• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you use our have you used a Shemagh?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
2017-05-27-08-40-00-.jpg
They've been around on this side of the globe for awhile and i know preppers are using them, but I'm curious if regular campers or people who canoe use them? When the wind blows and the dirt is flying do you wrap up? When walking or canoeing into heavily bugged areas do you wrap up? Do you use them to keep sun off you? Do you wet them to keep cool? Do you carry them for first aide purposes? Do you use them as a bag to carry wood? Do you wrap them around your shoulders when your chilled?

Tell us what you have or plan on using yours for.

Reactions: DBX

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
To tell you the truth, I've had a hard time getting past the stigma of them being used by people I don't like. But I do see special operations using them more and more so I became interested in their views of them. I know it's ridiculous to harbor bad feelings for an article of clothing just because it's used by extremists and religions I detest, but I'm human. Trying to get past that little fault of mine, I purchased two of them. I got them too late in the year to try them in cold weather so I'm waiting for other weather or bug related... well anything kind of reasons to try them out. With gangsters and all sorts of masked bad guys, you know, bank robbers and the such it is difficult to wear them in this country. If you wear a mask you are associated with bad and people become extremely suspicious of you, I know I feel that way. So I'm not sure it will ever catch on in this country. Interesting hang ups we have, our at least, hang ups I have. Well see.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Can always wear as a scarf that way it's handy if you run into a sand storm. Josh Gates wears a scarf on Expedition Unknown, and one of the Doctor Whos used to wear one too. I bought one of those things you wet and drape over your head or neck when it's hot out. Works pretty good, stylish?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Sounds dumb, but maybe some logo'd type material. Associated with outdoor recreation if some sort. To ease the uneasiness of the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing dumb about that idea! Recognized brand names would go along ways to relieving anxiety from others I would think. How scary can I be with a big old "Outdoor Research" on my head. Ha ha. I don't know, I really think our government has used it as subliminal propaganda for so long we may never escape the negative association. Have you ever seen a picture of the bad guys without a shemaug on their heads, I haven't and we always see our boys with helmets.

Just saying

DBX

Novice Camper
View attachment 2519 They've been around on this side of the globe for awhile and i know preppers are using them, but I'm curious if regular campers or people who canoe use them? When the wind blows and the dirt is flying do you wrap up? When walking or canoeing into heavily bugged areas do you wrap up? Do you use them to keep sun off you? Do you wet them to keep cool? Do you carry them for first aide purposes? Do you use them as a bag to carry wood? Do you wrap them around your shoulders when your chilled?

Tell us what you have or plan on using yours for.
The short answer is, YES!
I generally have two in each bag and pack I own.
I've used mine for all of the above, and as a hot pad, pot grabber, hand towel, mini shade tarp, and winter neck wrap. Treated with Permethrin they offer great protection from crawly/flying bitey thingies!
Even, once, sacrificed one as tinder for a desperately needed fire!

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
The short answer is, YES!
I generally have two in each bag and pack I own.
I've used mine for all of the above, and as a hot pad, pot grabber, hand towel, mini shade tarp, and winter neck wrap. Treated with Permethrin they offer great protection from crawly/flying bitey thingies!
Even, once, sacrificed one as tinder for a desperately needed fire!
Man, that gives us a whole lot of uses, more than I thought of, excellent. I love to hear about the use of equipment, if you ever care to tell about each use, I'll be reading it! Ha ha! Do you feel there is a stigma attached to shemaugs, if yes, how do you deal with it when you are out there? Just for fun, what colors are yours? Mine are green and brown, not straight up green and brown... you know.

DBX

Novice Camper
I forgot, backdrop for photos!
Predominantly, I have earthy colors, OD greens, tans, and browns. The one solid black one I had is the one that died in the fire! LOL
I don't worry about any stigmas. A shemagh is a tool, like a knife or axe. As such, it can have no intent of its own. The user decides if it serves Good or Evil.

Bonus Fact: I, normally, give VERY little weight to the fashion opinions of most folks, even less when I'm out in the boonies. [emoji12]
f67d75c21a109ac98119585c0b6d7f2f.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I forgot, backdrop for photos!
Predominantly, I have earthy colors, OD greens, tans, and browns. The one solid black one I had is the one that died in the fire! LOL
I don't worry about any stigmas. A shemagh is a tool, like a knife or axe. As such, it can have no intent of its own. The user decides if it serves Good or Evil.

Bonus Fact: I, normally, give VERY little weight to the fashion opinions of most folks, even less when I'm out in the boonies. [emoji12]
f67d75c21a109ac98119585c0b6d7f2f.jpg
Back drop...lol...good one. I'm not so I interested in people's opinions on most things, unless I can learn, I'm too old to care if some doesn't like my bibs. (Most people dont)(but I find it is a great tool to use to have people underestimate me) I was curious why it hasn't caught on more here, I thought possibly the idea of where it came from etc., might have something to do with it. I guess in the end it doesn't matter. You are correct of course, in the deep woods...what ever! I like your percolator, do you make coffee or burn water? If coffee do you make cowboy or perk it? Maybe you heat water for a pour over? My wife and I enjoy percolating the most, but, we do everything.

