• Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

The imaginary Meeting Place of Babbling Campers

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Gosh all this rain is causing lots of flooding in the low areas and rivers. I am camping high up on a ridge waiting for the weather to improve. Thankful that this journey allows me to kick back and enjoy the view. Hopefully this bad weather will go far far away.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDBUpdoRjroOuBuDW8yn3y8gqPTP8xxxmXBTjHeawjZI-6uTvu.jpg

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
It is a good thing that you have headed west, @2sweed ! I just was reading an article in the paper about the city of New York, and they have alligators there !
It has been a story for many years that there were alligators livingin the sewers of New York; but city officials said that it was too cold there for an alligator to survive.
However, stories have persisted since an alligator was actually seen at the bottom of a manhole many years ago.

Now, it seems, they roam the streets of Manhattan Island, giving at least some credence to the old story.
Thankfully, the fearless law enforcement of New York have captured the beast and took him off for animal control to deal with.

http://www.rt.com/usa/310715-alligator-caught-jaywalking-manhattan/

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Ah yes, the head west, well I have been kind of lax in my walking lately. I got some sad news from a friend and have been kind of sitting around and letting the dust settle. I hope to be back on the trail soon and yes I am glad there are no alligators where I am heading now.

happyflowerlady

Survivalist
Well, come and sit a spell with me on the front porch and relax. We will have fresh coffee (chocolate raspberry if you like flavored coffees), and enjoy the coolness of the shade and greenery here.
It will do your soul good, and I will enjoy your company. Hope things are going better with your friend.

image.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I look forward to sitting on your porch and drinking coffee. I had a set back do to the passing of my mother but I am about ready to head off on my search for the perfect meeting place for all babbling campers. I just found this interesting video titled How Long Would You Last On the Appalachian Trail? While it is about that trail the information shared is a good reminder for all hikers and backpackers alike that go the distance. So sit back and watch it and learn the how to do's its from an expert who has done it.

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
My summer reading included A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. A humorous and then again a serious view of his exploits on the celebrated Appalachian Trail. Two thousand one hundred miles seems daunting.

And then I read this -

The Trans Canada Trail is the world's longest network of recreational trails. When fully connected, the Trail will stretch 23,000 kilometres (14,000 mi) from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic oceans. More than 16,800 kilometres (10,400 mi) of trail are currently usable, making it approximately 75% complete in 2014. Two hundred forty gaps totalling 6,200 kilometres (3,900 mi) must be bridged in order to achieve a fully connected trail. The Trans Canada Trail has given itself until its 25th anniversary and Canada's 150th anniversary in 2017 to reach this objective.

Oh...the spirit is willing; but the flesh, the flesh is weak. :( Maybe if I could canoe it :)...but that's not likely. :dead:

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
I look forward to sitting on your porch and drinking coffee. I had a set back do to the passing of my mother but I am about ready to head off on my search for the perfect meeting place for all babbling campers. I just found this interesting video titled How Long Would You Last On the Appalachian Trail? While it is about that trail the information shared is a good reminder for all hikers and backpackers alike that go the distance. So sit back and watch it and learn the how to do's its from an expert who has done it.

Though I haven't contributed anything of any consequence - I've enjoyed reading and following this thread. Really glad to see you online :happy:.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I don't know if I shared this video before but I got to share it now. Two common sense guys out on the trail sharing info about their equipment and the rough PA trail and lots of humor and some trashy moments. LOL I enjoyed it I hope you do too. Worth watching.

Yeh! it is good to be back @Dancer, I missed you too!

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Well I had stop my travels do to the weather and family matters and so since I was back home I have decided to add a different trail to this discussion. The North Country Trail runs smack dab right near where I live and so I thought I should start back on my journey traveling this trail. For those of you who never heard of this trail I am including a map.

7State_nforests_2015.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As you can see this trail runs from upper NY state down through PA, down through OH and then back up to MI, then out west. They are talking of expanding the trail to many other areas. Here is a video about the trail.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
As i mentioned in the last two posts I decided to head out on the North Country trail and walk through Pennsylvania, and then turn south again and may be head over and visit with @happyflowerlady , in hopes she can help me find a meeting place for all us babbling campers. So I am taking off in the woods behind a friend's house and heading for Marienville, Pa. So Got my backpack and my imaginary dog and finding this trail to be steep as I climb one mountain and go down the other side, only to do it over and over again.
This video is of a young couple who has walked the entire 115 miles of trail through Pennsylvania, and are sharing their trip with you.

