• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

"Wanna" see YOUR magnificent trails...

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I'd like to hear more about magnificent trails from around the world - Europe, the United States, how 'bout England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland...maybe China? Come on now...you have bragging rights! :)

One of the great trails in my neck of the woods is the Bruce Trail.

dg08qv.jpg
1572hl5.jpg
imq6w7.jpg

The trail follows the edge of the Niagara Escarpment,
one of the thirteen UNESCO World Biosphere Reserves in Canada, for almost 900 km [560 miles].
The land the trail traverses is owned by the Government of the Province of Ontario, local municipalities, local conservation authorities, private land owners and the Bruce Trail Conservancy. [BTC]
Now that's what I call co-operation!

2qlbj7n.jpg
s1mhlf.jpg
2r6eeqv.jpg
11l5xmu.jpg

Come on now...it's your turn.

Photographs are that of BTC and there are a whole lot more. Check it out - Bruce Trail;)

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
Munro trail was named after George Munro. He was the ranch manager for the island in the 1890s. The island was very dry as you can see in some of the pictures. To remedy this problem he took his mule and rode up the ridged of the mountain and planted Norfolk Pine Trees along the way. Each full grown tree is capable of absorbing 60 gallons of water a day out of the atmosphere. Today on the island of Lanai, there are thousands of these trees in the upland areas which supplies the island with an abundance of water for the residents.

Other cities around the world should take note of this and maybe decide to follow his methods. Here's some pictures of norfolk pine trees that are over 50 years old.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC-ElFR5xHEIJqlhDAhaeEKimX9C6OcGEFE0dm4gHGViLHCIPL.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmdkJTjClISGOWQ3R4h35Hdf2n3pRZ-xTskUcrFp6pufHD5Fsa0w.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxTGpPqO3_a-F-ieaBRq5-areCyLV2SvRd0yjTIF9_lgjGw59mbQ.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I always think of pine trees as being natural to this country in particular and of course they are not.

2p6z4.jpg

British Columbia

2yjve5x.jpg

Banff Alberta

fcnp6h.jpg

Yukon Territory

160armw.jpg

Yukon Bear

Last edited:

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
That's frickin beautiful!!! I don't know about the bear. I would feel weird sleeping in bear territory. I can handle a axis deer, but bear can eat you.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
We don't have a lot of wildlife that hurt you - there are some snakes but grizzlies have a reputation and it is best to know their habits and embrace the safety rules.

I camp in black bear country and though, surprising enough, we didn't have a one bear come into camp we had four last year. They can be dangerous too if you don't know what you are doing.

1zb8bpc.jpg
Photo from the net
ly6ab.jpg

This is my photo of a moose taken just a short distance from base camp. Magnificent creatures - the biggest land animal in the nation [though a polar bear can get mighty big].

Last edited:

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Here is a warning sign to one of the trails that I have hiked [in part] in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. And a bear warning too...

11c5cw4.jpg
ajky9c.jpg

campforums

Founder
Staff member
We don't have a lot of wildlife that hurt you
Yeah exactly, this isn't Australia or something o_O

Honestly I would really love to go camping in some more exotic locations. The thing is that when I usually go to far away places I try to get in as many sites as I can because I am usually not there for long. One day I will have to make time though.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Yeah exactly, this isn't Australia or something o_O

Honestly I would really love to go camping in some more exotic locations. The thing is that when I usually go to far away places I try to get in as many sites as I can because I am usually not there for long. One day I will have to make time though.
You can do just about anything... Get rid of the idea - someday! IF YOU PLAN...and plan well. Take this country for instance. Fabulous, magical, mysterious, awe inspiriting and a place for those of us who embrace whatever our outdoor style beckons. You know something? I've been embarrassed to learn that we have exotic places right here in our own backyard. I know, because camping tourists that I met in Algonquin Park have told me so.

Sort of like Niagara Falls - common to us; excitement to world travellers who see it for the first time.

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
OMG!!! I want to see a moose so bad. I heard stories on how big those things can get. Bigger than a horse.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
OMG!!! I want to see a moose so bad. I heard stories on how big those things can get. Bigger than a horse.
Yes they are bigger than a horse when fully grown. But strange enough they are gentle creatures too. I've been as close as 10 feet to one - he came through my camp site. You can see a lot of them in our Algonquin Provincial Park especially at the end of April and into May.

The following picture I took mid May - you can see that the winter had done a number on this poor creature who was famished.

2i9nwk3.jpg

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Yeah, that is why it can be so dangerous when one of them crosses the road. Many people have been killed by hitting a moose with their car because basically what happens is the car hits its legs and the heavy and massive torso of the moose goes right through the windshield and squashes those inside.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Kinda ugly thought but true! :nailbiting: There are places in the country where warning signs are posted. [As well as others.] In this instance a warning has been posted for moose and deer.

2608i6t.jpg

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I've been as close as 10 feet to one - he came through my camp site.
Hmm, makes me wonder why moose never caught on as work animals the way horses did. Can you imagine moose being used to plow fields or ridden into battle?

The following picture I took mid May - you can see that the winter had done a number on this poor creature who was famished.
True... I can see his bones sticking out and everything.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I spend a lot of summer time in this place -

Algonquin Park is often referred to as the Gem of the Ontario Parks system. Ontario's oldest and largest provincial park was established in 1893.

