• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Interesting Data Explaining Site Traffic

campforums

Founder
Staff member
I always imagined that a camping site would receive more traffic during camping season but after the surge of traffic the site experienced recently I decided to look a little deeper. This Google Trends data certainly explains a lot but I had no idea the difference would be so dramatic. Take a look for yourselves if you care:

camping_traffic.png

Data courtesy of Google Trends

Last edited:

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
Yep, I see the theme. Do you collect traffic data from competitive sites for a comparison? I have no formal empirical data, so I'm guessing that Camping Babble may be experiencing the wrath of more competition. The quantity of similar sites may have increased substantially since 2005.

I see more shoppers in REI, many campers at the sites, and an increase of hikers on the trails. The KOA Watkins Glen had an area under construction for additional sites two years ago, plus Delaware Water Gap's parking lots tend to be full today, and more trail building and upkeep is noticeable in the nearby communities. Checking the circulation numbers of outdoor magazines may be a good indicator also.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. Basically there is a service called Google Trends where you can type in keywords and compare their relative search engine popularity over time.

Yep, I see the theme. Do you collect traffic data from competitive sites for a comparison? I have no formal empirical data, so I'm guessing that Camping Babble may be experiencing the wrath of more competition. The quantity of similar sites may have increased substantially since 2005.
The graph I posted just shows the number of searches for the term "camping" over time, not this site or any other site in particular. However given the main topic of this site it is probably somewhat of an informative indicator.

You can also put in two different terms and see a comparison, for example: Google Trends

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Ah, that makes things much clearer. Thank you. I wonder, that is info just from Google search? I use to use it, I never use it now, (Google search engine), I use Duck Duck, they aren't as invasive with my information and so free wheeling with it either. Not that what I do makes any difference, unless after the last revelation more people have dumped Google search?!

But people have always been trendy. In the 90's cigar smoking was a hot topic, today almost zero. I'll bet there charts were much the same with high peeks dropping down to nothing by the end of the 90's. Just an example. You hate to see an interest in camping wane, but on the other hand, maybe the litter and garbage will slow down out there. Ha ha. Just kidding. I would imagine anyone with a vested interest hates to see the dip. Until the next spike.

When I was a kid people camped because it was basically the only thing poor people could afford to do. (Low spike) Then it became very fashionable to spend thousands of dollars to go out and 'act'poor. (High spike) Then dirt biking became popular, followed by bike camping. (Higher spike) Renewed interest in mother earth, hiking and camping too another jump. Now we are in the lazy children stage, where I believe someone (one of the moderators) said he blamed electronics....Hard to argue with him on that.

Then there's always the solid chance I'm full of[emoji243] [emoji90] ........so I'll end my dissertation........

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154

Survivalist
I tend to agree with BMWPOWER. And in addition to that I feel corporations share some of the blame, I will explain. My father always worked in some type of manufacturing company until he retired about 20 years ago. Used to people didn't work so much excessive overtime as we do now. I was in a management position before 09, and I saw it coming. Once the economy slowed in this country during 2008, corporations found that it was more economical (or in other words, increase their share holders profits) to run a department with as few people as possible. For example, my department has 3 people per 8 hour shift. Everything runs good and their profits are up. If all 9 of us are off for a 2 day weekend, the electric is still on to the equipment. Machinery with hydraulic units stay running because machining accuracy and movements will not be as efficient if hydraulic fluids cool from a shut down. Lots of production hydraulic, pneumatic and computer controlled equipment suffer in various ways from being shut down. The heat and air for the entire building has to be maintained as well as sensitive measure equipment that is susceptible to temperature changes.

So what companies have figured out is, it is more cost effective to keep all operations and equipment running all the time, in most cases. To keep your employee head count to a bare minimum because of the cost of employees benefits like vacation time, unemployment insurance and taxes which are usually paid up within the 1st 40 hours of work except the taxes, Monday through Friday. If a machine line becomes efficient enough to get all orders done with in a 5 day work week, then guess what. More business will be sought out to keep that line running through the 6th day. I have seen lines shut down and moved out and the extra work given to an existing line that was getting their orders done in a normal 5 day week. Machine utilization.

Ok now how this effects the people working, and I have done it for 4 years straight. When you are forced to work 6 to 7 days a week, you tend to sit in front of the television and eat out more. It's hard to get off from work and go do normal outside adventure things because you are to tired, and have only maybe at best 15 hours, I have done and seen lots of people working 5 or 6 12 hour days for months on end, before you have to be back to work. People will buy all kinds of things in hopes that they will enjoy and use them (consuming) Employee, machine and building will be utilized as cost effective as possible so the profit margin will be larger.

Not trying to place blame on any person or position. It's nothing personal, but investors want more bang for their buck. They never meet the people producing the peoduct they are invested in. More people now work lots more overtime than our parents and grandparents. Leaves little time for outdoor activities.

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
Sorry I sort went a little over on that last one.
No apologies necessary. Google Trends and the KOA Report are two different types of measurements.

Google would have us believe that they are the "be all / end all", which helps them with gaining more popularity, thereafter advertisers. The recreation industry began and prospered way before Google's conception. A vast amount of data exist within the recreation industry outside of Google's reach, so look at Google as a small sampling of those who use their products and services via keyboard entries. A certain percentage of the population does not touch keyboards, but have a network of like minded people who exchange preferences, ideas, and opinions via word of mouth, and other non-internet methods.

