• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Greetings from Ontario Canada

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I totally agree on that use of heat way to early. I had to turn on the heat to keep my mom warm. So far only in 65 to 68 degree range, but more cold weather will soon arrive. This week we had some major plumbing problems with leaky drain pipes and a worn out gas water heater. Found the drain pipe problem doing laundry. An old house takes so much up keep. Leaky roof to be fixed and other repairs. UGH!

But in other news fall weather brings beautiful leaves and crisp smelling air. Never had a chance to open and use my tent, hopefully next summer. I would love a copy of that little cookbook, sometime. Liked your quick and easy, and humorous style.

Camping with a native theme sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing! :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'll work on downloading the little cook book.

It has been cold - that miserable kind with wet and chill that seems to go through warm clothing and keeps the body cold. Your situation doesn't help much either; I hope that it will not be too costly for the repairs. We had our share in the spring with a new chimney, a raccoon in the attic, trees down and the like. Home ownership made easy as they say.

I feel badly that you were not able to use the new tent. I think I shared with one of our Camping Babblers that I missed a summer because of a transfer in my work. I didn't even get a weekend in until the following spring.
all I did was drool when people shared their experiences. But...I eventually made up for it - and you will too.
:)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Yes, my time will come. Mom's condition has become worse and leaving her even for a few hours with someone else she becomes very confused. She can be fine and happy one minute and totally lost the next. So I am staying close and doing my best.

Yes, drooling is the word when I read about and see pictures of your camping experiences. The sites look so beautiful and peaceful. Your a lucky guy to have so many different places to camp and share with others. It must be hard to come home at times. :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
A bit...I get that romantic notion occasionally to head off into the wilderness and make my own way. I like to Leave all the urban noise and clutter behind like I've seen on those documentaries. In the last few years I have come to value solitude and become resentful when my space and quiet are invaded by others. I suppose that is why I value the company of my dog. In the evenings he will saunter up an lay his head in my lap. Other times he will just lay beside me and be content for hours. I would be too - sometimes just watching the calm of the water and other times laying on a beach with the sand propped up to provide a place for me to watch the night skies - for hours.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I think I just need more experience; and you are right about the speed. I was fortunate to have the use of an excellent kayak. I sure can pack a whole lot of stuff into a canoe though - I think as much as 700 pounds.
Have you ever put that much in your canoe? I that a kayak is no replacement for a canoe when it comes to making long journeys but I try to avoid filling a canoe up to the brim with gear. It makes it very tiring to paddle and steer.

I have never tried one as I figured I would be dunking myself on a regular basis, or flipping over underwater. So how do you get into a kayak? Very slowly and carefully I am sure. Reese was probably wondering if he needed to jump in and save you. Ha! Ha! :)
Some more skilled kayakers can actually do a 360 flip (aka "Eskimo Roll") intentionally.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I admit that sometimes I scare myself with what I do put into the canoe. I take a good look at the small waves - even the tiny ones and wonder. I haven't had any trouble because I try to be reasonable. Then again...even I have surprise myself as to the gear I bring. The problem occurs when I'm with a colleague - when we haven't sorted out what each should bring and were a bit lackadaisical in our planning. Everybody likes to bring their own stuff and there is always a chance of duplication and multiplication.

The prospector is designed as a tripping canoe and can take bigger loads. Not all canoes are built for heavy duty and I have witnessed a canoe going over when two guys got in. Balance is really important as you might expect - when you see someone putting a steel cooler on top of an already loaded canoe not designed for the same you know that you are going to be entertainment.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
When I went to summer camp when I was younger, they had these large group canoes that could fit 10+ people. Maybe you need one of those to carry all your stuff? Haha

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
When I went to summer camp when I was younger, they had these large group canoes that could fit 10+ people. Maybe you need one of those to carry all your stuff? Haha
Surprising enough I've never been in a war canoe and have admired the precision of a working crew. See...you have given me another idea.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Ah yes, that is what they were called (war canoes). The name escaped me when I was writing that last post.

Do I want to know what your idea is? :nailbiting:

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I tried a kayak this year - perhaps I should be trying a war canoe too. Let me see now...where in the heck am I going to find a war canoe? :( I guess that will part of the challenge and to find a crew too. :)

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Well, paddling one of those things by yourself is possible but obviously much harder since they are more than 5 times the size! If I saw a person soloing a war canoe across the lake I would definitely be impressed haha

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I miss posting for a bit and come back to single-handed war canoe paddling. Next will be old time sailing vessels that took a lot of rowing man power geared together with you paddling and Reese steering. Land-oh as he hits the shore. I can not imagine how one person could paddle a war canoe, but if there is a will then there is a way. :)

turkey in canoe.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Really....really....glad to see you on line.

There is only one place at the moment that I know that I could get into a war canoe. That would be Haliburton Forest. I will keep that in mind for next year. :)

In the mean time - I'm getting ready for winter camping. Our first group attempt will be at Empessa at the end of January. This very day I was checking our the equipment; especially the chimney and more especially he top. I had a few small burn holes last trip and I want to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Glad to meet you online as well. I stopped in a few nights but was to tired to post. So all your trips this summer were a huge success and now your setting your sights on cold winter camping. That is good, shows your still healthy and happy. What is Empessa? :confused::wacky:

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Empessa is a regional Scout Camp. Our parish scouts will be out then along with the cub scouts. The older lads sleep out in a Adirondacks and I will be in my four season Alaknak with stove and the cub scouts are in bear lodge.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Don't forget your "Bear Bed" remember the cute all attired Alaknak tent. It looked so warm and comfortable. :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'm afraid that it will be rather simple, though, I will have a life size [plywood] bear outside my tent. Just to keep things interesting. The difficulty is that I transport my equipment via sled so I try to keep the load down a bit.

I've been cooking up a few recipes - one pot meals that I leave in the Dutch oven. I cook the meal and just leave the reminder in the oven to freeze until I want to heat it up again.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Now you have got my interest. That is what is nice about cold weather camping, no need to worry about food poison. One pot meals hidden away in a dutch oven is a easy warm-up and less chance of wild animals getting your left overs. It is harder to smell when frozen.
Did you have any new exciting surprise meals during this years canoe trips with your friends?
I love cooking and made some apple dumplings today. They were yummy!

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Come to think of it...we didn't have any gourmet meals this year. The food was excellent but no one thought to do anything special. We must be losing our grip. :( At the end of one trip we ventured into a restaurant called Mushers and delighted ourselves with foods that we didn't have to prepare.

You are right about the outdoor food; there are no creatures in the neighbourhood that pose any kind of a threat. It all depends on the temperature of course. You have to kinda like the one pot dinner idea- even though I have buns and bread sticks. I'm a bit crude, because I eat straight from the oven/pot. There will not be anything new this year - easy chili and steak stew. And then. I'm invited to feed at the lodge - so I'm not short on food and fellowship.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Speaking of the weather are you having normal fall days, or has the northern landscape gotton much cooler of late? Our weather has been fairly good with a show of beautiful colored leaves and some warm days. Nights are a bit nippy. Even thou I did not get to use my tent this year, I feel better just having one on hand. Since part of my focus is on survival just having the basic supplies makes me feel much more ready and comfortable in that knowledge. Do you by any chance store water? If you do how to you prevent mold in the bottles? Our basement is a bit damp and I am concerned about storing items there.

Thanks for listening to this old lady. :) :wacky:o_O