• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Tight or loose clothes

Jason

What kind of clothes you like to wear, whether a tight clothes which shows your asset or a loose one.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I think when you're doing something where there is a lot of other things around you (like walking through a forest) then loose clothes can be liable to catching on nearby branches and tearing. The same holds true for anything really where you don't want to have to worry about your clothes catching.

Is fit clothing an option? I don't like being baggy because as mentioned above, although things can be carried, it can get caught. With tight, it is usually less comfortable. Therefore I conclude medium fit clothing is best for me.

Faust

Explorer
Depends on the locale, weather and your needs.

If it's mid summer in the badlands, baggy shorts and a tighter wicking t-shirt (my preference when I can). Early spring in the mountains I sport 2 layers. Tight wicking (think of thermal underwear) base layer and looser 2nd layer, usually a long sleeve and baggy trousers with a jacket or hoodie near by. Winter, 4 layers. layer 1 is tight while 2 is snugger, 3 and 4 are baggy to trap the warmer air near my body.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
I think that what you should wear camping depends on what the weather is like, and where you expect to be going. I usually only camp in nice summer weather, since I am not a hunter, or someone who would likely be out in the woods in the colder weather over night. I think that jeans is almost always a good choice, and not so tight as to be uncomfortable, but certainly they do not need to be baggy either.

Bringing along a pair of cutoffs is an excellent idea of you are going to go to a lake where you can also swim, which is something that I always liked to do when possible. Even if you are not going to be swimming, just having a pair of cutoffs is comfortable in warm weather.

I usually slept in my jeans and shirt at night, so having clothes that fit loosely is a lot nicer to sleep in than tight jeans would be. Also, you do not want to be bending over to do something and have them split out. That will seriously spoil the camping trip, especially when there is a group of people camping, like on a trail ride and campout.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Bringing along a pair of cutoffs is an excellent idea of you are going to go to a lake where you can also swim, which is something that I always liked to do when possible. Even if you are not going to be swimming, just having a pair of cutoffs is comfortable in warm weather.
Are you talking about those types of pants which have zippers around the lower half which you can remove? I don't think I've owned a pair of those since I was a kid but I guess they might come in handy when camping. Generally though, I will just change if I feel that I need pants and I'm wearing shorts or vice-versa.

I usually slept in my jeans and shirt at night, so having clothes that fit loosely is a lot nicer to sleep in than tight jeans would be. Also, you do not want to be bending over to do something and have them split out. That will seriously spoil the camping trip, especially when there is a group of people camping, like on a trail ride and campout.
Really? That sounds really uncomfortable, I almost never sleep in my jeans (and they aren't tight either) unless I have just come home and I'm exhausted after a long day and forget to change and fall asleep on the couch. When I am camping I will usually wear sweatpants or PJ bottoms and a T-shirt to sleep in. I don't normally wear less than that because there are usually bugs around and it can get cool at night so I prefer to keep a shirt and pants on.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
@campforums, cutoffs are not those pants that unzip to become a pair of shorts. I think that is an awesome idea, but the cutoffs that I am talking about are actually a pair of old jeans that you cut down to shorts, and then fray the bottom, so there are little fringes along the edge. We have always done this with old jeans; but after the television show "Dukes of Hazard", and seeing Daisy Duke in her little cutoffs, even jeans that weren't worn out got the legs cut off and made into shorts. They are awesome to wear if you are out at the lake because you can swim in them, they dry fast afterwards, and you will get a good suntan when you are out there fishing.

Of course, if mosquitoes are bad there, then cutoffs are totally out of the question!! Then you have to be sure to wear jeans all the time. Sleeping in jeans is actually NOT comfortable at all, and sweatpants would have been a lot better choice. We wear sweatpants for so many things nowadays, it is hard to remember that there was actually a time when people wore jeans year around, and didn't have sweatpants. When I was growing up back in the 1950's, I don't even remember seeing anyone in sweatpants, let alone wearing a pair myself. (maybe that was just an Idaho thing?) So we wore jeans for everything. When you went camping out; you either slept in your underwear or your clothes; and since I didn't want to have to run away from a growling bear in my undies, I wore the jeans in the sleeping bag.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
@campforums, cutoffs are not those pants that unzip to become a pair of shorts. I think that is an awesome idea, but the cutoffs that I am talking about are actually a pair of old jeans that you cut down to shorts, and then fray the bottom, so there are little fringes along the edge. We have always done this with old jeans; but after the television show "Dukes of Hazard", and seeing Daisy Duke in her little cutoffs, even jeans that weren't worn out got the legs cut off and made into shorts. They are awesome to wear if you are out at the lake because you can swim in them, they dry fast afterwards, and you will get a good suntan when you are out there fishing.
Oh, I know what you mean. I think you are right that they have really increased in popularity. You can buy denim shorts that have frayed edges though if you run out of old jeans to cut. I would guess that they would probably be cheaper and fit nicer than a full length pair of jeans would especially if you already plan in advance to cut the bottom half off. Are you sure about drying fast though? Jeans/denim dries awfully slow in my opinion compared to swimsuit material or athletic shorts which are much lighter weight.

