• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The imaginary Meeting Place of Babbling Campers

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Since i will no doubt not return to Kentucky, for a long time i decided to wander over to Mammoth Cave and have a look at this area. One thing I can tell you right off is the cave system is big and deep underground. However, that nice warmth that @happyflowerlady spoke of is not in this cave. In fact just going to enter the cave I was hit by a blast of ice cold air and going underground it was damp and cold. There are many areas dripping with water in this series of tunnels. I took the tour and talked with a park ranger and found this nice video about the history of the cave to share with all of you.
First is the picture of the park ranger I think any of you could know him at a glance.
hat bear.jpg And now here is the video link of the Mammoth Caves, KY

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I decided to break camp and move back to the Appalachian Trail, as I have stayed here a longtime without any other babbling camper joining me. This quest has become a one woman crusade to find a meeting place for all our forum campers. I have heard tell of some interesting places to visit in NC and SC, and so off I go glancing back sadly at my campsite and feeling a bit low that no one has joined up with me on this trail. :( :(:confused:

images-q-tbn-and9gcteqeclweemdepvbxiofsmswtvkn-vi0oia2rotsn7s5jlpyfwz0g-jpg.1001.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I am heading for a place called Spivey Gap, also known as High Rocks, in NC. Here is a picture of the big rock and sign on the trail.

upload_2015-4-9_21-33-12.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwDE1ackp-XAI670tQTkNrsISC9rRMmtXhVlYz0F7-R6EOCq2y.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I've had those experiences - no one joining me. So...I go it alone. There are a lot of welcoming places to go and I have never been disappointed. Sometimes I'm lucky to meet up with some fabulous people like I did last year. I was invited to dinner and wined and dined more than once. I get to know staff and others and even look for the same people when I return the following year. I'm not staying home....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNSXN2FJDvT_Yc-G5ufEzPR39QU8lB9utUYn9KGK6S290Js1TW.jpg
As long as I have my dog - I'll feel just fine. :)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
You are very lucky to have a dog to keep you company. Maybe I just need a imaginary one for my journey.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKCchRe3b_P-tkSsx8rRCfQy1UmDFCr5Oz0gpwdh-hP0tOlXFDiw.png

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
You are very lucky to have a dog to keep you company. Maybe I just need a imaginary one for my journey.

View attachment 1282
____________________________________________________________________________ :)

I don't know what your circumstances are but a dog can be a true friend. Reese has been just about everywhere I've been. He has been a great companion and has given me hours of fun and pleasure. Who...knows...maybe someday. I hope you are feeling a lot better these days and that your spirits will be lifted each day as the temperature increases to summer joy.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
My circumstances here at home make having a real dog at this time impossible. However, i did in the past have dogs as amazing as Reese. My last dog passed away in 2009, and loosing him broke my heart. Someday may be I will have a companion to share in on the things I love doing.
As for my spirits in real life things are looking up with Spring finally arriving. On my imaginary journey thou I do miss the company of a babbling camper. :)

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I am now in North Carolina, a friend who lives in Boone, gave me a lift into town. Had some fun visiting then I settled into a cheap ten dollar a night camping spot. There are several in the area, but I chose Mortimer - Collettsville, North Carolina, in the Cherokee National Forest. There are several areas I want to check out in this area located near Linville, such as mountains to climb and caves to explore, and waterfalls. Here is the link to low cost campsites: http://freecampsites.net/#!boone, nc

As you might know I have become a bit lonely on this journey, mainly because a few babbling campers who had promised to join me, but with the bad weather and getting lost, well, they just turned back home. And while I have met many new friends and shared a campfire or two, this lack of babbler's has been a bit depressing. So my friend offered me a stray dog of whom she had taken in, to keep me company on my journey. I would like you to meet my new friend "Golden Boy."

