• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The imaginary Meeting Place of Babbling Campers

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Following up on @Dancer's idea of us all meeting together some day, i thought of a fun game. I am providing a camping site complete with a lakeside view. Now we need to decide where it is and everyone needs to bring their camping gear, as well as, things we would need and do on site. This is either a good idea or the dumbest one I have come up with yet. So my fellow Babbler's, care to stop on by and add to this...........
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLiKQxlUPTTznKTsk-ZTGynv9ys-uKaQwulO76b4fcmq5EKemL45rJyFA.jpg
bright idea.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2thm0eJlCijUYI99VAQg-VPvA-zzTgwYvb4qGZtiCyxLZeZh6.jpg
upload_2015-1-27_21-4-43.jpeg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
With everything loaded on my back I am beginning a hike to an unknown destination. :singing::joyful::thumbsup::)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEQEcLWeeMDepvbXiofsmSWTVkN-vi0oia2ROTsn7s5jLpYfWz0g.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...an unknown destination you say?.... Let me see. [Tilting my hat to one side and lightly scratching just above my right ear.]
What do you think bear?
:bear: Don't ask me, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm a bear or a dog. An...unknown...destination hmm... I'm really in trouble - everyone knows that a man never asks for directions. BUT - lets get equipped anyway and follow closely and see where 2sweed if off to.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRane-9YqbErd_n53wRpqHk_UzXaeO7Q6dpA-I7cSFUfYuTbFFwEw.jpg
Is it in the State you live?

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Well I am off looking for a place we can all meet at and I don't know where that is?? We got folks from the United states and Canada, Germany and the UK, and many more places. I could be gone for days at a time. First off I thought I would map out a route. leaving Pennsylvania and heading west.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtefMYISCMTuYI0hSOoNHwgG1ZyhpBvJ0-iz25jjvG16Pi8W-b.jpg
But it is getting late so I better make camp. Where do you all want to meet up? In the wilderness spot or in a busy campground? Hey, I think I am being followed, it's a a man and a :bear:, or is it a
=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.picgifs.com%2Fmini-graphics%2Fmini-graphics%2Fdogs%2Fmini-graphics-dogs-897859.gif
?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...my pack might not be big enough. Then I can always stop along the way and fill it up. That's quite the map you have laid out there.

MacGyver

Survivalist
First off I thought I would map out a route. leaving Pennsylvania and heading west.
I can't really tell because of the size of the picture. but it looks like you'll be heading right through, or at least close to, the place we do most of our camping out in western Maryland. Yell when you get into Maryland and I'll try to meet you.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Got my tent set up, just in time it's getting dark.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZPLkPJGwjg6pr_iKw8gIH9ZRetn3AYz1NmPNQ_mOIZQ5va6LqyQ.jpg
Supper is almost ready,
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfcPprrmdIvGA61FzozzGZeBpS5TfoFwakQxGG86gOPQ1Jw9TScw.jpg
but does not smell as good as that Yukon Stew odor on the breeze. :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...I get really tired when I'm lost - which seems to be most of the time.

Yawn....I just think I'll camp out here for the night.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtoUSikhA3uTeLzNAeAlFK290AH1RqZaKA9P8k2j0XOuoCfV7CGA.jpg

I sure hope there is some kind of room, I mean tent service in the morning. I missed supper and bacon and eggs in the morning smells mighty fine when you're waking up. Where are we anyway?

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Made a pot of coffee and lots of bacon and eggs. A friendly black lab came to share my breakfast with me. Would have shared with his master had he come over too, but guess he wasn't up yet. I think @ MacGyver, lives around here somewhere's. I hope he gets the message and joins me on this journey. Maybe he can read this darn map better than I can. Hard to tell which direction I am going.
pointers1.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...I wondered why Reese turned up his nose at his regular gruel...I even splattered it with bacon grease. I heard some whispers in the trees last nigh, sounded like a guy, kinda had an American accent, must have been tall; anyway he didn't stay long. I didn't bother to check it out either.

I'm packed up, washed up, fed up and ready to pursue the unknown trail. I can only speculate where I will be going today.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As you can tell my map was terrible, made no sense at all. so i bought a new map and now my compass and I are no longer spinning in big circles. This map is easy to follow and all downhill by the looks of it. Since I was near the Maryland line decided to follow the main trail that leads south then branch off out west at some point. gosh, i am glad this is imaginary trip, cause I hear we have a blizzard going on at home.

app trail sign.jpg
upload_2015-1-29_15-47-41.jpeg

If your following along here is a great link to a map so you know where I think I am going.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map

Last edited:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
It is night time again, but I got my tent set up early. I think I will stay a day or two, to give @MacGyver, a chance to catch up. I hope others join in along the trail. The woods is quiet and saw a few deer and a bobcat cross the path ahead of me.

path.jpg
upload_2015-1-29_19-34-34.jpeg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
There is a real pretty view looking down the valley from here and I am enjoying this campsite. Last night I cooked myself up a fish I caught in the river. Think i will stay a few more days. I sure wish someone would come meet me on this trail.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBI1vazFuu3hVrWcNIzJc0BySb0QIG62bsy4IF0pBlNhwzH2Vr.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTn4TPMQhoooPLC-6tQLAPbsALVao9foAFcaE2y_XcRTusB00uX.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
It would seem that interest has faded and those we started following have gone back home. Alas, good thing i have a sign to point the way. Either north to Maine or south to Georgia. I am setting out again and hope I do not get lost. This area is very steep and lots of rocks in my path. Wish now I had taken a route up along the Great Lakes or by use of Amtrak. But here I am hiking along looking for the ideal camping and meeting site for babbling campers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRREBpe0rF9KhfVAAr8bnvLwTQq9U72dNmF0c5m_-tctk72qZfO.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I have been laying here in my tent
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIg723dxLT5rFPJtxEEoijF7hSNB3ArA3ZfMJUirVGnOTdinZgdQ.jpg
thinking about counting sheep, but my mind is on rocks. To be more exact, the many uses rocks while camping. The first one is of course around the camp fire. upload_2015-2-5_19-18-46.jpeg The next is for cooking, using a flat rock.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw9eAs1zamoFFo8Vs8I20ju5SvYhcyHWzFb79zupiELMxb159jYA.jpg
And of course for keeping warm by reflecting the fire off a overhanging rock face. And then of course is the handy big rock for doing away with a snake that wanders into your campsite.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnQnUlIk9kUM2_ilO182Jw8Qo6iO1r3u4VdDwgUmEzV4Z8Ge2nrQ.jpg
And YAWN the next is of course is...........................
upload_2015-2-5_19-43-51.png

