• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you use our have you used a Shemagh?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Thanks Killeroy, man you could have knocked my socks off with that! It was the last thing I expected. You guys are always blowing me away! Thank you!

DBX

Novice Camper
TOPS Knives is the only company that makes THE Tom Brown Tracker. They retail around $250, or so.
There are many other makers of varying quality and price.
David Beck is the original maker and is STILL the epitome of the design! However, his start around $1k, with a multi-year wait list!
I'll dig around and fix up a short list of the ones I know are good blades at reasonable prices.
My suggestion is to go affordable first!
It IS a blade you NEED to learn, or maybe unlearn prior methods of using a knife.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
TOPS Knives is the only company that makes THE Tom Brown Tracker. They retail around $250, or so.
There are many other makers of varying quality and price.
David Beck is the original maker and is STILL the epitome of the design! However, his start around $1k, with a multi-year wait list!
I'll dig around and fix up a short list of the ones I know are good blades at reasonable prices.
My suggestion is to go affordable first!
It IS a blade you NEED to learn, or maybe unlearn prior methods of using a knife.
I've been looking at the Tops Knives. They are very reasonably priced at @ $239 for a number 3 and $275 for a number 1. I do like the looks a great deal. A multifunction knife is worth taking the time to learn. I'll continue to do my research, we'll see what develops. Thanks!

Reactions: DBX

DBX

Novice Camper
The TOPS #3 is the same size as the #2.
The #2 is carbon steel (1095, I think), while the #3 is stainless.
#1 is a rather massive hunk of 1/4" steel, about a foot overall, weighing in at 16 or so ounces. My favorite!
#2 & 3 are somewhat smaller, but still a large knife.
#4 is the smallest with a 4" blade. Handy little sucker! But, for me, the most dangerous! It's easy to forget about the weird angles of the blade and get your meaty parts in the wrong place.
But, Hey! That's why fingers have bones in them, right?... To keep you from, too easily, lopping one completely off![emoji12]

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
#1 is a rather massive hunk of 1/4" steel, about a foot overall, weighing in at 16 or so ounces. My favorite!
#4 is the smallest with a 4" blade. Handy little sucker! But, for me, the most dangerous! It's easy to forget about the weird angles of the blade and get your meaty parts in the wrong place.
But, Hey! That's why fingers have bones in them, right?... To keep you from, too easily, lopping one completely off![emoji12]
I was afraid the #1 might be kind of big and unwheeldly. It sounds like you like the #1 can you tell me more about your experiences and likes and dislikes with it?

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
If I need to relearn knife skills, I would like to do it with the most beneficial tool. They are very unusual and never have seen one or held one, I sure could use your input.

rz3300

Explorer
Well before reading this and seeing a picture I really had no idea what it was, but now I think that maybe I actually have. Chances are it was a little different but I now know that I should keep my eye out next time I am in a store like that.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...I have all kinds of hunting/fishing/camping knives - in the drawer. I don't seem to get around to using them much. BUT my old Swiss Army Knife? The simple one? I use it all the time - don't go camping without it.

upload_2017-7-14_21-14-8.jpeg

More than enough for me. It has a tooth pick and mini tweezers too. :)

:bear: Baden Bear here. "So how much do you want to spend on a knife? Really? How often do you think you will be using it? Northern Dancer is a good example. The guy has so much camping stuff he doesn't really know exactly what he's got." ;)

Attachments