golden dog.jpg

We will be staying at this campsite for about a week and then moving on down the trail. in the meantime I have got to set up my camp and gather up some firewood. By the way the weather is warming up. I think spring is here to stay. :woot::woot::happy:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I have been trying to make up my mind about which natural sites i wanted to visit first and so decided to do the one that scares me the most first and then enjoy the rest of the week exploring the others. So with Golden Boy, being watched by my friend, I joined up with some new friends to go climb Grandfather Mountain. This is by far the most nerve-racking trip I have taken thus far. Up the mountain we go......:eek::eek::arghh::woot::woot:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Of course the video above is of another families journey climbing up Grandfather Mountain, but let me tell you it was scary climbing those ladders and up over the rocky ledges. Then finally your up at the top realizing then that you have to get back down again. But the view is wonderful and it is worth the time to climb this mountain. I must say watching that brave boy climb those ladders was a bit scary, I prayed he would make it safely to the top. Whew!

Our next adventure took us underground at the Linville, NC Caverns. It to was a enchanting trip, although, it was cold and damp.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I wanted to add that if any of our readers have ever visited this places in real life, please join in and tell us about your experiences. It would be a real treat to learn about the national parks you stayed at or a little hide away you discovered while hiking down the trails. Take the time to join and share. We would love to hear from you. :cool::cool::happy::happy:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
This area is so beautiful in the springtime. the hiking trails are many and so are the beautiful waterfalls. My friend's and I, decided to hike over to the closest famous waterfalls and get a good long look. Best of all we were able to take our dogs and so Golden Boy, was very excited about going for a walk. For those of you reading this here is a informative link that supplies you all with the information, as well as, the maps of the area where all the waterfalls are located at.
http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/info1.htm

dog 2.jpg
upload_2015-4-25_19-16-58.jpeg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Time to move on down the trail. I have made lots of new friends and saw many wonderful rock outcroppings and rivers and waterfalls. But we are aching to get on with our journey and our next destination is the Chimney Rock State Park. According to their website as it is quoted; Climb to the top of this towering 315-foot monolith located on the very edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains high above beautiful Hickory Nut Gorge. At a soaring elevation of 2,280 feet with its 75-mile views, this mountaintop experience will take your breath away.
There are many things to see and do in this area and so I am including a link that has lots of information about the area and video's of the points of interest.
http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/attractions-destinations/chimney-rock

Since i am traveling with my imaginary dog I thought you might enjoy knowing the rules for having dogs with you in the parks in NC. So follow this link to learn more about ways to keep both pets and park rangers happy in the areas you travel too; http://www.romanticasheville.com/pet_friendly.htm

upload_2015-4-26_16-35-5.jpeg
dog 2.jpg There are many things to do and throughout the Carolina's so we better get started. Hope to meet you on the trail.

Last edited:

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Since this picture showing the complete length of the Appalachian Trail, is so huge I wanted to share the link with all of you so you can be aware of the many states that one passes through from start to finish. Whether you start in the southern United States or up in northern Maine, it is the hiking or backpacking adventure of a lifetime that once traveled will never be forgotten. :cool::cool:
http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=117383

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
While it must seem like I am rushing down the trail at top speed, this is simply not true. I am having a slow relaxing journey and the views and natural elements are amazing. I love the woodlands and mountain regions, the waterfalls and most beautiful are these huge rock formations and outcroppings. I love setting up my now lighter weight tent and sitting by my campfire with my imaginary dog. So here are a few pictures of the restful things that I have seen and enjoyed along this amazing hiking trail.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ88Z35ORs-VQr-G-g1B2CWQNFDXuTNRmSCMt9DLPdfrjH8VsdeNA.jpg
upload_2015-5-5_20-35-0.jpeg
upload_2015-5-5_20-35-46.jpeg
dog 2.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I found this really nice blog where the Appalachian Trail Girl, talks about Campsite and Shelter Trail Etiquette. Most of the places I have stayed on this journey were clean and neat, but some were a bit of a mess. As @Dancer, always says " Pack it in and you bring it out." http://appalachiantrailgirl.com/?p=260

