• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

"Wanna" see YOUR magnificent trails...

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Somehow I had a hunch that you are a people person involved in some kind of business. And I was absolutely right on when I figured out you cooked and baked beyond the beans and wiener menu.

Your situation reminded me of the story of Colonial Saunders of the Kentucky chicken fame. Do you know the story?
I don't know much about the story other than the recipe is TOP SECRET, I also visited the very first KFC when I was passing through Kentucky one time.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I don't know much about the story other than the recipe is TOP SECRET, I also visited the very first KFC when I was passing through Kentucky one time.
He is really an outstanding man.

According to his 1974 autobiography, before Harland Sanders became a world-famous Colonel, he was a sixth-grade dropout, a farmhand, an army mule-tender, a locomotive fireman, a railroad worker, an aspiring lawyer, an insurance salesman, a ferryboat entrepreneur, a tire salesman, an amateur obstetrician, an (unsuccessful) political candidate, a gas station operator, a motel operator and finally, a restaurateur. At the age of 65, a new interstate highway snatched the traffic away from his Corbin, Ky., restaurant and Sanders was left with nothing but a Social Security check and a secret recipe for fried chicken.

As it turned out, that was all he needed.

Until he was fatally stricken with leukemia in 1980 at the age of 90, the Colonel travelled 250,000 miles a year visiting KFC restaurants around the world. His likeness continues to appear on millions of buckets and on thousands of restaurants in more than 100 countries around the world.

He lived in Mississauga for a number of years.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Thought I would share this map of one of @Dancers, favorite places. This kind of shows us all the ins and outs of the Algonquin Provincial Park.

file.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Behold! An empire of mountains and ice. Here in a vast international preserve, are most of the tallest peaks in North America and the largest ice fields outside the polar caps. Over half the land mass is permanently draped in snow and ice – the remainder fosters forests and tundra and stable populations of eagles, grizzlies and other species often at risk elsewhere.

Kluane National Park and Reserve of Canada

spot2_e.ashx?w=183&as=1.jpg
NatCul%20LGorecki%202342.ashx?w=553&h=188&as=1.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI1CMm-1EJlQufrbSvuQ67KA16aLCrnGxYMB8FKFihlIyykf9e.jpg
upload_2015-2-19_10-11-9.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXKnqxK1X_OGieRaVUzEG3sY2SS5AuvKsmk24CycjuLj8k3NCS.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsfILlwor5BMlgBzPlB302LDeIl6oLE1m6e23cyv-JxRUDiwe-.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSVo-q3sdaFOXW7IZ137fToj-WFkrhvCElgePFc3DMFb2J_Qs.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0iOPDqMqTO0NXmIOraSlGknBI6cI_2QTA6PXLJeHsS1FrxsYXIg.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSknwNRdykwZQLLNYy8F38dV0LkO62dt1P7_ZP6MQw7Sv74d4pTng.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF5fUOsrldDkQgbqdz1yUE-arsaTH36qbN37BbBfotOp0NySkcPQ.jpg
Love it!

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Fantastic - and thank you so much for contributing an article to this space @actadh. We are so lucky [okay...blessed] with an abundance of park lands and wilderness spaces on both sides of the boarder. It is amazing to think that much of Hocking Hills is handicapped accessible.

We owe a great dept to people who sat on committees for what must seemed like for ever to come up with marvellous ideas and suggestions to make things better for the whole community.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjTeG5NJIhDYnaS4Q9aWI00jJ79yHFc59noHssddxW1Wz5j_Kt.jpg

campforums

Founder
Staff member
He is really an outstanding man.

According to his 1974 autobiography, before Harland Sanders became a world-famous Colonel, he was a sixth-grade dropout, a farmhand, an army mule-tender, a locomotive fireman, a railroad worker, an aspiring lawyer, an insurance salesman, a ferryboat entrepreneur, a tire salesman, an amateur obstetrician, an (unsuccessful) political candidate, a gas station operator, a motel operator and finally, a restaurateur. At the age of 65, a new interstate highway snatched the traffic away from his Corbin, Ky., restaurant and Sanders was left with nothing but a Social Security check and a secret recipe for fried chicken.

As it turned out, that was all he needed.

Until he was fatally stricken with leukemia in 1980 at the age of 90, the Colonel travelled 250,000 miles a year visiting KFC restaurants around the world. His likeness continues to appear on millions of buckets and on thousands of restaurants in more than 100 countries around the world.

He lived in Mississauga for a number of years.
Interesting, it sounds like he lived quite the life. I think you have just convinced me to add a book on him to my "To read" list.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Interesting, it sounds like he lived quite the life. I think you have just convinced me to add a book on him to my "To read" list.
I've lived long enough to know there is greatness all around. I use to say to students, "All around us, everywhere, there are heroes, people that we can reach out and touch." "You may be one of them."