So in summary your post is correct, but it is limited to a segment of outdoor enthusiasts. Plus, if one has already established a list of favorite places to visit for camping then one may not have a desire to look elsewhere. We know them as "return customers".

BTW: I do like your post because it is accurate and informative.

FootPathOne

Pathfinder
Now comes the challenging part. To reach out to KOA customers, and other camping business customers, so they can be introduced to, then communicate via, Camping Babble.

campforums

Founder
Staff member
Ah, that makes things much clearer. Thank you. I wonder, that is info just from Google search? I use to use it, I never use it now, (Google search engine), I use Duck Duck, they aren't as invasive with my information and so free wheeling with it either. Not that what I do makes any difference, unless after the last revelation more people have dumped Google search?!
I tried Duck Duck Go a while ago and I really like the privacy benefits but for now I am simply too dependent on the convenience of Google services. I started using a third-party password manager so that seems like a good first step for now.

But people have always been trendy. In the 90's cigar smoking was a hot topic, today almost zero. I'll bet there charts were much the same with high peeks dropping down to nothing by the end of the 90's. Just an example. You hate to see an interest in camping wane, but on the other hand, maybe the litter and garbage will slow down out there. Ha ha. Just kidding. I would imagine anyone with a vested interest hates to see the dip. Until the next spike.

When I was a kid people camped because it was basically the only thing poor people could afford to do. (Low spike) Then it became very fashionable to spend thousands of dollars to go out and 'act'poor. (High spike) Then dirt biking became popular, followed by bike camping. (Higher spike) Renewed interest in mother earth, hiking and camping too another jump. Now we are in the lazy children stage, where I believe someone (one of the moderators) said he blamed electronics....Hard to argue with him on that.
There is also the chance that people are just using different mediums for getting their camping fix that don't show up in these stats. Like instagram, social media, forums like this one, etc.

Technology and work life balance might be a contributing factor but those stats are really pretty recent. What has changed in the past 5 or 10 years? If you were telling me the past 30 years then I might agree but I don't think things have changed that drastically in the last few years.

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I tried Duck Duck Go a while ago and I really like the privacy benefits but for now I am simply too dependent on the convenience of Google services. I started using a third-party password manager so that seems like a good first step for now.

There is also the chance that people are just using different mediums for getting their camping fix that don't show up in these stats. Like instagram, social media, forums like this one, etc.

Technology and work life balance might be a contributing factor but those stats are really pretty recent. What has changed in the past 5 or 10 years? If you were telling me the past 30 years then I might agree but I don't think things have changed that drastically in the last few years.
ALL KINDS OF GOOD IDEAS HERE!

Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Sorry I sort went a little over on that last one.
Your idea are just as valid as ours. There is nothing definitive here nor has anything been concluded, so, your explanation just may be a winner after all! Remember Schrodinger Principle ( the interpretation of quantum super position) Hell, if physics can use it, so can we.....well........

Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
I tend to agree with BMWPOWER. And in addition to that I feel corporations share some of the blame, I will explain. My father always worked in some type of manufacturing company until he retired about 20 years ago. Used to people didn't work so much excessive overtime as we do now. I was in a management position before 09, and I saw it coming. Once the economy slowed in this country during 2008, corporations found that it was more economical (or in other words, increase their share holders profits) to run a department with as few people as possible. For example, my department has 3 people per 8 hour shift. Everything runs good and their profits are up. If all 9 of us are off for a 2 day weekend, the electric is still on to the equipment. Machinery with hydraulic units stay running because machining accuracy and movements will not be as efficient if hydraulic fluids cool from a shut down. Lots of production hydraulic, pneumatic and computer controlled equipment suffer in various ways from being shut down. The heat and air for the entire building has to be maintained as well as sensitive measure equipment that is susceptible to temperature changes.

So what companies have figured out is, it is more cost effective to keep all operations and equipment running all the time, in most cases. To keep your employee head count to a bare minimum because of the cost of employees benefits like vacation time, unemployment insurance and taxes which are usually paid up within the 1st 40 hours of work except the taxes, Monday through Friday. If a machine line becomes efficient enough to get all orders done with in a 5 day work week, then guess what. More business will be sought out to keep that line running through the 6th day. I have seen lines shut down and moved out and the extra work given to an existing line that was getting their orders done in a normal 5 day week. Machine utilization.

Ok now how this effects the people working, and I have done it for 4 years straight. When you are forced to work 6 to 7 days a week, you tend to sit in front of the television and eat out more. It's hard to get off from work and go do normal outside adventure things because you are to tired, and have only maybe at best 15 hours, I have done and seen lots of people working 5 or 6 12 hour days for months on end, before you have to be back to work. People will buy all kinds of things in hopes that they will enjoy and use them (consuming) Employee, machine and building will be utilized as cost effective as possible so the profit margin will be larger.

Not trying to place blame on any person or position. It's nothing personal, but investors want more bang for their buck. They never meet the people producing the peoduct they are invested in. More people now work lots more overtime than our parents and grandparents. Leaves little time for outdoor activities.
Holy smokes....Bibs thinks no matter what's going on with these theories.....killeroy154 needs a paid vacation NOW!

Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Survivalist
Your idea are just as valid as ours. There is nothing definitive here nor has anything been concluded, so, your explanation just may be a winner after all! Remember Schrodinger Principle ( the interpretation of quantum super position) Hell, if physics can use it, so can we.....well........

Bibsoutdoors
Really, really, no one touched the Schrodinger Principle? I'm so disappointed.

Bibsoutdoors