Algonquin Park is almost 8000 square kilometres [about 4,00 square miles] of lakes, streams, rivers, bogs, forests in the rugged Canadian Shield. Home to abundant wildlife, the parks most famous residents include moose, wolves and black bears. Many smaller mammals including playful river otters, foxes, chipmunks, squirrels and raccoons and a wide variety of waterfowl including osprey, herons, and loons are often seen by park visitors. Canoeing is the best way to navigate Algonquin Park with over 1500 km [approximately 1,000 miles] of canoe routes that follow lakes, streams and portage trails throughout the park’s interior There are hiking/camping trails ranging from 8 to 88 kilometres in length.

Now for the show -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPECwVZvSV89k5voQlMtJdyA3o_7KMvVlhF29f8w9HBnT60y73.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg02zJxmcmRP9-18hbN5PMEWJc_hx0R5si6l1moeU-_nYBj0lx4g.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6V80hYsQlaOPt5V2RQz1NlStV0SqDO3kEqGg-0GihDobVdJrwAA.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7V71kqJyQ8UOrtPSGrIjgIGlFdb3pJhbc41iZf7ODHLk62RUM.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyePr7TH8rFCkWWpDgZeegSZcSzWOb3s-7jBwizBBLckLsE0v6.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-V7FSj9_2_JkeVVwXHk-hIYrFvRrz7_AvO0lN0-DHjO9bzEaM.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9pNsr6ivBE9BPU54pZQ1FMEY8tSPoe38xqkDfThIDRbKojjC4.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoBxWrYWsiT3tJsfEhhk5jPWbu7jxyA5tzrsxL_0ds9udghru0.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBj8v6WiFFRFXCRMdDVUgghLCWGTkDusktg6NUI_ivZm-2SKOc.jpg

upload_2014-11-20_11-49-31.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdQpOUuQ3XG90PcGhBSqhLKCYb3Ji-O_AYbflJl6WZZefQ8M1I.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuepnIQG5nBFpclULSjpHVByiHI2dAvJ8PiekKrvoKeGIhkl6q.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRD2rdT0Xzka1h_fhB9ucWuLPupUKIVVQ9c9NbngIW8zmzq5I7Vew.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYvcRYJG4apOjXw3IpFc5kd83katdjRvYbh5cayF7ZioksFmTG.jpg
I love it...

I'm looking forward to learn about your neck of the woods! :)

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...how bout this?

upload_2014-11-20_19-42-22.jpeg
upload_2014-11-20_19-42-40.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWeBSX6jgNm0iT8EPE-D8AbQq_mqhV7oNJAUHxZk7tqdN-vN1o.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVVcmIty8xasDZ36oN4rtcg3bFmPP_1mR5gnQhbKJBJrKc9aI1ig.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2132_UC3VdmCPXxsYq6oSqhGRmH14fOmQi7VE1cCShLId8AvPUg.jpg

Walk in the Clouds Canopy is suspended 20-meters above the forest floor in the treetops on a catwalk structure, surrounded by massive, 200-year-old White Pine trees. The catwalk is made of 25 cm-wide Hemlock planks suspended between steel cables in a sling of nylon cords. At 500 meters in length, the walk in the tree tops is the only one of its kind in North America.

Check it out - Haliburton Forest is a "multi-use forest", with attractions such as the Haliburton Forest Wolf Centre, a canopy walk as well as the world's only freshwater tour submarine. Haliburton Forest operates recreation, tourism and education programs year-round. Its forestry operations were the first to be certified by the international Forest Stewardship Council in Canada. Haliburton Forest supports ecosystem based research projects, primarily conducted by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Forestry.

Last edited:

campforums

Founder
Staff member
So many animals!!

That catwalk structure alone makes me want to go an visit. That is unreal, I assume you've been? Do you know how far along the structure goes? It is in Ontario too, so exciting :)

JoshPosh

Pathfinder
...how bout this?

View attachment 90 View attachment 91
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWeBSX6jgNm0iT8EPE-D8AbQq_mqhV7oNJAUHxZk7tqdN-vN1o.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVVcmIty8xasDZ36oN4rtcg3bFmPP_1mR5gnQhbKJBJrKc9aI1ig.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2132_UC3VdmCPXxsYq6oSqhGRmH14fOmQi7VE1cCShLId8AvPUg.jpg

Walk in the Clouds Canopy is suspended 20-meters above the forest floor in the treetops on a catwalk structure, surrounded by massive, 200-year-old White Pine trees. The catwalk is made of 25 cm-wide Hemlock planks suspended between steel cables in a sling of nylon cords. At 500 meters in length, the walk in the tree tops is the only one of its kind in North America.

Check it out - Haliburton Forest is a "multi-use forest", with attractions such as the Haliburton Forest Wolf Centre, a canopy walk as well as the world's only freshwater tour submarine. Haliburton Forest operates recreation, tourism and education programs year-round. Its forestry operations were the first to be certified by the international Forest Stewardship Council in Canada. Haliburton Forest supports ecosystem based research projects, primarily conducted by the University of Toronto's Faculty of Forestry.
Wow that looks cool. If I was a kid I would love to walk all over this.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
The canopy boardwalk is the ultimate highlight with over a half a kilometer long - and as such the longest of its kind in the world. Platforms suspended from the treetops above, become the gathering place where you can enjoy a leisurely snack while your guide elaborates on the forest environment surrounding you. A spectacular view across the lakes and forests becomes a fitting closure to your tree top tour.
  • Adult: $95 (plus taxes of course)
  • Youth between ages 10 and 17: $70
  • This price includes a visit to the * Wolf Centre. [* I'll talk about this later.]

There are group rates. Pre-registration is required. The minimum age to participate in the tour is 10.
To get to the start of the tour you take a short trip to the site via a war canoe.

Canopy-tour-canoe_660x300.jpg

Don't ya just love this stuff? :) :bear: I'm back again...