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
The weather has been fairly good and I am making good time in my traveling. spring has sprung and so I am on the look out for some wild edibles as well as watching out for bears. The trail has evened out a bit and I found a nice place to camp that offers some shelter from the wind. I hear by my weather radio that we are to receive another snowstorm soon and so I am gathering firewood and planning to sit out the storm right here. I am near a nice stream and sheltered by evergreens and feel this is my best spot until the storm is over. It is beautiful out here thou I wish another babbler would join me on this trail.

upload_2016-3-18_15-59-22.jpeg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTU_ZM0EDC-HuM9V3RBjXoqTPPdg32Jz1Tg-aDTPjdBpOuz0tlq.jpg

killeroy154

Survivalist
Since the the colder weather has past, Cheowa (don't tell him that he isn't a real otter) and I set off going north in your direction. Cheowa wanted to carry his own pack, but his legs are short and he would tire soon. We may be a little slow since we have started out above Gatlinburg tn on the Appalachian trail. We are headed north toward Charlies Bunyon. Supposed to rain, so I hope Cheowa's rain suit fits or he's going to be a mess.
4cfab207664e134003ed3646d4743d1f.jpg

Northern Dancer

Survivalist
...so happy to see that [I mean the bear in the pack], I always have a Baden Bear with me - big, small or huge - I've got to have a (Teddy) bear with me.

killeroy154

Survivalist
Cheowa has been around on trips with us, but this is the only time he has been hiking. Here he is on the Delta Queen river boat when it was docked Chattanooga. The river boat was built in 1927 and was still functional. It has been sold and taken south to be restored. Cheowa has stayed on it a couple of times. He loves looking at the river, but due to his physical make-up he has to stay out of the water.
7c862f1132648280a635b3fbf3c90c8c.jpg
61a55455fb1a84f65db0fcee9119e0fd.jpg

killeroy154

Survivalist
Ok, continuing on with the trip
We started at New Found Gap, which is the border of Tn and NC top of the Smokey Mtn Park, and headed north on the Appalachian trail. We stopped at Mount LeCont for lunch.
e50c1e8e7a3ac68bf0c4626e00e561b2.jpg

The cabins can be rented, but used to book up a year ahead. The only way to them is to hike. There is no road, but they do have propane for heat and lights. The propane tanks have to be flown in by helicopter. This is one of the trails up it's the Alum Cave Bluff trail.
uploadfromtaptalk1458482948495.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458482962100.jpg

killeroy154

Survivalist
@ 2sweed, my wife and I have been wanting to go to Grandfather Mtn (I noticed you talked of this place last year) we only live about 3 hours from there. It's one of those things we talk about doing, and always busy with something else.

Any how my wife is busy navigating this Alum Cave Bluff trail. They have actually attached a cable into the rock walls to some parts of the trail incase you get nervous or it gets slippery.
uploadfromtaptalk1458497751671.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
Killeroy154, Glad to see your on the trail and hopefully we will meet at some future point. Yes, I got to Grandfather mountain last year and found it quite high and scary. I am now on the Northwest Country Trail heading west and then south. But for the moment I am still in Pennsylvania awaiting a snowstorm. hoping it misses my location. Happy to see you have your otter with you for company. I am enjoying my imaginary dog. He thinks mountain streams were created just for him to play in.
happy.jpg

killeroy154

Survivalist
Killeroy154, Glad to see your on the trail and hopefully we will meet at some future point. Yes, I got to Grandfather mountain last year and found it quite high and scary. I am now on the Northwest Country Trail heading west and then south. But for the moment I am still in Pennsylvania awaiting a snowstorm. hoping it misses my location. Happy to see you have your otter with you for company. I am enjoying my imaginary dog. He thinks mountain streams were created just for him to play in.
View attachment 1681
Of course mountain streams were made for dogs to play in. We always liked the hikes and camping where there is a lake or river. Hikes are sort of boring with out the sound of a river or stream trickling or gushing over rocks and down falls as it decends toward the lowest reaches it can obtain. We have to hold onto Cheowa when we get around water.
5ecfd7cbe794be53aaceb105d3026919.jpg
Rainbow falls, it was a little dry that year.

Well I better call it a night. Grandson has the tent setup.
a8678f2e295a476ad2d869735e8ec134.jpg

2sweed

Natural Camper
Staff member
I feel like "Rip Van Winkle"will sort of. I sat down in my tent to out wait a snowstorm and low and behold, I have awakened to the fact that I have not moved for many months. The sky is blue and here in Pennsylvania, spring is on it's way in and here I sit. Guess it is time to get on down the trail before those folks that do the North Country trail every year start crowding the trail.

My bags are packed and I am ready to start off on a new adventure in hopes of finding that prefect camping spot. I sort of stayed in hopes that @killeroy154 & Otter, would find me but he must have gotten delayed or lost.

dog 2.jpg