DBX

Novice Camper
Generally, down here, it's too hot for bibs to be comfortable. But, during our 14 non-consecutive days of Winter, I have been known to wear them.

Most times I prefer perk. However, since coffee is right up there with fire and shelter, I'll drink it anyway I can get it!

Me with bibs. Can't really tell, but they're there. And yes, that's a real pith helmet! Given to me by one of the guys in this group. Shemagh in there, too.
d0425f6b536c9740d97d839448a948dd.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Generally, down here, it's too hot for bibs to be comfortable. But, during our 14 non-consecutive days of Winter, I have been known to wear them.

Most times I prefer perk. However, since coffee is right up there with fire and shelter, I'll drink it anyway I can get it!

Me with bibs. Can't really tell, but they're there. And yes, that's a real pith helmet! Given to me by one of the guys in this group. Shemagh in there, too.
d0425f6b536c9740d97d839448a948dd.jpg
When I retired I said, no more suits, no more uniforms. That will be 14 years in September, I've never looked back! Ha ha. Hey, you look good in a pith helmet, not everyone can say that! I like the way you have the shemagh rolled around your neck, handy and convenient if you need something more than a neck warmer.

Look at that collection of knives, is this a skinning, meat cutting gathering? Wow, that's some knives!

DBX

Novice Camper
Ha! No, just a group of nare-do-wells who have an affection (affliction?) for a weird looking knife that most people can't figure out.
First pic is at San Saba, Texas (a 20° January day, I think). Second is on the top of Enchanted Rock, South of Llano, Texas (a 103° August day), wet shemagh is hanging out of my back pocket, to be used as a cooling head cover.
The infamous Tracker WSK!
b92c7cf195ca4fd8403c3d623975eb58.jpg
863038cdb9e23ee9561f95183b0b0489.jpg
22f9cf47f9202fb9c9dacc2aec24b208.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Second picture, that is you on far left as we look at the photo? The knives in the pictures remind me of a Montana knife, but obviously that is not the case. What are they used for? For that matter what are they called? I trust you are from the great state of Texas? There's a hot place for you...my wife and I left Oklahoma nine years ago for four seasons and cold weather! I can breath again! Ha! You'll have to start a new post and tell us what kind of camping you enjoy, if you have a significant other and if they like to camp with you. We absolutely love to hear about gear and the gear you enjoy using the most/best. DBX, if it has to do with camping, this forum is all in. Let us know.
2017-05-29-14-25-07-691055386.jpg

DBX

Novice Camper
Yup, Texas boy, through and through!
I've traveled the world and all 50 States. Keep coming back here,for some reason!

The knife in question is called a Wilderness Survival Knife (WSK) by it's designer and original maker. Most people call it a Tom Brown Tracker, or Tracker, for short.
It is not a knife for the faint of heart! It is, basically, a razor edged, multifunction pry bar. It will challenge you're mindset of what a knife can do and how one can be used.
It's good at everything from wood processing to minor camp chores.
But, it's versatility comes with a pretty long learning curve. Longer than most are willing to spend.
Some are indifferent, some hate it, few understand it. But, it sang to me and I answered the Sirens call! LOL
d9f7cd00f84673fd853a67fd40e7aad4.jpg
d6192ee906c9184cc98b7f2d28bec8f4.jpg
80b1c0d845f17f177ac1faad02d4ee31.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
@DBXZ

OH MY GOODNESS...such poetry...love...you've got me thinking that I'll never hear the wilderness call again without one! Actually you had me at razor sharp, multifunction, pry bar. There is no tool worth more than one that can multi-task. Three names suggests to me it's been around for awhile. That's good, but, it disappoints me that I've never heard of it before. I'm not suggesting I've seen it all, more disappointed in myself for spending $280 on a bushcraft knife that can only do one thing. It wasn't that sharp when I got it either, I had to work my fool head off to get a razor finish.
bushcrafter_1000x1000_1.jpg
1490456086820.jpg
The last item is the sharpener I used. Cheap in price, wonderful in producing a final product. Well I believe I'll checkout this knife. Is there one brand of knife maker over another that is superior in manufacturing this knife? Man am l curious about this! Nothing like the fun of checking out new gear. This starts my day off on a happy note. Ha ha. My wife and I celebrate pout ten year wedding anniversary tomorrow... do you think I should have one over nighted for her???? Maybe not if I want to see eleven years. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to checking into this!

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
@DBX
Crazy first look, Tom Brown Tracker knives listed from $25.00 - $475.00. That also suggests to me they been around along time. Cheap knock offs to over priced possibly not as good production models. I think I'll wait to get your feed back on good Trackers. After all, who better to get guidance from than the man who uses one himself.

;)