• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Building a Yurt - Low Cost and Simple

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Well...it certainly looks challenging but I think (other than the possibility of renting one for a night) I'm going to hang with my Alaknaks. These tents can be up in less than 30 minutes.

2luvdw.jpg
12 X 20

1ze8n5w.jpg
10 X 10

Both are equipped with stove jacks. :) :bear: They are nice and warm in the midst of a winter blast.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well...it certainly looks challenging but I think (other than the possibility of renting one for a night) I'm going to hang with my Alaknaks. These tents can be up in less than 30 minutes.
Yeah and you can take your tent with you when the trip is over! If you built a Yurt, all your efforts would have to be repeated again next trip. It does sound like it would be kind of a fun way to contribute back to the camping parks if you wanted to construct a Yurt that other people could then use for who knows how long after you have made it.

kevinkimers

Novice Camper
Yeah and you can take your tent with you when the trip is over! If you built a Yurt, all your efforts would have to be repeated again next trip. It does sound like it would be kind of a fun way to contribute back to the camping parks if you wanted to construct a Yurt that other people could then use for who knows how long after you have made it.
Actually Yurts were designed by nomadic tribes. They were designed to be easy to take apart and put together for travel. That one may not have been the best example. Typically they are made of canvas walls and wood or metal poles. I've seen some with Aluminum poles that interconnect similar to a tent. They have no floor and a small opening at the top. This allows you to put your camp fire inside of the Yurt to keep it warm. Similar to a T-Pee.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I've always liked the idea of having a camp fire inside that's why I've enjoyed the tee-pee style of camping to. But you have aroused my curiosity and I like trying new things. Could well be that I'll add this to my summer 2015 fun stuff.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Actually Yurts were designed by nomadic tribes. They were designed to be easy to take apart and put together for travel. That one may not have been the best example. Typically they are made of canvas walls and wood or metal poles. I've seen some with Aluminum poles that interconnect similar to a tent. They have no floor and a small opening at the top. This allows you to put your camp fire inside of the Yurt to keep it warm. Similar to a T-Pee.
Well I guess a lot of the ones that they rent out in the provincial parks are not really Yurts then, more like cabins which is what I usually refer to them as because a lot of people have never heard the term "Yurt" before. That is what they refer to them on the parks website though, I guess it sort of adds to the camping theme as opposed to simply calling them cabins or huts.

I've always liked the idea of having a camp fire inside that's why I've enjoyed the tee-pee style of camping to. But you have aroused my curiosity and I like trying new things. Could well be that I'll add this to my summer 2015 fun stuff.
What idea is that? Yurt camping?

BMWPOWER

Staff member
yea.... that will take you a couple days to make. But if you're ever stranded at a place with no shelter, I can see this becoming useful

kevinkimers

Novice Camper
LOL that is the wonderful thing about yurts... there is no set design. They are used by and called by different names all over the world and they come in different sizes, shapes, and materials.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
That's why I call mine a tent. :)

Seriously though, I'm doing a bit of research. If I don't get around to accomplishing that goal at least I will have a better understanding and appreciation of the same.

Last edited:

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
I think that part of the attraction of a yurt is the very fact that it is round, as opposed to being rectangular. Some of the most ancient dwellings that were made by mankind have been round in shape, and they are found all over the world.
Even though they are called by different names in different parts of the world, the similarities are incredible. Their round design make them stable in windstorms, and blizzards because the winds tend to just go around them rather than getting caught at the corners and blowing the structure down.
The Navaho have lived for centuries in a round home that is almost identical in structure to a yurt; the main difference being that the yurt was used by nomadic tribes and was portable, while the Navaho hogan was built to remain in one place.
There is also the igloo built by the Eskimos in Alaska, the same rounded shape, just made out of snow and ice rather than clay or felt.
The Mongolian yurt was easy to disassemble and move around, so the nomads could follow the flocks as they searched for new grazing lands.
From what I have read, they also used something similar to a teepee, which was also called a teepee.

All in all , the amazing history of yurts, and the similar structures worldwide makes me really consider the possibility that there was definitely a bridge between the continents early in mankind's history.

http://harvestheart.tumblr.com/post/4294388176