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
Trek Newfoundland’s Long Range Traverse
Newfoundland, the Last Province to Join Confederation [1949] and Home of the Labrador Retriever

Locals simply call this Montana-size island of serrated granite 20 miles off the coast of Quebec “The Rock.” And with more than 10,000 miles of craggy coastline and only 12 people per square mile, The Rock, Canada’s easternmost point, is a backpacker’s dream. The best route is the five-day Long Range Traverse in 446,080-acre Gros Morne National Park, where you’ll encounter edge-of-the-world views of coastal fjords (inlets) sparkling between 1,000-foot granite cliffs at every bend.

After a mandatory park orientation, drive 12 miles to the trail head at Western Brook Pond. Load up and walk the easy two-mile trail to the shore of a freshwater fjord (inlet). From here, take an hour-long ferry to the start of the Long Range Traverse, which begins with a 2,000-foot climb that switchbacks straight up from the boat dock. Once above treeline, where harsh, icy winds have scoured the glacier-carved landscape, you’ll feel like you’re walking on the moon.

* Description by Backpacker Magazine

upload_2015-2-24_23-18-40.jpeg
upload_2015-2-24_23-18-59.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBT8H4okuAE-g219aV6xG9e3VdeTjbPPcI3ffk6FH_C4JNm1T_aQ.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPWDzxqTVxAp0z3yAlaHig-qw54HENpWfw0AetHIGF5dPTHyDT5A.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrpM3jQHk_Xk3VgE_0OfZaLvMPrYz7Z7M3kmortNcPXACvNvlm.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVxryiZx2ihsr4P-WNf06BSj3c5kRc1BCnoHLbvDOoRf802q2Q.jpg

campforums

Founder
Staff member
That is a great shot of the moose, I always wonder how the get the to "pose" or turn around and look at the camera without startling them off.

How long is that 5 day long route?

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
That is a great shot of the moose, I always wonder how the get the to "pose" or turn around and look at the camera without startling them off.

How long is that 5 day long route?
:)

Surprisingly enough, moose are very co-operative when it comes to having their picture taken. A zoom lenses of some sort helps. Most frequently they are eating or drinking which slows them down some. They exhibit a horse like whinny if you are getting to close. Often they just trot away from you - and stop to look back to see if you are following.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvw6XEbCfpfwrj5ycevVi61d_f-wu0cHBCGIpfZz3XpVXg4sv5PA.jpg
Finding all this quite amoosing!!

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
HI ALL!

I bet there are some mighty fine trails right in the community where you live. Luv to see em.

This is what the City of Hamilton did with the old "THB" [Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo railroad line 1894 to 1987]. It is a beautiful trail that meanders 9.5 km through the City.

upload_2016-2-26_13-27-34.jpeg
upload_2016-2-26_13-27-53.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2Oak2lf6lo2mp_GTlPKe58B8DxDZEzARSTrQUnpimVboiVRul.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUlkUX4W6cOIKx2wIgcAHGUZCH9be-btGlc5h5Y-KLEwj3gNUIsA.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkliq4gsdBDWk9tq1D6mDQHvdcBcTSC3w33U_Z0V6xtjrEmCVyFA.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFKooH0WdPY2qGSQnIXF4gMyVEWaFPO6rRvrZsnM3Y6ch3nVdQ.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeukSxci8mcRrtAESx9QkQu7UrX9-S2O9YviyFDbYigrZWzd_AsA.jpg
HamiltonOntarioSkylineC.jpg

City of Hamilton from the brow

Go ahead...boast about your community.

@Northern Dancer post about Long Range Traverse, piqued my interest. Starting with no knowledge beyond that shared by @Northern Dancer, I did some research and ended up writing an article about how to do your research when planning a trip to experience an unknown trail. The blog post shares what I uncovered about the Long Range Traverse, how to get topographic maps of Canada for free and more.

Check it out at at the Explore Blog. Here's a pretty descriptive video to get you in the mood:

killeroy154

Survivalist
We like bike riding on the Virginia Creeper Trail. It used to be a rail road that shut down. We drive to the town of Damascus Virginia and a shuttle company takes us and our bikes to the beginning on top of Whitetop Mtn.
uploadfromtaptalk1458595358619.png
We make pretty much a day of it. We ride the 17 miles (27 km) back to Damascus. A person can continue on down to Abington another 16 miles and have a shuttle pick you up to return you to your vehicle.
0d93a81f8b4e71e590477cc35478f596.jpg
07794d92fae95266fd56e938256a7249.jpg
d8998f8a73892a94a2def9694afe6acb.jpg

It isn't all that strenuous, but it is fun and relaxing. I like to imagine the train coming around some cliffs that are realy close, and how it must have been realy puffing the smoke and steam out as it climbed the mountain.