Of course, if mosquitoes are bad there, then cutoffs are totally out of the question!! Then you have to be sure to wear jeans all the time. Sleeping in jeans is actually NOT comfortable at all, and sweatpants would have been a lot better choice. We wear sweatpants for so many things nowadays, it is hard to remember that there was actually a time when people wore jeans year around, and didn't have sweatpants. When I was growing up back in the 1950's, I don't even remember seeing anyone in sweatpants, let alone wearing a pair myself. (maybe that was just an Idaho thing?) So we wore jeans for everything. When you went camping out; you either slept in your underwear or your clothes; and since I didn't want to have to run away from a growling bear in my undies, I wore the jeans in the sleeping bag.
Hmm, I suppose that makes sense if you are a bit shy to what people see you in :oops: but I was never really worried about running from bears...
Hasn't happened yet! :happy:

kevinkimers

Novice Camper
I prefer clothes that fit. Loose clothing catch on things and tight clothing restrict blood flow and less protection. If you clothes fit you right then it lessens the problems of both.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
You are right - it needs to fit. AND - I simply do not wear jeans ever - there isn't much to say about their value in a camping environment and never while winter camping. And besides that, there is a whole industry dedicated to the outdoor life style - from the sublime to the ridiculous.

I want something that is versatile, washes easily, dries quickly, and looks good and sylish. If I'm into wash one/wear one I prefer the pants with the zip off legs. I tend to buy the best socks.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
You are right - it needs to fit. AND - I simply do not wear jeans ever - there isn't much to say about their value in a camping environment and never while winter camping. And besides that, there is a whole industry dedicated to the outdoor life style - from the sublime to the ridiculous.

I want something that is versatile, washes easily, dries quickly, and looks good and sylish. If I'm into wash one/wear one I prefer the pants with the zip off legs. I tend to buy the best socks.
I tend to buy the cheapest socks, haha. Although I recently splurged on 2 pairs of calf-high wool socks for $20, but even those were on the cheaper end of the other winter socks the store had. I can't believe you never wear jeans, it seems that they are the go to pants for almost everyone, including me.

The Blacksmith

Novice Camper
Tight clothing can feel very constricting to me, but I'm the kind of person who will go barefoot as much as possible. My camping clothing usually consists of cargo shorts and a hoodie (if its cold or rainy).
I've thought about making a pair of loose fitting leather shorts for everyday wear.
Although, if I'm doing some winter camping, my first layer is tight clothing and then gets progressively baggier as I add more.

Joseph Hadnett

Novice Camper
I never know what to wear when going through bog. You might have to go from bog to walking through streams to climbing up loose stone all within five minutes and it will probably rain too but you will still be too hot and that before you even think about the wind! I love Ireland :D

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I don't mind so much the clothing being tight, but usually I go camping when it is pretty hot out (in the summer) and I like clothing that is cool and unconstraining and keeps the bugs away.

CherylTorrie

Novice Camper
I like camping clothes that fit correctly but I do also like to layer my clothes so I usually have average fit clothes and top layer clothes. Typically, the top layer clothes are somewhat larger but not baggie enough to be irritating. My biggest problem is length, not fit. Why does it seem like all camping and outdoor clothes are made for giants? Is it because I'm short? LOL I'm handy with a sewing needle but I wish I could find slacks that didn't require me to be.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
"Tight" or "Loose" clothing?
I expect my clothes to be sober at all times
and set an appropriate example
when it comes to morality!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS2Ec4GGL6g6yfMs9J21DnqllxzKK7nf69Al5fUyWLhoYitsPx.jpg

mett1982

Novice Camper
I like to wear clothes that make me feel comfortable. I don't what to worry about dealing with something that is making me feel awful the entire time that I am outdoors. I always tend to wear layer. It's better to able to take off clothes and put them back on then to not have the right amount of clothes. But it all depends on what you think is comfortable. Some people would rather hike in tighter clothes than baggy ones. I prefer looser fitting clothes versus tight.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
For those of us who are serious
camperists,
canoeists,
bicyclists,
kayakingists,
backpackerists,
hikerists,

mountain climberists,
or any other "ists"
quickly learn to wear proper clothing