• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The imaginary Meeting Place of Babbling Campers

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As you know I started out and was making good time and then that old winter weather slowed me down then stopped me in my tracks. Oh but the adventures I had experienced and the video's I shared could not be stopped and then not continue. So I am off in a new direction hoping to find that special meeting place for all us babbling campers and to add some new thrills and chills along the way.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I'm packing my pack. I wonder where we will meet up? I do have to stop for fuel before I leave town but shouldn't be too far behind you then.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Wonderful the chance of a traveling companion (@Bibsoutdoors), to brave the wilds of the North Country Trail with me. I am sure this time we will find a great camping and meeting place for all us babbling campers to get together. I am all packed up and my dog is ready to venture out on the trail. I took a short trip out to the trail where it runs through the Allegheny National Forest and met a man who has traveled the trails entire length starting in New York State. He shared his video of all the things he saw on the trail. This will give you all an idea of the beauty of the northern woodlands and wild creatures, we may encounter on this trail.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
2e2d727d-8afc-4a17-a1fc-31962f2b8792.jpg

Bibs is hitching a ride with this old Parnassus on wheels to meet up with 2sweed. This could take awhile, he stops at farms and small towns everywhere. But I'm optimistic we'll meet up with 2sweed before Autumn. Well got to go, he's ready to pack up and head down the road. I'll give progress reports as we go. Cheers for now mates.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
View attachment 2455

Bibs is hitching a ride with this old Parnassus on wheels to meet up with 2sweed. This could take awhile, he stops at farms and small towns everywhere. But I'm optimistic we'll meet up with 2sweed before Autumn. Well got to go, he's ready to pack up and head down the road. I'll give progress reports as we go. Cheers for now mates.
UPDATE:

This is proving to be very tedious and slow. A wonderful distraction at some other time. I'm contemplating a different mode of transportation. We are about half way through Michigan and I'm beginning to feel a sense of urgency. Will update again later.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
My companion on the parnassus is a very good tempered red headed Irishman. Roger Mifflin is his name and he is a literary wonder. He can size up a man or woman in the blink of an eye and be able to tell just what kind of books should be in your home. He isn't a snob by any means either, if your asking for a piece of literature that is beyond your understanding he will refuse the sale and point you in the proper way so as to give you the necessary foundation preceding your request. As I alluded to earlier he is good natured and ever so talkative. But don't be deceived, those thick forearms can and will set straight an injustice. The parnassus itself is a wonder. Everything needed to support a modest way of life is there. Why you'll find anything you might need in this drawer or that specially fixed up location. Not an inch of space has gone unused and it is set up most handily. Enough, as I said before, if there wasn't some urgency in keeping my word with 2sweed, I would be most happily content riding along listening to his fascinating stories. Besides, any one who can pull over at any location to spend a night, setting up a hammock under his truck to sleep outside on nice nights, must have some good in him.

Now, back to the problem in hand.

We have driven into Ohio, and I know someone at
012716_base_impact_1.jpeg

I think he will be able to help me out.

I say a special farewell to Mr. Mifflin and thank him for his many acts of kindness and I'm off.

Backpack in hand, my friend waits for me at the gate. He waves off the security and takes me into his office chatting along the way about the many international situations, at least in as much as he is allowed to talk about. We catch up with a small glass of well aged whiskey while preparations are being made for my "ride."

Finally, there is a knock on the door, some hushed conversations as my host is informed, all is ready.

A short walk, and there it is, my ride. Oh, she is loud and some what intimidating to look at and think of what lies ahead with her. Handshakes and a slap on the shoulder and I'm in and strapped down.

Soon I'm approached by two young men and taken into hand as they fit me out with my riding gear. It won't be long now and I'll be at the trailhead beginning another journey.

I'm told to stand third in a line of many and get myself ready we are only minutes out from a green light. Soon, as promised we have a green light and I hear a very commanding, "Go, Go, Go..."and I'm off.
9dcdf4f8-1252-4c1a-8b6b-cd148b7ef3f2.gif

I'll let you know when I make it to the trail head. I'll be there soon 2sweed! Get ready to hike!

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I've landed safely, collected my chute, stopped by a local surplus store and sold off the chute. I'm getting ready to set off for the trail head once this update gets posted. Haven't heard back from 2sweed, I hope she hasn't fallen into a hole! Off I go.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Far from the grave, I am standing at a trail head in the Allegheny National Forest, wondering how far I will hike today. The weather is beautiful with bright sunshine and a bit of breeze to keep me from getting to hot. Since I am headed in a southern direction first I need to look closely at my map so I don't get lost.

w.nationalforests.org%2Fassets%2Fimages%2F_2000x2000_fit_center-center_80%2F7State_nforests_2015.png

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
It seems the first big park I will be heading toward is the Wayne National Park in Ohio. The North-Country trail goes south before it heads north into Michigan. So got to call for my dog who has found something interesting in the under brush and get moving. So now we have a starting point to meet on the trail. Don't give up on me yet @Bibsoutdoors I am still with the living. lol

dog 2.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
My favorite Youtube backpackers have traveled through this park where we are headed. Sometimes it is nice to get a glimpse of an area your headed into as in forewarned and ready for anything. So sit back and watch these young men share their experience of hiking through Wayne National Forest, and enjoy the humor and expect a wide array of scenery and interesting conversations.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As much as I am into adventure as I looked at my map as I sat on a picnic table in Wayne National Forest, I could not see the logic in hiking to the southern tip of Ohio, then turning around and hiking back up the other side of the state to reach the Michigan state line. So I decided to cut across the middle of the state following old back roads and byways to reach Bowling Green, Ohio and slide by Napoleon, Ohio just to see what was there before crossing the border into Michigan.

The weather has been wet and cold to hot and muggy these last few weeks. But the scenery and the people I have met has been lovely. An Ohio quiz on the wildlife I have seen so far in my travels.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As i hiked across Ohio, from the Wayne National forest, I breezed by Bowling Green and Napoleon towns which looked a lot like my hometown in Pennsylvania. Lots of beautiful old buildings and interesting landmarks, not to mention the football teams and collage spirit. There are plenty of video's out there about those areas but I wanted to share something about the natural history of Ohio and leave the man made stuff to you to find on your own. The next park on the trail is the Manistee National Forest area near Lowell, MI, that is where I am headed for now. But in the meantime enjoy learning about the natural rock formations and beautiful countryside by watching this video. Be sure to open your screen for the full effect.

2494-427b92dfe2beb06635446677b9f65ebd.jpg