And I found out that the most hated and most encountered animal on the trail is not the bears, but instead the common deer mouse. This creature can chew through your pack and devour your tasty snacks all while your sleeping or away from the shelters. Says a lot for using your tent and avoiding the mice and the always possible hantavirus, caught from inhaling mouse dung dust. Check out these stories from a fellow traveler on the trail. http://www.blistersdicegame.com/trail9.htm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsAa0H6Gcc6UKXQYM7BZpR4ZJplX7zpZT_gRiczvEvdaGZPH7ROg.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Well out here on the trail I have seen some pretty wonderful and beautiful views, and thought my best days along this trail had come to an end. I need to head west soon, but then I am so close to the southern ending that it is hard to let this trail go. As I hike through North Carolina, I am a bit winded climbing these hills and valleys, and badly needed a renewed sense of adventure. That is about the time I ran into a sign advertising Roan Mountain, which is covered with bright blooming Catawba rhododendrons.
The history of this mountain dates back to the American Indians, and it's named for Daniel Boone's roan horse. Here is a bit of history from the gov site:
The first human visitors to Roan Mountain were American Indians, who lived at the base of the mountain and traveled across its gaps. The first people to study the mountain were botanists, such as Andre’ Michaux, John Fraser, and Asa Gray. They described rare plant communities and discovered scores of “new” plants, including Fraser fir, Catawba rhododendron and Grays lily.

Around 1870, General John T. Wilder bought 7,000 acres along the top and sides of Roan Mountain. It was Wilder who built the road to Carver’s Gap. He also constructed a 20-room log inn near the summit of Roan High Knob in 1877, then replaced it with the luxurious Cloudland Hotel. For about 20 years, guests enjoyed the “pure air, the delightful temperature, the clear cold spring water and the perfume-laden woodlands.” Today little evidence remains of the once grand hotel.
Now you can read more here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/null/recarea/?recid=48626&actid=64

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFMwaxoHK8FEGPpbFc7QoI99D6AZYaSvFWDlft14tHsO9pCstdFA.jpg
Panoramic-Map-of-Highlands-of-Roan-from-NC.mediumthumb.jpg

Now before all of you think I am backtracking, let me explain about some new friend's with a car wanting me to see more and wear out my legs less. So I am taking a breather and getting a ride around the great state of NC, to visit natural park sites. Yep, my new friends and of course my imaginary dog.

1354-427b92dfe2beb06635446677b9f65ebd.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Well I am back on the trail and about to depart from this nice well marked trail and start going toward the western states. I decided to skip Georgia and strike out in a westerly direction in hopes of reaching another national park in Tennessee. I am sure there are hiking trails that will afford me some peace and quiet, and shelter along the way. My plans at this point are to go to the Cherokee National Forest and avoid the high priced other entry only and reservations needed, type of park. As a babbler I like the forests and mountains, and the quiet rivers best. Hope to met one of you when I get there. http://www.fs.usda.gov/cherokee/

dog 2.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
dog 2.jpg I finally made it to the Cherokee National Forest. Still no sign of any other babbling campers, but lots of babbling brooks. . Lots of beautiful lakes and waterfalls, high mountain peaks and wildlife.

upload_2015-6-20_21-4-28.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1JE7Ts8s1Bq1PCTssnKgX2u4pxRZJCGAPuOCbelVO8Aiktc579A.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As we entered Arkansas, our journey took us through the Mammoth Springs State Park. It was such an interesting walk as we viewed the waterfalls and caves. Places I never knew existed and feel blessed to have this chance to visit them, as well as, share the details with you.
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/images/pdfs/MAMMSPRG-05.pdf
This trip has led me to some of the most hidden and yet interesting sights, from the blue ridge mountains to yet another spot in Arkansas, the wonderful Ozark Mountains and the Bull Shoals White River State Park. This area is filled with hiking trails and camping sights. Here is a link that describes this area: http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/!userfiles/pdfs/BS trailsguide2006.pdf

Golden Boy has had a wonderful time running and playing along our imaginary journey which is now making a westerly turn. I hope you will continue walking with us and join in with a comment or two along the way. Any member who wants to come along just grab your imaginary camping gear and start posting. I would love your company.
dog 2.jpg