2xFZeOK_wmNkAW1P_GAYZp5D_NrFZ9LIn8tkvzVe4T5g.png
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbnJTLBYI0S6h7YrsQaq_eAC5-GbBHm2LBuhpGMFKybnR0zdJd.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Yes, I owe an apology for ranting on and on. I'm sorry. Not to try and justify myself, but I wonder if being alone for so many years didn't have some negative impact on my being? Well I know one thing for sure, I don't now or never will have enough money to get the proper help I need! So instead
84359184f409010d670201194f3021bf.jpg

Honestly though...
12eaad1568cd4202d5fd5c88acd63272.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Madman4800

Survivalist
I almost always shop online. You don't have to deal with inconsiderate people and staff that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. And best of all I make a few clicks on the old think box and sit on my lazy butt until it arrives. What can I do with this time? Maybe I can reminisce about my 79 Pinto. I don't miss it one bit.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I almost always shop online. You don't have to deal with inconsiderate people and staff that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. And best of all I make a few clicks on the old think box and sit on my lazy butt until it arrives. What can I do with this time? Maybe I can reminisce about my 79 Pinto. I don't miss it one bit.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk
You had a Pinto....really??? Giggle!
ad9f03a06b927e8b55f2c3d02bbb9b34.jpg

Bibsoutdoors