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As I pack up my gear to hit the trail again I wanted to mention some information I have received from other hikers on this trail. Seems everyone I meet is headed in the Maine direction, which is uphill and I of course am headed downhill toward Georgia. That said many talked about the restocking of supplies, including the best stores and towns, and of course the mail drops. Mail drops, I inquired?? O" yes, on this trail it is a good idea to send yourself packages of food or other supplies you will or might need on the trip. In the long run it is cheaper as many town stores along this trail have higher than the norm prices due to the hikers and tourist trade.

So I am including some links that will give someone hiking the Appalachian Trail some much needed information, and to those planning other long distance hikes some ideas on their own restocking.
http://mymeanderingtrail.com/2013/11/05/a-paper-trail-worth-of-mail-drops-and-daily-hiking-mileage/
http://planetanimals.com/logue/resupply.html
https://backpackingvegan.wordpress.com/resupply-guide/
http://www.laughingdog.com/p/mail-drops.html

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
So, are you saying that Amazon will not deliver to me if I am out on the trail somewhere ? My new tent and warmer camping gear might not reach me out here ? This is a serious thing, and I am glad to have the information of some companies that are designed for campers.
I think that heading for Georgia sounds like a much better idea than going to Maine, 2Sweed !
From what Dancer has been saying, they are getting some pretty cold weather up north. Not that it is warm even here, mind you; but at least we don't have snow.
I will check out the lakes around here and see if there are some good campgrounds where we can stay on the way to Georgia.
Also, it is pretty brushy where I am right now, but I AM looking for you; so maybe we will run into each other on the trail. It would be awful if we miss, and I end up in Maine with all of the snow !
image.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Opps...I've gotten so caught up with the camping scene I've forgotten what I'm suppose to be doing.

I saw Kevin Callan back a piece and he was startled when I said, Hi." "Do I know you?" "No," I said, "But I have attended some of your presentations."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWfNLodmCecs69nc1512Hz3FFj4gJT5R2eZfOihGbEt6LlwYCF.jpg

I need to keep moving on and see if I can get caught up to you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST38yrB8Y3tWI6RtyeOEVYkMBJ_fYYbgEXZbyVoULCjD2KL8Jm4Q.jpg

But before I head out I've got to get warm. My tent stove can send temperatures up to 90 degrees in a short period of time. In fact the last time I was out I slept on top of my bunk for most of the night. My hot water tank provides all the hot water I need. I can also cook great meals.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMkQpv21MkdHZppaqqYzdY-cdMHlmaAPYLBnq-XrjflWZ0M9cJ.jpg

Aw...breakfast...the first great meal of the day. Get this under my belt and I'm off.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As I was following the trail up the valley I thought I saw someone on the hillside across the valley. I gave out a loud shout "Hello @Happyflowerlady," and was dismayed when my voice echoed and bounced, up and down the valley. Far off to the north I heard someone singing "If your happy and you know it clap your hands."
I groaned and continued down the trail thinking about that section of trail with all its loose rocks and thick brush. I decided to step off the trail and set up camp, and put up an arrow sign so @happyflowerlady, could find me. The sign read HAPPY 2 SWEED YOU! I knew she would be happy to sit down and have some coffee or something good to eat after she arrived.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1YaFTxz-_2DlOxdzNP3ELP9I3Ek2Da76--3vEXbBykrjV1K6p.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-hEcYMLsfhvz8tnntz7IIg6_5bA6CPdPzDL-bZq6FIK1zuSlO.jpg

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
I must have taken the wrong turn somewhere along the line. I think that maybe it was because of all of the echoes coming back and forth and I just could not tell where the voice was coming from that kept calling me. However, I think that I might have found the perfect place for us all to meet up!!

It is a very private campgrond and has totally unique little "camping cabins", and it is right along side of a river for fishing and swimming, and a great place for canoeing. Probably Dancer can just canoe down here with Reese and stop when he gets to the campground.

MacGyver has that Green Pickle, and with those big motors, he might even make it down the river to the campground ahead of everyone. It might be a little further for Erik since he would have to canoe the long way around; but we will be sure to have the coffee ready when the guys get here, @2sweed. Here is a picture of the campground, and our private little area. I am sure that you will agree that we would have to look a long ways to find another one like it!!

image.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...that's it @happyflowerlady - I've been travelling north. Daw... :banghead: you think that I would have gotten that message with all the snow that I've been battling - and more tonight. That's why I saw Kevin on the trail too. There has to be a warmer spot and I know exactly what trail that I should be taking. Not north, yah say? - right on - I've got to go south. :)

:bear: Don't be anxious or worried about Northern Dancer...he is always lost. Why I remember....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmZrjSomJ8FJvkkWVJJC1GsAexAZtOqnGNYRoqaYb1faQauOvmsA.jpg
A bit more than I bargained for.