• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The truth about those deer crossings....

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
This is an actual recording of a lady that called in to an early morning radio talk show, to express her concerns about the danger of deer crossing the roads and especially the freeway where traffic is heavier and faster. She relates how she herself has been involved in accidents with deer, and truly feels that the situation needs to be remedied so both people and deer will be safer. Everyone needs to learn this truth about deer crossings, and if you have already heard it; then hearing it again is good, too.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
This is so funny and sad at the same time. That this woman believed that deer crossing signs were for the deer, not to warn drivers is beyond belief. However, there are many people that fit the dumb or dumber, outlook on life. I watched the second video as well, and although, the radio station made her famous she is still trying to live with the reaction of family and friends. Thanks for sharing this @happyflowerlady it was worth watching. Ha! Ha! :hilarious::oops::):thumbsup:

MacGyver

Survivalist
I was going to go on a major rant here but thought it best to keep it to a minimum. I'll just leave it at this:
It's people like this woman who have helped make me the cynic I am. She and countless others like her make me embarrassed to call myself an American. Our average intelligence is an abomination and an embarrassment in front of the world.

Venting over. I now return you all to your regularly scheduled camping forum, already in progress.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
This is so funny and sad at the same time. That this woman believed that deer crossing signs were for the deer, not to warn drivers is beyond belief. However, there are many people that fit the dumb or dumber, outlook on life. I watched the second video as well, and although, the radio station made her famous she is still trying to live with the reaction of family and friends. Thanks for sharing this @happyflowerlady it was worth watching. Ha! Ha! :hilarious::oops::):thumbsup:
Oh man...really?? How could I be so dumb?????????????????? :banghead:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFjrzS1fSa0mafAKdS8DFB0S5zWZI-3EOXGQmv21iZCb8y83Vurg.jpg
Ya...I did...actually.:(

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
Back home deer would cross the roads all the time. Especially at night, which is dangerous. We all know that the headlights of your car will blind the deer. So if they running across the road, pitch dark, and headlights blazing, you will get into a accident. I had my SUV bumper trashed because I hit one in the middle of the night.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Back home deer would cross the roads all the time. Especially at night, which is dangerous. We all know that the headlights of your car will blind the deer. So if they running across the road, pitch dark, and headlights blazing, you will get into a accident. I had my SUV bumper trashed because I hit one in the middle of the night.
Ouch! That's a bummer.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Yes it was. It cost me $500 bucks to replace the bumper and front spoiler. I was so pissed I ran back to the deer and gave it a few kicks just to vent my frustrations.
With that nice smile you have it's almost hard to believe that you have a temper. o_O

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I was going to go on a major rant here but thought it best to keep it to a minimum. I'll just leave it at this:
It's people like this woman who have helped make me the cynic I am. She and countless others like her make me embarrassed to call myself an American. Our average intelligence is an abomination and an embarrassment in front of the world.

Venting over. I now return you all to your regularly scheduled camping forum, already in progress.
I know what you mean, it seems whenever you come across an opinion poll there is always a significant portion who hold some insane view, no matter what it is. My theory is that it is all the same people (like the woman who called in). I've been to America many times though and the people I've encountered are not much different than here.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
And those fake, fake landing on the moon pictures and of course the Roswell New Mexico headlines. How can you not believe in deer crossing signs for deer??
upload_2015-3-20_21-49-16.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRabfmpfN8QUQvz7p2RFVDzUkCEraV2DVmohXe48ukjulf5KVec1g.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNdQ4mQoZ_oZCQcKIjffT6XPucExlLhsmedvJArYRCUE5mit_62Q.jpg

actadh

Explorer
My husband and I were going 70mph on the interstate and hit a deer. Totaled a Ford Focus. That was my last small car purchase :)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Then there is the hollow earth idea that was thought up by a man named John Symmes, a captain in the US army during the War of 1812, who believed the earth had a shell on it 800 miles thick and that instead of looking up and out into space, at the stars and other planets, we are actually looking into the center of the earth.
It had openings at each magnetic pole and several inner shells that made up a series of concentric spheres, upon each of which people and animals lived.
holle_aarde_artistiek.jpg

campforums

Founder
Staff member
My husband and I were going 70mph on the interstate and hit a deer. Totaled a Ford Focus. That was my last small car purchase :)
Wow, were you all right? 70 mph into a deer is quite a collision, I hope nobody was seriously injured. Well obviously the deer was :(

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Then there is the hollow earth idea that was thought up by a man named John Symmes, a captain in the US army during the War of 1812, who believed the earth had a shell on it 800 miles thick and that instead of looking up and out into space, at the stars and other planets, we are actually looking into the center of the earth.
It had openings at each magnetic pole and several inner shells that made up a series of concentric spheres, upon each of which people and animals lived.
View attachment 1284
There are still some people who believe things like this unfortunately haha

BMWPOWER

Staff member
hahaha, I remember seeing this. Shes obviously right, what if we take out the signs and they wont cross the road all together?

Now where is my cookie

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwi-tAKTsgai3ROoeeO_Rjv52_5SLaHSk-lNFsywFeXq8dUr0WVw.jpg